Expectations for Stevie Johnson this year

Phlegm Alley

Even though we are seemingly deep at the WR position, there are still a lot of questions marks at the position. Is Stevie a bonafide #1 WR? Who will play the role of Evans in stretching the field? Will last year's rookies continue to develop and build on the body of work they have started to establish?

Stevie is coming off his 3rd season and it was a breakout career year. Do you guys think he will better the 82 catch, 1,073 yard, 13.1/ypc, 10 TD season?

I for one, think he will regress to the mean for a number of reasons, kinda like Evans after his 82 rec, 1,292 yard, 15.8/ypc, 8 TD season in 2006. After that season, Evans regressed to 55 rec, 849 yard, 5 TDs. Here is why I think Stevie's numbers will be lower:

•  
  • First, and the most obvious reason, with the loss of Evans, I don't think the Bills have an established #2 WR to take any pressure off of SJ. We have guys that have the potential, but there needs to be someone to step up. It kinda reminds me of how good the Bills were when they had Moulds, Peerless, and a young up-and-coming Josh Reed. Because of the promise Reed showed, the Bills traded PP thinking that Reed would continue to develop and take pressure off of Moulds. It didn't work out that way and the Bills offense regressed tremendously with Bledsoe at the helm.
  • We had no running game last year. As a team, the Bills scored 6 rushing TDs. That's pathetic. With a hopefully improved running game, the Bills won't be forced to throw the ball as much, thus reducing SJ's chances.
  • The continued development of the other WRs. With Donald Jones, David Nelson, a hopefully healthy Roscoe for the entire season, and Marcus Easley all improving on their numbers from last year, the offense should be more balanced with Fitz spreading the ball around to a lot of different guys.
  • The Bills will feature a better defense, which means the team will be in closer games and not from behind so much. SJ got a lot of garbage time looks to pad his stats last year. I can specifically think of the 1st Patriots game when he caught a TD late in the game and think about the Bengal game. We were getting destroyed down 28-7 early forcing the Bills to throw the ball more.

With that said, I still think Stevie will have a good year. But I think it will end up being a season like 60-65 catches for 850 yards and 6 TDs. What do you guys think his stats will look like?

Even though we are seemingly deep at the WR position, there are still a lot of questions marks at the position. Is Stevie a bonafide #1 WR? Who will play the role of Evans in stretching the field? Will last year's rookies continue to develop and build on the body of work they have started to establish?

Stevie is coming off his 3rd season and it was a breakout career year. Do you guys think he will better the 82 catch, 1,073 yard, 13.1/ypc, 10 TD season?

I for one, think he will regress to the mean for a number of reasons, kinda like Evans after his 82 rec, 1,292 yard, 15.8/ypc, 8 TD season in 2006. After that season, Evans regressed to 55 rec, 849 yard, 5 TDs. Here is why I think Stevie's numbers will be lower:

•  
  • First, and the most obvious reason, with the loss of Evans, I don't think the Bills have an established #2 WR to take any pressure off of SJ. We have guys that have the potential, but there needs to be someone to step up. It kinda reminds me of how good the Bills were when they had Moulds, Peerless, and a young up-and-coming Josh Reed. Because of the promise Reed showed, the Bills traded PP thinking that Reed would continue to develop and take pressure off of Moulds. It didn't work out that way and the Bills offense regressed tremendously with Bledsoe at the helm.
  • We had no running game last year. As a team, the Bills scored 6 rushing TDs. That's pathetic. With a hopefully improved running game, the Bills won't be forced to throw the ball as much, thus reducing SJ's chances.
  • The continued development of the other WRs. With Donald Jones, David Nelson, a hopefully healthy Roscoe for the entire season, and Marcus Easley all improving on their numbers from last year, the offense should be more balanced with Fitz spreading the ball around to a lot of different guys.
  • The Bills will feature a better defense, which means the team will be in closer games and not from behind so much. SJ got a lot of garbage time looks to pad his stats last year. I can specifically think of the 1st Patriots game when he caught a TD late in the game and think about the Bengal game. We were getting destroyed down 28-7 early forcing the Bills to throw the ball more.

With that said, I still think Stevie will have a good year. But I think it will end up being a season like 60-65 catches for 850 yards and 6 TDs. What do you guys think his stats will look like?

You contradicted yourself smart one lol :rolleyes:

And nah man Stevie gonna be just fine and will top 1000 again. He has shown to be as consistent as he was last year in the preseason and he was just fine without Evans for the last 4 games of last year.

Plus with the Evans of 2006 comparison i think you need to remember that Evans had freakin J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards throwing him the ball with Dick Jauron as the head coach who implemented the worst offensive schemes that could possibly be conceived. I am very confident to say that Fitzpatrick and Gailey are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more competent than those idiots and will find ways to get Stevie the ball just fine.

And in all honestly Stevie can have a bad year and have like 45 catches for 500 yards or somethin for all i care as long as the Bills make the playoffs :nana:

And nah man Stevie gonna be just fine and will top 1000 again. He has shown to be as consistent as he was last year in the preseason and he was just fine without Evans for the last 4 games of last year.

Plus with the Evans of 2006 comparison i think you need to remember that Evans had freakin J.P. Losman and Trent Edwards throwing him the ball with Dick Jauron as the head coach who implemented the worst offensive schemes that could possibly be conceived. I am very confident to say that Fitzpatrick and Gailey are waaaaaaaaaaaaay more competent than those idiots and will find ways to get Stevie the ball just fine.

And in all honestly Stevie can have a bad year and have like 45 catches for 500 yards or somethin for all i care as long as the Bills make the playoffs :nana:

Without Lee SJ had 21 catches for 283 yards and 1 TD which translates to 84 catches 1132 and 4 TD's, also last game was against Jets resting their starters. Still SJ's numbers are not up to par with a number 1, and 1 TD in 4 games with one team resting their starters is pitiful.

Without Lee SJ had 21 catches for 283 yards and 1 TD which translates to 84 catches 1132 and 4 TD's, also last game was against Jets resting their starters. Still SJ's numbers are not up to par with a number 1, and 1 TD in 4 games with one team resting their starters is pitiful.

Than realize that over that span Johnson was only one of 10 other wr's to put up 20 catches and 200 yards but yeah "not on par" heh

??? You understand he caught 10 touchdowns right? And 9 of them would have been in games that teams were trying to win and not resting their starters? So do those not count? This post makes zero sense

People shouldn't call others unintelligent while displaying piss poor grammar.

GRAMMER POLISE :oops:

84 catches and 1,132 yards is actually slightly ahead of his totals for the 2010 season, sooooooooo...

Without Lee SJ had 21 catches for 283 yards and 1 TD which translates to 84 catches 1132 and 4 TD's, also last game was against Jets resting their starters. Still SJ's numbers not up to par with a number 1, and 1 TD in 4 games with one team resting their starters is pitiful.

Didn't Brohm start the Jets game? We can't hold that against Stevie.

I am more worried about SJ staying healthy. Stevie always looks like he's about to get his knees destroyed after catching a slant, whether its getting his legs taken out in a low blow, or like the last preaseason game when he was horse-collar tackled. I think his body type which teeters towards slender and lack of speed exposes him to more blows. Stevie needs to learn how to catch the ball and go down fast without getting in a battle with a safety or linebacker.

I guarantee SJ will get Revis twice, Belichick's attention twice, Miami's attention twice, & NY Giants a la Perry Fewell. Don't think for a second that he won't be doubled teamed or head hunted. SJ like Fitz faded as the season wore on. And I wonder if teams will want to test his toughness by playing press coverage to mess up the timing of his routes. SJ needs to prove he is mentally and physically strong enough to beat press coverage and double teams.

I don't think that was a contradiction. My point is that there are guys on the team like Easley (who didn't contribute at all last year) and Parrish (who missed half the season) who are going to get significant amounts of playing time and are expected to have some decent production. This doesn't neccessarily mean that one of them will become a viable #2 WR.

I for one, think he will regress to the mean

Did someone on NFL network or ESPN start using this idiotic phrase? This has to be the third time this week I've heard it. No offense to OP because obviously you're just using the new parlance of our times, but can anyone clarify where this pseudo-intellectual verbal excrement came from?

Edited by Rob's House

Steve may not be a #1 WR. I don't think any single WR on this team will put up huge numbers. But we have so many that I don't think anyone will get double-coverage, and if they do, another one will be open. Fitz is a QB who can read the D and audible for a play to the open WR. I think the WR corp as a whole will put up good numbers, but that the balls will be spread around too much for any one WR to have a monster year.

90-1050-6.

I think he'll get more touches but less big plays. We have a few big targets in the end zone (Nelson, easley, Chandler), so i don't think he'll get 10 tds again. He's BY FAR our best WR and Fitzy loves him, his catches will go up, but his ypc goes down