WGR again

jahbonas

Me and all the other Sabre fans here. I watch hockey over college football. 5th rate sport? Let me guess, you watch Nascar.

Nope, try again. Went to one Nascar race in my life at Bristol & could not stand it. The tailgate was impressive but the event itself sucked. Could not wait for it to be over. I will never go again. The NFL, College Football/Basketball, the NBA, MLB & yes even NASCAR are all more popular then hockey. Don't try to argue it, it is a fact. Just check each leagues TV Contract & that will lay out the parameters about a sports popularity. The NHL is indeed a 5th/6th rate sport. I will get into the playoffs if the Sabres make a run but the regular season sucks big time.

Bills are coming off an impressive 41-7 win with its home opener days away - and today the entire morning was Sabres preseason talk. Only this crew can talk NHL preseason over regular season NFL.

And keep in mind they have dedicated shows to the topic of meaningless NFL preseason games (but apparently the preseason games of an 80 game schedule is so important)

I'm giving a pass on this one. Prospect game is on MSG tonight and and news today that Myers is about to sign a big extension. Exciting times for the Sabres.

As I type they have switched to Bills talk......

Nope, try again. Went to one Nascar race in my life at Bristol & could not stand it. The tailgate was impressive but the event itself sucked. Could not wait for it to be over. I will never go again. The NFL, College Football/Basketball, the NBA, MLB & yes even NASCAR are all more popular then hockey. Don't try to argue it, it is a fact. Just check each leagues TV Contract & that will lay out the parameters about a sports popularity. The NHL is indeed a 5th/6th rate sport. I will get into the playoffs if the Sabres make a run but the regular season sucks big time.

Not sure about NASCAR; I've heard that it has fallen off. More importantly: doesn't matter; McDonald's is a lot more popular than most of the restaurants that I eat at, too. That doesn't mean I eat at 5th- and 6th-rate restaurants, does it?

Soccer is more popular than football. Are you a big soccer fan? Do you only follow things that are popular? Or are you just the guy who has to point out that what someone else likes isn't something that he likes?

Bills are coming off an impressive 41-7 win with its home opener days away - and today the entire morning was Sabres preseason talk. Only this crew can talk NHL preseason over regular season NFL.

And keep in mind they have dedicated shows to the topic of meaningless NFL preseason games (but apparently the preseason games of an 80 game schedule is so important)

I'm not a regular listener, but on the heals of the exiting opening day win, thought I'd tune in Morning a.m. to hear the viewpoints. The Bills seemed to be the main topic for the time I listened, but my god...THE COMMERCIALS!

One day, when I have nothing else to do, I'd like to take a stopwatch and time the commercial time to program time ratio. I'll bet in any given hour during their morning show, it's at least 50% commercials. Obnoxious local yocal ads to boot! I hit the mute button on my computer keyboard, and everytime I randomly un-muted it to hear some Bills talk, there was a commercial. After about an hour I just logged off. Hardly heard more than 3 minutes of Bills talk (or any other sports) in all that time.

With tools like this forum and other internet sites at our disposal, unless you're driving around Buffalo and can't be on-line, I can't see any reason to listen to their station.

Edited by DML2005

Not sure about NASCAR; I've heard that it has fallen off. More importantly: doesn't matter; McDonald's is a lot more popular than most of the restaurants that I eat at, too. That doesn't mean I eat at 5th- and 6th-rate restaurants, does it?

Soccer is more popular than football. Are you a big soccer fan? Do you only follow things that are popular? Or are you just the guy who has to point out that what someone else likes isn't something that he likes?

No I am not saying that at all. I am just pointing out that hockey is about the 6th or 7th notch on the bed post when it comes to popularity & to be talking about it at all in mid September with everything else that is going on in the sports world is ridiculous & I don't care what market you are in.

No I am not saying that at all. I am just pointing out that hockey is about the 6th or 7th notch on the bed post when it comes to popularity & to be talking about it at all in mid September with everything else that is going on in the sports world is ridiculous & I don't care what market you are in.

Guess I gotta just disagree, then. It's the eve of preseason (5 days away from first game, 3 from training camp), the team's youngsters are on TV tonight, and there was a major signing today. It's not like they dedicated the whole morning to it, like a few people have said.

EDIT--also, I'm pretty sure that in this market, the NHL is second in popularity among every sport we've seen mentioned so far. Not 6th or 7th. And it's a local broadcast.

Edited by Offsides Number 76

Don't really care where hockey is rated nationally. I'm a big hockey fan and most who don't watch can't understand it.

Now check the local television ratings and see why a local radio show would talk hockey:

The Buffalo Sabres failed to defeat the Philadelphia Flyers in their seven-game Eastern Conference Quarterfinals series, but their local TV ratings on MSG led all NHL markets in the opening round.

Buffalo averaged an 18.8 rating (119,000 homes) for the six games on MSG, more than two full points ahead of Pittsburgh’s 16.5 for seven games. This does not include Buffalo’s Game 6 rating on NBC of 24.0, the team’s highest-rated game since recording a 26.8 on May 19, 2007, in the deciding Game 5 of the Conference Finals on NBC against Ottawa. NBC’s national rating for Game 6 was 1.4 (2.57 million viewers), making it the most-viewed NHL non-conference final game in 12 years.

http://www.buffalosportsdaily.com/sabres-led-all-local-markets-in-tv-ratings-in-first-round/

I can see where some people would have issues. But the Bills have played ONE game. They take on a Raiders team with some weapons and a nice win in Denver. So lets hang on here.

Now the Bills did just about NOTHING in the offseason while the Sabres new owner comes out and says "win a cup at any price"

Im sorry, I love the Bills and the Sabres and I dont have alot of money, but right now, my dollar I spend on sports entertainment goes right to the Sabres and their dedication to win.

I want the city of Buffalo to enjoy a championship. We all deserve it.

LET'S GO BUFFALO!!!! I cannot wait for the NHL season to start- I have my NHL Center Ice already purchased. I cannot help you don't like Sabres hockey AND Bills football :P

Yancey's Fancy's Artisan Cheese, the official Artisan Cheese of the Buffalo Sabres by the way, will go real good with your whine.

I've tried to listen a couple of times through internet feeds and can never last beyond 5 minutes. Who's the guy that talks like Sylvester the cat? Whoever that guy is, he's the biggest idiot I've ever heard on a sports radio station. He's embarrassingly bad and it's not because of his lisp. He has 0 skills in critical thinking.

I live in NJ and listen to a lot of WFAN (NYC) and The Fanatic (Philly) and the difference in competence between these stations and WGR is staggering. I literally cringe when sampling shows from WGR. It's as if the biggest idiot poster from TSW somehow got his own daily show because he had compromising pictures of the station owner.

It's too bad that some of the former players who still live in Buffalo and who actually have a brain couldn't be brought in to host a daily show. Or maybe even a competent fan from TSW that lives in Buffalo. The past two years WFAN has had a contest where the winner gets his own 2 hour overnight show for a year. WGR should something like that pronto. I'd bet they'd find at least 50 people who were better than what they have now.

It's not 6th or 7th in WNY and that is WGR's target audience. :doh: