Best Bills Game Ever

Astrobot

Gotta go with the comback game, but only because I was there. my brother was at the 51-3 game and said it was beyond amazing.

On a side, note, looking over the stats for that game was rather interesting.

6 picks by our defense?!? two by talley? Also, despite all the picks, only one sack.

Also, kelly threw for a very respectable 300 yards (especially back then), but I would have expected more given the score. Also, 3 TD's by Kenneth Williams, only one by Thurman. Two TDs to lofton, none to reed.

I definitely don't remember the injury report from that game, to know who was in the game, but the stats are definitely not what I would have expected.

good memories, time to make some more.

GO BILLS!

The Comeback is my vote. Blockbuster game. One of the best in the game's history.

The playoff games are definitely the best. Easy to pick the Comeback as #1. SuperBowl 25 and Home Run Throwback were also great games with the wrong outcome.

My top 3 non-playoff games:

1) second game of the season, 1982, Thursday night game before the strike, down 19-3 and come back to win against the Vikings 23-22 on a late Ferguson to Jerry Butler TD.

2) The 1997 Todd Collins comeback against the Colts where the Bills won 37-35 after being down 26-0 with JIM KELLY in the booth analyzing.

3) The 2002 snow game with Drew Bledsoe against Miami. Even though Ricky Williams ran for 230 years or something, at the start of the 4th quarter I couldn't even see the field but I could *HEAR* the roar of the fans in the stadium cheering a breeze that came off the Lake carrying a ton of snow.

That 51-3 game was my favorite, too, especially because it meant we were going to our first SB, and at that point who didn't believe we were going to win?

I took my VHS tape copy of that game with me to Tampa, and they played it, basically on a loop, over and over and over again at the Nickel City bar in Tampa from Thursday night until right before the game.

I remember helping to carry the goalposts off the field and into the stands, if this is indeed the 51-3 game we're talking about...freakin' wild experience...

I think you have this mixed up with another game. I'm quite sure there were cops on horses surrounding the field and there was no storming of the field......I'm quite sure that ended in '88.

That 51-3 game was my favorite, too, especially because it meant we were going to our first SB, and at that point who didn't believe we were going to win?

I took my VHS tape copy of that game with me to Tampa, and they played it, basically on a loop, over and over and over again at the Nickel City bar in Tampa from Thursday night until right before the game.

I was thinking that too.Then it all went downhill from there lol. I remember NBC announcer Bill Walsh before the game went thru all the keys and graded Bills superior across the board. Then curiously took Raiders anyway lol.

Comeback against the Oilers, although record setting, really wasn't all that interesting. After Moon starting throwing picks and Reed was clicking in the slot, the conclusion was foretold even when Bills were down by multiple scores.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/197509280pit.htm

1975 at Pittsburgh. Steelers were defending Super Bowl champions and would win the title again that year. Bills shreaded one of the best Ds of all time for over 300 yards on the ground. Steelers would lose only one other game that year, a last week meaningless game.

Agreed, that OJ's greatest game in my opinion.

To me, the best game ever by the Bills was the AFC Championship that advanced the Bills to their first Super Bowl. The Raidahs scored first on a field goal, then the Bills answered with 51 unanswered points. :thumbsup:

Kelly's no-huddle, the 12th man, and the 0-degree weather (snow warnings of up to a foot of snow) got to the Raiders, who had to run a base defense all afternoon. Top that this season, Bills!

youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

Well they wont top that but I will settle for a winning season.

Has to be the Great Comeback; one of the most exciting games in league history.

Totally agree. How can there be one higher. We were dead to rights in a playoff game with no starting qb or rb against a solid Houston team that beat us the last game of that season.

I remember helping to carry the goalposts off the field and into the stands, if this is indeed the 51-3 game we're talking about...freakin' wild experience...

i remember that game because i went to watch it at a strip club in fort erie and ended up half nekkid on stage with performer named 'strawberry fields'. she tore the buttons off my shirt and pants. i was wearing long johns. pretty sure she was high as a kite since the joint turned on all the lights and took her off the stage, not me. combo that with good food, giant tv, legal beer (i was 19), and a bills romp and you have yourself one hell of a day.

I was watching Sportscenter at the bar last night. They had a top ten list of the best NFL games of the last 25 years. Three of them were Bills games: The Greatest Comeback (which was number one), Super Bowl XXV (which was 3rd or 4th) and the game without a punt against the 49ers (7th or 8th).

I remember watching that SF game off a direct feed from a satellite which meant no commercials. It had the #1 NBC announcers, and during the commercial time, they were just gushing over what a historic game it was by the end of the third quarter, because of the offensive talent on display by both sides.

The Bills v Raiders on a monday night game. First or second year

@ Rich Stadium. The Raiders had not lost on a Monday Night game.

The lead changed 3 times in the last 5 minutes of the game with the Bills winning it with about 20 seconds left.

I think that the game also featured the idiot from Toronto doing the high wire act.

That 49'er game has to be right up there. The No-Punt Game:

Those were the days, my friend. (I thought they'd never end!)

I was at the 'No Punt' game, having the good fortune to sit in the KRON-TV box (courtesy of The Dean). After watching 2 of the best teams in football both scoring at will since the opening kickoff, it was somewhere in Q3 all game when one of us asked, "Hey, has anyone had to punt yet?"

Was also lucky enough to be visiting Buffalo and to attend that 51-3 AFC title game against the Raiders. My favorite moment, if I had to pick just one (there were so many), was the shell-shocked look on Art Shell's face - totally bewildered and forced to call a timeout just 2 minutes in - as Kelly & Co. unleashed that merciless no-huddle offense. Didn't even feel the cold up there in the upper deck!

Enjoy, kids...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I57EZLhJn7g

502 yards! God, we were invincible back then.

Bills in a Hurry to Beat Raiders

Bills' Quick Offense Trounces Raiders, 51-3

Jim Kelly was good.

Thanks for that LSI moment! :lol:

Edited by The Senator

Looked like a girl peeing lol

But seriously Kelly reminds me of Brady in that game. Did best out of shotgun, saw the whole field, did just as well with the underneath passes as the deep routes, not fast but nimble and smart enough to know how to stay upright and turn probable sacks into positive yardage scrambles.

I wonder how much bellicheks offensive philosophy was influenced by the Kgun. After all he was the DC for giants that year in the super bowl.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Best Bills game I ever attended HAS to be the comeback game, for the sheer thrill and historical significance of the result.

Best Bills game I ever watched on TV is tougher to come up with, because I attended all of the great home games from '90 through '93. I recall the Bills-Jets wild card game from '81 as being a great and exciting game, even though I was only 12 at the time. The 49ers-Bills no punt game is right up there. Also, even though it wasn't a "pretty" game, the Bills-Raiders game in December of '91 was a classic -- great 4th quarter comeback by the Bills despite a missed Norwood PAT and several other misses. That game was even more notable because it was the Raiders' first attempt at "revenge" after the 51-3 shellacking in the prior season's AFC Championship.

Edited by eball

I might have to go with you on this...but, when the Bills breaking "the curse", opening day, of the 1980 season at Rich Stadium, ending their 21 game streak of futility over the fish, was right up there. I was at that game, and to this day, it is probably the most euphoric sporting moment I have ever witnessed live...the energy in the stadium that day was just amazing...only other time I felt it, at a Bills game, was when Jim Kelly was introduced, for his first opening day at Rich, against the Jets...the crowd was so loud when he was announced, you could just feel the stadium vibrating...

Of course, I wasn't at that Raiders game (I have been to close to 200 Bills games in my days, but never a playoff game), but I do remember almost crying when that game was winding down...I remeber they showed Bennett, Seals and Bruce all kind of dancing on the benches in front of the crowd, and then they showed Jim Kelly zinging balls up into the stands...I got a lump in my throat, I must admitt...I never thought I would see that day...

I'm hoping to have the same good feeling when we finally get over our "Patriots Curse" and actually beat them