Andre Gurode C Cowboys may be cut today

Link here

5 time pro-bowler...knee sugery...I dunno. This looks like a reasonable move. Perhaps it isn't.

I would not trade for the guy. If I wanted him, I would simply try to claim him off waivers. Or, let that go by and try to sign him to a 2 year deal or something similar. We can move him to guard if we don't want him to play center. He has to be an upgrade over Urbik, right?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Urbik had 1 bad play in a preseason game and is being treated unfairly in my opinion. He's looked solid in two games since and is only 26 and still developing as a player. While I would like them to bring in some depth for the oline, I think the starters look to be fine and wouldn't want to impede a guy with potential like Urbik by benching him for an injured 32 year old.

I think he is 35 and if he is cut its likely a cost cuttign move so I would forget Waivers. I'll take anyone that will improve the OL though.

He's actually 32, not sure when his birthday is though.

I don't see anyone placing a waiver claim on him either (if he doesn't renegotiate with Dallas). He should pass through and then can negotiate with anyone he chooses to.

Obviously Nix won't sign anyone who isn't better than what we have. Despite the pithy insights of some here, a former Pro Bowler with a bad knee or back is NOT always better than what we have.

PTR

I refuse to believe that neither Bryant McKinnie nor Jared Gaither is better than Cordaro Howard.

Bring him in. Work him out. Sign him if he looks like he still has two years left. Cut Hangartner. Let Gurode compete for starting OG spot. Make him back-up to Wood at C.

Doubt he signs here to play a backup spot, would probably need assurances he'll start which i'm sure he'll get from somewhere.

Link here

5 time pro-bowler...knee sugery...I dunno. This looks like a reasonable move. Perhaps it isn't.

I would not trade for the guy. If I wanted him, I would simply try to claim him off waivers. Or, let that go by and try to sign him to a 2 year deal or something similar. We can move him to guard if we don't want him to play center. He has to be an upgrade over Urbik, right?

No way Buffalo picks him up. I think the Bears or the Eagles will most likely sign him in the next few days. The center position for Buffalo is in good shape with Eric Wood.

Doubt he signs here to play a backup spot, would probably need assurances he'll start which i'm sure he'll get from somewhere.

That may be true but also very hard to say. To me, the only way that he gets assurances that he will start is if there are no injury worries and he looks to be a good playing shape. IF that is the case, I would give him assurances that he will start (as much assurance as teams will give. With two weeks to go before the season he may not get that from anyone).

The thing is, we have a bunch of young linemen. Wood and Levitre are both young starters. Bell and Pears are pretty young starters. Rinehart and Urbik are young (hopefully) back-ups with some talent. Hairston is young with talent and upside. To me, the smart thing would be to cut Hangartner and sign two veterans. One G/C like Gurode who may start, and one swing tackle who may start. We wouldn't be hurting the youth movement one bit. I don't really want a one year stop-gap as opposed to a guy like Gurode who is only 32. Wang. Howard and Wrotto shouldn't be on the Bills active roster, IMO.

Anyone we bring in at this point will be a guy to back up who we have now in case of injury.....if a guy like Brian Waters or Gurode would do that I would be all for it.....

I think we have our backup swing OT on the roster as our 4th rounder from this past draft did very well....but Wang, Wrotto, and Howard do not impress me in the least....I am not sure they are even NFL level talent.

Rhineart is probably your primary backup at the Guard positions and they like him very much....so i wouldnt expect a name signing here.

Bell - LT

Levitre - LG

Wood - C

Urbik - RG

Pears - RT

Thosea are your starters

Backups

Rhineheart - Guard positions

Hangman - Guard positions and Center

Hairst on - Tackle positions

past that.....just get some guys who show promise

I refuse to believe that neither Bryant McKinnie nor Jared Gaither is better than Cordaro Howard.

They probably are.. right now. Buddy is building a roster of young twenty somethings instead of cutting them for old over the hill guys. And with the salary floor in 2013, the guys they are growing now hopefully will be rewarded with good second contracts. The approach makes sense, just means not too many wins this year as the roster is grown and matures. If this year and next years drafts work out, we could be OK two seasons from now...

Bell - LT

Levitre - LG

Wood - C

Urbik - RG

Pears - RT

Thosea are your starters

Backups

Rhineheart - Guard positions

Hangman - Guard positions and Center

Hairston - Tackle positions

How many OL do they typically keep?

Starting to wonder if those are the 8 that make the roster to begin the year. Esp since Levitre has been being worked at OT and C and they gave Hairston time at both tackle spots on Saturday. Can't find how many games Cordero Howard was active for last season, perhaps he's practice squad eligible.

That may be true but also very hard to say. To me, the only way that he gets assurances that he will start is if there are no injury worries and he looks to be a good playing shape. IF that is the case, I would give him assurances that he will start (as much assurance as teams will give. With two weeks to go before the season he may not get that from anyone).

The thing is, we have a bunch of young linemen. Wood and Levitre are both young starters. Bell and Pears are pretty young starters. Rinehart and Urbik are young (hopefully) back-ups with some talent. Hairston is young with talent and upside. To me, the smart thing would be to cut Hangartner and sign two veterans. One G/C like Gurode who may start, and one swing tackle who may start. We wouldn't be hurting the youth movement one bit. I don't really want a one year stop-gap as opposed to a guy like Gurode who is only 32. Wang. Howard and Wrotto shouldn't be on the Bills active roster, IMO.

Would a team do that? 'Guarantee' a starting spot...or would they say we're bringing you in to compete for a starting spot?

How many OL do they typically keep?

Starting to wonder if those are the 8 that make the roster to begin the year. Esp since Levitre has been being worked at OT and C and they gave Hairston time at both tackle spots on Saturday. Can't find how many games Cordero Howard was active for last season, perhaps he's practice squad eligible.

My list is kinda "as it stands right now"

There is a very good chance that hangman goes because of his age and salary.....so it could be a case of dropping him and picking up a younger version on cuts