What will you all do?

Silvercrw

Yep. This funny and what I should have done years ago...

I was in Desert Storm when the Bills went to their first Super Bowl. A soldier, knowing I was a Bills fan, woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me he just heard on a BBC shortwave news broadcast that the Bills had won on a last second field goal. But he warned me there was a lot of static on the radio and maybe he understood wrong. I sprung out of my makeshift bunk and kept my ear inches from the radio waiting for confirmation.

Deep in the Arabian Desert we could only get one or two English language stations. Once in a while, the Iraqis broadcasted "Baghdad Betty" who played American music interspersed with propaganda messages like, "American Soldier in the desert, did you know that moving sand dunes hundreds of feet high can bury you while you sleep? Go back to your girlfriends and wives in America where you are safe." I didn't think Betty was likely to give me the Super Bowl results.

The other English-language radio broadcast was the BBC's version of Voice of America. A propaganda tool for the Brits, the BBC provided periodic news updates. The Super Bowl was not high on their priority list and I waited that night in a dimly lit tent in an endless field of sand for hours only to be crushed when the actual result was announced.

Great story! I was in the Gulf at the same time on a ship. We were able to catch the entire game on Armed Forces Radio in the comm center. A bunch of Bills and Giants fans sitting around in the wee hours listening to the game. Oh the $&@% we took after the game. Great memories though! Remember Baghdad Betty as well as nightly calls from the "Filipino Monkey" on VHF marine channel 16.

Great story! I was in the Gulf at the same time on a ship. We were able to catch the entire game on Armed Forces Radio in the comm center. A bunch of Bills and Giants fans sitting around in the wee hours listening to the game. Oh the $&@% we took after the game. Great memories though! Remember Baghdad Betty as well as nightly calls from the "Filipino Monkey" on VHF marine channel 16.

I'm not sure which was worst - listening to the game with that heartbreaking ending and enduring the "$&@%" afterwards like you did, or missing it entirely like I did with my ear glued to a cheap shortwave radio set waiting for a sports update. I can only imagine the ribbing you must have received!

I guess either option is better than suffering through a decade long playoff drought. At least we were relevant in those days.

Funny. Even though we couldn't know at that time if we and our friends would get home okay, that night nothing was more important than the Super Bowl.

Baghdad Betty was always good for a laugh. Never heard the "Filipino Monkey" though.

I was in Desert Storm when the Bills went to their first Super Bowl. A soldier, knowing I was a Bills fan, woke me up in the middle of the night to tell me he just heard on a BBC shortwave news broadcast that the Bills had won on a last second field goal. But he warned me there was a lot of static on the radio and maybe he understood wrong. I sprung out of my makeshift bunk and kept my ear inches from the radio waiting for confirmation.

Deep in the Arabian Desert we could only get one or two English language stations. Once in a while, the Iraqis broadcasted "Baghdad Betty" who played American music interspersed with propaganda messages like, "American Soldier in the desert, did you know that moving sand dunes hundreds of feet high can bury you while you sleep? Go back to your girlfriends and wives in America where you are safe." I didn't think Betty was likely to give me the Super Bowl results.

The other English-language radio broadcast was the BBC's version of Voice of America. A propaganda tool for the Brits, the BBC provided periodic news updates. The Super Bowl was not high on their priority list and I waited that night in a dimly lit tent in an endless field of sand for hours only to be crushed when the actual result was announced.

Thanks to both of you for your service!!

I'm the most optimistic person in the world, but I struggle to think what I would do if the Bills made the playoffs. I may even shed a tear. I was a kid when the Bills were dominate in the 90s, so I jsut assumed they would always make the playoffs every year. In fact, I used to think the Bills were losers because they would lose the Super Bowl. My how expectations have changed.

I gotta say... this may be the best Bills story I've ever read heard! For serving this country, you have my respect and admiration. For sharing this story, you have my appreciation.

All the best to you!

If there was one game in Bills history I'd have liked to miss, it's probably THAT one... Thanks for serving our great country and standing up for Liberty and Freedom throughout the world.

Not sure about division, but it seems the Bills are on track to win at some other math functions, e.g., They are subtracting the salaries of capable players by trading them; and adding FA signings for much smaller salaries. This appears to add up to another season where the problems multiply.

yep...