Jasper as ILB??

D521646

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the best way to get Jasper on the team is to get him proficient enough at a single position that he can play at the NFL level. It's bizarre to recommend any position will get him there faster than one he's already played.

And yes, I think it would be great if we had a big strong run-plugger on our defence. But really, he's got a better chance of making the team as an offensive lineman than ILB, and the best chance of all getting better at his current position.

Why start over? (This is rhetorical.)

The possibilities are endless...you are putting a defender in who has to have basic cover skills and run stopping skills. Suffice it to say, Jasper would be one dimensional. I.e. he is going to run blitz every play. I think an offensive coordinator of a 'professional' football team could exploit this. Much of the NFL is about isolation on a defender and exploitation. This is a set up and if they don't attack mike directly someone else is 'thin' in covering for him. I love your bravado and it would be neat to see 'that' defense. Just wouldn't work but for the initial surprise.

To directly answer your question...Come up in Single back set with two tight ends, two wide outs. QB under center. He sees Mike drooling at behind the nose. Audible to shotgun formation; one tight end drops to fullback slot (giving you two blockers in backfield). there is a 'hole' in your 3-4 defense. Run hot (quick) patterns with two wideouts and remaining tight end. I suspect we'd complete this most of the time.

Hmmm.. Two tight ends, two wide outs, assuming only one TE will be used to counter Jasper and help out the O-Line, we add them up and have 3 potential receivers, and one RB. Let's see how this plays out? We have 2 LB ready on the outside, two safety's, and two CB's to cover three receivers, and one RB.. I like our chances on that one. :) Especially if they run outside, which is of course what they'd have to do.. :)

Next?

Tim-

I like the idea. Can't hurt to experiment with it in the last pre-season game at least. That's what pre-season is for. Some people (those who posted above) must love the status-quo in Buffalo of loosing seasons year after year. It's pre-season, time to experiment. If it fails, who cares.

Who cares? Apparently a lot of people on this board do. It is a foolish move however.

By the way, the point of defense is to take the advantage away from the offense which has it going into every play. By limiting (Forcing) your opponents into areas of strength, you gain the advantage. In a strong 4 - 3 we limit what the Offense can do, buy one, shortening the field of coverage, allowing for man to man more with our coners, which, two, free's up the safety's with 20 yards to cover bubble screens, or slants, or, sweeps. With competent corners this defense works, just ask Ryan and the Jet's. They've been doing it for three years this way.. :)

Tim-

Edited by D521646

Jasper is slow.

I watched him exclusively on NFL Preseason Live during the Jags game and could not believe 1) how slow he was off the snap and 2) how easily he was handled one on one.

My only thought was that the Bills told him to intentionally suck so we could place him on the practice squad without fear of him getting plucked.

The whole point of having big bodies up front is to occupy lineman so that the linebackers can make plays. By the time Jasper got to the line of scrimmage, the play would already be headed in a new direction. If I were an offense and I saw Jasper lined up as a ILB, I would run a sweep play to the outside and pull 2 offense lineman out in front of the RB. Jasper would be taken out of the play right away.

Ok coach, or QB, what do you do on 2nd/3rd down when you see Jasper lining up behind the NT? Come on sparky, break it to me. :)

Tim-

You run right f&%@ing by him....

This garbage might work in a video game, but the speed and agility of these NFL skill players is off the charts.

You think that fat 385lb slug could tackle a quality NFL running back one on one? He would look foolish.

As far as I can remember, the only time this ever worked with a 290lb plus athlete playing MLB/ILB was Levon Kirkland. He was a physical specimen with tremendous footwork.

Jasper's sloppy as Martin Lawrence in Big Momma's House.

Hmmm.. Two tight ends, two wide outs, assuming only one TE will be used to counter Jasper and help out the O-Line, we add them up and have 3 potential receivers, and one RB. Let's see how this plays out? We have 2 LB ready on the outside, two safety's, and two CB's to cover three receivers, and one RB.. I like our chances on that one. :) Especially if they run outside, which is of course what they'd have to do.. :)

Next?

Tim-

as I said the possibilities of this are endless. this was one example. If a one dimensional defender is off the ball on defense an NFL QB/coordinator is going to exploit it.

We can argue semantics all day. I.e. where are your safeties? If they are cheating up to cover Jasper's 'slot' then one pump fake to the outside and Stevie has a corner one on one. Game on. If the corner plays way off, then I'll take the quick slant. Next. If the safeties are deep I'll take my remaining tight end over the middle...or the either receiver to beat their corner on a crossing pattern. Tight end on an inside screen sounds good. Let big Mike go and watch the play develop behind him.

As far as running, misdirection would be an option. Regardless, this becomes way too hypothetical and I simply stand on the thought that an offensive mind would exploit a one dimensional player.

It's like the wildcat. It's great at first...but then if you can't throw it....the QB/formation becomes much easier to defend. I.e. one dimensional.

Edited by BillsFanM.D.

Thank YOU.. :)

I see no reason fundamnentally or otherwise why we could not try it out for a few snaps.. Those that are mocking the idea are just being snarky, but have provided no substance for why they think the idea sucks..

Tim-

It's not a running start that he needs. The guy needs to learn fundamentals, mainly playing with leverage and using his hands more effectively. Having him stand up and rush does nothing for his development.

as I said the possibilities of this are endless. this was one example. If a one dimensional defender is off the ball on defense an NFL QB/coordinator is going to exploit it.

We can argue semantics all day. I.e. where are your safeties? If they are cheating up to cover Jasper's 'slot' then one pump fake to the outside and Stevie has a corner one on one. Game on. If the corner plays way off, then I'll take the quick slant. Next. If the safeties are deep I'll take my remaining tight end over the middle...or the either receiver to beat their corner on a crossing pattern. Tight end on an inside screen sounds good. Let big Mike go and watch the play develop behind him.

As far as running, misdirection would be an option. Regardless, this becomes way too hypothetical and I simply stand on the thought that an offensive mind would exploit a one dimensional player.

It's like the wildcat. It's great at first...but then if you can't throw it....the QB/formation becomes much easier to defend. I.e. one dimensional.

Yep, we "could" play this game all day long, but I grow tired. I made my point, and will leave it at that.

Tim-

My take using Jasper in this "scheme" (Know what a scheme is) is clear. It's not a 4-3 but a stronger 3 - 4. Ya know for football fans you all seem a little trigger happy, and completely linear in your thinking.

Tim-

He's NOT supposed to move in space.. Sheesh, people please read?

Tim-

You asked what would I do on 2nd down if i was a coach/QB? I SAID I'D RUN A MIDDLE SCREEN AND FORCE HIM TO RUN IN SPACE. This is what LB's do. Do you know how to read or understand anything about the game? If he's playing LB and u run a screen, then he HAS to run in space. It's not a choice. It's forcing him to do something he can't do well. :doh:

wow.

I like the idea. Can't hurt to experiment with it in the last pre-season game at least. That's what pre-season is for. Some people (those who posted above) must love the status-quo in Buffalo of loosing seasons year after year. It's pre-season, time to experiment. If it fails, who cares.

Experiment how, like moving Reinhart up to 1st team LG? or levitre over to LT? or giving CJ the first couple of plays in the Denver Pre-season game?

Those went over real well and did not result in overreactions from the fan base!

I've been watching Jasper closely, as I'm pulling for him, but as it stands he doesn't make this team, however; Given his weaknesses thus far I note that he needs a lot of work on his hands, and foot-work. That said, I would like to see Gailey try him out on run blitz, and pass blitz packages as an ILB, standing up 2 or 3 paces back from the Nose Tackle. This way what he lacks in fundamentals can be made up with his strength in weight and size. My "guess" is that if Jasper has a 3 - 4 step run at the line, he gets in, and penetrates more easily, even if they double team him, like they have been doing. I'd like to see that experiment play out for a few snaps just to see if my instincts are correct.

What are your thoughts?

Tim-

I doubt that Chan will go for it but Bellichek, Ryan, and Sparano all agree with you.

If the guy is that incredible of a raw talent, you'd think the best football coaches in the world would be able to fix his technique in a 2 months to some degree...

I generally hope the best for folks but for a guy with an extra 100 lbs and this alleged super athleticism on his side, he seemed to continually get pushed around easily in the past 3 games...