Clayton ranks Fitz 27th, warns Bills fans to get ready for Luck

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you just compare Stevie Johnson with Calvin and Andre?

If so, that's quite a "homer" statement.

The comparison ends with the last name...

I realize you're trying to establish the fact Detroit & Houston don't have premier #2 receivers either, but mentioning the Bills current lot of secondary receivers burning one on one coverage doesn't scare anybody.

Lee Evans took the top of defenses. You can't replace pure straight line speed or the threat of the deep ball that easily.

This is more fan logic than the "#2" nonsense.

Lee didn't take the top off of defenses because there was no threat of the deep ball. Teams can look at tape and realize that Fitzy doesn't throw the long ball.

It's just groupthink, fallacy.

Lee Evans was a square peg in a round whole.

The "double teams" and deep safety talk will disappear by week 4.

And you can replace straight line speed. There are literally dozens of super fast WR in this league. Look at the Raiders they have 5 WRs that could probably win the bronze in an olympic relay event but can't catch a cold. On Sunday there will be many cuts and many of the people will have straight line speed. Its proven to be one of the least important qualities for a WR. Look at Jerry Rice, Look at Terrell Owens, look at Marvin Harrison, look at Steve Largent, look at Art Monk, look at Andre Reed, look at Chris Carter . . .

Edited by Why So Serious?

ESPN is the Wal-Mart of sports now.

Pay attention to the brands that make the most $ (Vick, pats, and Peyton etc) and whatever sells.

The Bills do NOT sell. Hence, you will get lazy writing like this from Clayton who probably can't see what the Bills are going because he and other NFL hacks have their head so far up the corporate ass of Roger Goddell that they don't know any better.

the new dictator of the NFL has made it CLEAR he has favorites, no matter how much spin he provides for the schills like Peter King etc to report as 'facts'.

Having said this, with Ralph's reputation around the league, and the 11 years of non-playoff appearances, can you really blame these hacks for feeling about Buffalo the way that they do?

Sounds about right to me. Fact is, very few of the "pros" have paid attention to the Bills because they have sucked so bad, for so long. They watch and talk football ALL THE TIME, so when it comes down a choice between "I wanna watch some Buffalo Bills footage, and catch up on what they are doing up there in WNY" or "Man, I have been at this 70 hours a week this season, we never talk about the Bills, time to relax" which would you choose if you were them?

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Clayton is about has the same amount of insight in terms of x's and o's, as the rest of the nobs at the mothership(none). All he's good for is really breaking any news. Not saying that Fitz is gonna light the world on fire and we won't be picking early on in the draft, but I'm not gonna be believing it from Clayton.

Sanchez at 17....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Why not...He was clutch in the playoffs and won games for his team....

People use fantasy numbers to identify who are good QBs....Tom Brady, Ben Rothelisberger and Mark Sanchez all have this in common....They win games for their teams right from the get go in their career. They did not have great stats, but did just enough to avoid making bad mistakes and let the team win the game...On the other hand while Fitz was good throwing the ball to many receivers, made very poor judgement at crucial times and threw picks or fumbled and caused us to lose quite a few games last year.

NFL is a parity driven league...and just a few plays here and there are the difference between the two teams playing on that day...You avoid those mistakes and your team gets a chance to be in the post season.

Tom Brady - Super Bowl Champion in his 1st season as starter

Ben Rothelisberger - AFC Champion in his rookie season, Super Bowl champion in 2nd season

Mark Sanchez - Two time AFC Conference finalist in his first two seasons...

I would love to have that than being the doormat.

And if you remember our glory years....Jim Kelly never had better stats than Marino or Elway or Boomer Esiason, but he won more games than those three...

Edited by ganesh

Why not...He was clutch in the playoffs and won games for his team....

People use fantasy numbers to identify who are good QBs....Tom Brady, Ben Rothelisberger and Mark Sanchez all have this in common....They win games for their teams right from the get go in their career. They did not have great stats, but did just enough to avoid making bad mistakes and let the team win the game...On the other hand while Fitz was good throwing the ball to many receivers, made very poor judgement at crucial times and threw picks or fumbled and caused us to lose quite a few games last year.

I didn't realize both Sanchez and Fitz played in the run defense packages.

QBs are often big difference-makers, and Sanchez has made some strides, but he looks about as league average as Fitz does to me, for different reasons. QBs don't win the game alone, though, and you don't win many games allowing as many yards on the ground as the Bills did. That seems independent of Fitz's performance, and in fact it also limits Fitz's opportunities by virtue of eating up clock for the Bills' offense to use.

link

27. Ryan Fitzpatrick, Buffalo Bills

Analysis: Just when Fitzpatrick was building a nice passing offense with Lee Evans and Steve Johnson, the Bills trade Evans to Baltimore and now lack the outside threat to take coverage away from Johnson. Bills fans can start following the Stanford schedule of Andrew Luck, who might be the Bills' next quarterback.

I was as critical of the Evans trade as anyone, but our only hope that the national media wouldn't have picked up on is the play of Easely. It's a big "if" but if he can pull it off, we could be out of the "Luck Bowl." If not hard to argue with Mr. Tales from the Crypt

He is off a little bit. I would say closer to 22 overall.

Fitzpatrick will have a better season than Brady. Remember where you read it first.

LOL. I hope the best, but this comment is borderline dillusional. Brady vs Fitz. I'd Take Brady in that fight.

I thought i heard it first that mike leach was going to ____________ or that ryan mallett was gonna be the first QB off the board?

Yawn

Clayton is a moron plain and simple.

Why does he hate the Bills so much?? Did some idoits thow snow balls at him once?

I agree that Clayton is a moron. But in this case it is difficult to argue with him. As much as many fans love Fitz, nobody with any common sense could argue that Fitz is a top NFL QB. Combine that with the lack of an offensive line and it is fair to assume that Fitz is going to have a tough season. Based on most of the comments in the thread, most fans would put Fitz around 20-22. Since this ranking was very subjective on Clayton's part, I have a hard time really criticizing him for putting Fitz just slightly lower than most of the Bills fans with their rose colored glasses would put him. The simple fact is, Fitz is an average to below average NFL QB playing behind a horrible OL and throwing to a group of young, talented, but unproved receivers.

This is more fan logic than the "#2" nonsense.

Lee didn't take the top off of defenses because there was no threat of the deep ball. Teams can look at tape and realize that Fitzy doesn't throw the long ball.

It's just groupthink, fallacy.

Lee Evans was a square peg in a round whole.

The "double teams" and deep safety talk will disappear by week 4.

And you can replace straight line speed. There are literally dozens of super fast WR in this league. Look at the Raiders they have 5 WRs that could probably win the bronze in an olympic relay event but can't catch a cold. On Sunday there will be many cuts and many of the people will have straight line speed. Its proven to be one of the least important qualities for a WR. Look at Jerry Rice, Look at Terrell Owens, look at Marvin Harrison, look at Steve Largent, look at Art Monk, look at Andre Reed, look at Chris Carter . . .

You're confusing Fitzy with Trent I think. Fitzpatrick chucks deep balls every game; they just hit the turf more often than not.

On the speed post, you're making my point for me. Pure speed in the NFL at WR is at a surplus. There is an art form involved and Lee Evans has the ability to get deep consistently. None of those clowns on Oakland or any other burnt out track star including Usain Bolt can accomplish that.

Back to the original topic of Luck coming to the Bills, I think Matt Barkley is the more logical pick. I'm not implying Barkley is equal or better than Luck, but the Bills will pick top 10 guaranteed, but not 1st overall.

You're confusing Fitzy with Trent I think. Fitzpatrick chucks deep balls every game; they just hit the turf more often than not.

On the speed post, you're making my point for me. Pure speed in the NFL at WR is at a surplus. There is an art form involved and Lee Evans has the ability to get deep consistently. None of those clowns on Oakland or any other burnt out track star including Usain Bolt can accomplish that.

Back to the original topic of Luck coming to the Bills, I think Matt Barkley is the more logical pick. I'm not implying Barkley is equal or better than Luck, but the Bills will pick top 10 guaranteed, but not 1st overall.

I agree Fitzy would air it our once or twice a game just to keep defenses honest.

I don't think Lee Evans was key to the effect it had on defenses though, he can still have Easely, Roscoe, or Jones run a 9 route and force the safety to stay home. My point is the deep threat wasn't much a threat in real terms, and D-Cos knew that in the game plan.

Either way I think you're right 6-10 and pick #8-12 is most likely the reality for the 2011 Bills, and that puts you in Matt Barkley\Landry Jones territory, depending on a lot of things.

I think Barkley is too small and too weak armed to be effective in Buffalo, but hey, Colt McCoy is actually finding his way on the other end of Lake Erie, in the NFL and there are a lot of similarities between Colt McCoy and Barkley, physically and style of play.

We will see, but it seems like 2012 draft will be the year of the QB of the future, unless of course we go 10-6 and make a wildcard (a boy can dream . . .)

• 1 month later...