Some thoughts

5 Wide

-Fitz looked great, made some great throws, moved around in the pocket well, looked much more comfortable than the first few games

- Stevie is very good in traffic. SJ looks very comfortable plucking the ball and getting back to protect himself. Hopefully he can follow up the breakout season by making a lot of those tough catches.

- D. Bell actually looked pretty good tonight at LT

- Levitre looked pretty bad tonight at LT. He was getting lit up on the bull rushes, looked like he was out of his weight class on a few of those pass plays.

- Spiller hit it up inside better than he has been. He got some tough yardage up the middle and showed a few flashes of why he was drafted.

- Dareus is a large man. He looks like the type of player that you will see teams starting to run away from when working the ground game. He gets inside the o-linemen's hands very quickly and disengages from their blocks very well.

- Refs are in preseason mode. Two pass interference calls to keep Jacksonville drives going were pretty tough calls. Florence had textbook position on the one play.

- Kamar Aiken shows promise. He made a great acrobatic play and seems to be one of those guys who just flows out there, much like how Stevie Johnson just kinda flows in the game.

- Jasper needs work. The big man is a beast, but his technique is poor. He allows himself to be directed by the o-linemen. They were steering him pretty much at will a lot of the night.

- Pears looked to hold his own as well. He's a lot closer to being an average NFL RT than he is being terrible. He seems to have good mobility and held his own in the run blocking game tonight.

- I think Batten will see the field a lot this year. He has a nice feel for the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him rotated in more than we might expect.

- Scott Chandler might be a real Tight End. If the Bills choose to try to work the TE into their playbook this year, Chandler looks like he might be able to tote the mail. Seems to have soft hands and is a very big target.

I love Gailey's enthusiasm for the game. So much different than Jauron. On those pass interference calls Gailey was on his horse jawing at the referees. He was very animated and let them know what was on his mind. It was nice to see after enduring all those years with Skeletor.

Take it for what it's worth, but it was fun being back at the Ralph and watching some football.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they could only be consistent. Fitz in a mid game interview mentioned how this was the first time they game planned for a team, and executed on the field as they did in practice. Hopefully it carries forward. Fred Jackson is the real deal. Was nice to see Easely get involved in the pass game.

-Fitz looked great, made some great throws, moved around in the pocket well, looked much more comfortable than the first few games

- Stevie is very good in traffic. SJ looks very comfortable plucking the ball and getting back to protect himself. Hopefully he can follow up the breakout season by making a lot of those tough catches.

- D. Bell actually looked pretty good tonight at LT

- Levitre looked pretty bad tonight at LT. He was getting lit up on the bull rushes, looked like he was out of his weight class on a few of those pass plays.

- Spiller hit it up inside better than he has been. He got some tough yardage up the middle and showed a few flashes of why he was drafted.

- Dareus is a large man. He looks like the type of player that you will see teams starting to run away from when working the ground game. He gets inside the o-linemen's hands very quickly and disengages from their blocks very well.

- Refs are in preseason mode. Two pass interference calls to keep Jacksonville drives going were pretty tough calls. Florence had textbook position on the one play.

- Kamar Aiken shows promise. He made a great acrobatic play and seems to be one of those guys who just flows out there, much like how Stevie Johnson just kinda flows in the game.

- Jasper needs work. The big man is a beast, but his technique is poor. He allows himself to be directed by the o-linemen. They were steering him pretty much at will a lot of the night.

- Pears looked to hold his own as well. He's a lot closer to being an average NFL RT than he is being terrible. He seems to have good mobility and held his own in the run blocking game tonight.

- I think Batten will see the field a lot this year. He has a nice feel for the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see him rotated in more than we might expect.

- Scott Chandler might be a real Tight End. If the Bills choose to try to work the TE into their playbook this year, Chandler looks like he might be able to tote the mail. Seems to have soft hands and is a very big target.

I love Gailey's enthusiasm for the game. So much different than Jauron. On those pass interference calls Gailey was on his horse jawing at the referees. He was very animated and let them know what was on his mind. It was nice to see after enduring all those years with Skeletor.

Take it for what it's worth, but it was fun being back at the Ralph and watching some football.

Agree with all this, shows how much game planning contributes to their performance whereas last week they didn't do any and they looked brutal and this week they did some and were 100 time better.

I just finished watching the first half, and it's been a great relief to see some of our boys get their asses in gear. Was awesome seeing Easley make some catches...he had the early drop, but came back and redeemed himself with a solid showing. Stevie is fluid...he's a star in the making. I'm starting to get on the Chandler bandwagon. This guy seemed to move really well in the Chicago game, and tonight he looked very solid as well. His catching mechanics are very solid. He has good hands, pulls the ball into his body, turns and runs. For a big boy, he's got game. Loved seeing Freddy beat Poz on that deep sideline route...and Fitzy was on his game tonight. Seems to have more of a windup on some of his passes than I noticed last year...he better be careful with that when the weather gets a bit more inclement.

I also caught the very end of the game, and I was really impressed with that Elzy guy (or whatever his name is)...this guy was laying blocks right and left to give Levi more time in the pocket. I also saw some nice burst from him when he hit the hole...guy might push Johnny White for playing time.

Can't wait to watch the 2nd half tomorrow and see how our scrubs are progressing.

Anyone know why merriman wasn't playing?

Precautionary, according to Shawn. Tight groin, taking it slowly to ensure he's good for Sept 11.

He says it's been a long time since he was in football positions making football moves and such is only to be expected.

I hope he's saying it straight. Man, I hope he can stay healthy during the season.

Precautionary, according to Shawn. Tight groin, taking it slowly to ensure he's good for Sept 11.

He says it's been a long time since he was in football positions making football moves and such is only to be expected.

I hope he's saying it straight. Man, I hope he can stay healthy during the season.

Probably good move to rest then - I would actually rather see him skip next preseason game too then- he obviously doesn't need it to return to form

Did you see that play where dares shed a block from the RT, and came down like 3 gaps to stuff a run play for a loss/no gain? Holy sh*t that was a play like 5 other guys in the league coulda made. He may be out best player already.

Loved what they (the starters) did out there last night, the backups did a great job sealing a come from behind victory in OT too....Does anyone remember a few years back (I believe in 08?) when Trent Edwards and co. smoked the Steelers starters? and is it just me, or did it look hauntingly similar to last nights performance that had everyone in Western NY jacked up back then too?

What is spiller role on this team and this offense? He got as little out of the blocking as possible going down from the first defender that touched him. In any case at his size he wont survive going north/south up he middle. He was supposed to be used like a Reggie bush which is runs outside the tackle, screens and setting up as a WR in some formations. He was also supposed to provide a spark to the return game. He's doing none of the above.

Biggest positive on offense was play easely and how he may be a legit #2 wr needed now with loss of Evans. But why with his emerging importance and injury problems did they have him returning kicks!!!!!

Also where's Troupe?

What is spiller role on this team and this offense? He got as little out of the blocking as possible going down from the first defender that touched him. In any case at his size he wont survive going north/south up he middle. He was supposed to be used like a Reggie bush which is runs outside the tackle, screens and setting up as a WR in some formations. He was also supposed to provide a spark to the return game. He's doing none of the above.

Biggest positive on offense was play easely and how he may be a legit #2 wr needed now with loss of Evans. But why with his emerging importance and injury problems did they have him returning kicks!!!!!

Also where's Troupe?

Where does the venom for Spiller come from? He played well last night. He has some things to work on, but everyone had a solid game. Spiller was one step away from taking it to the house on every touch. It'll come.

Also where's Troupe?

I have noticed your crusade against SPiller in a few threads and I think it is getting to be a little stale. But we see why he is being relegated to a backup role because Jackson is such a great player that is undervalued and under appreciated. Yeah Spiller should potentially be contributing more considering his draft location, but he showed some great speed and quickness last night, even providing a key block on a blitz pick-up enabling Fitz to get a pass off. IMO, he was VERY close to breaking a long one last night, only to lose his footing on his cut. On the very next play, he had a great run and was essentially tackled by Rhinehart. Had that not happened, he would've busted it for a longer gain.

Where does the venom for Spiller come from? He played well last night. He has some things to work on, but everyone had a solid game. Spiller was one step away from taking it to the house on every touch. It'll come.

He's carrying the venom over from another thread. Apparently he needed to say more on the subject.

Good for Gailey because he should have been livid...At the risk of sounding like the ultimate homer, that PI Call on Florence was brutal and it resulted in 7 points for the Jags...And there was a clear hold on the TD scramble as well...The Refs were really terrible at times last night...Also a bit before that, on the play where Scott was called for the horse-collar, it looked like McGee was tackled from behind while pursuing the play...

Refs in Pre Season form as well I guess... B-)

Good for Gailey because he should have been livid...At the risk of sounding like the ultimate homer, that PI Call on Florence was brutal and it resulted in 7 points for the Jags...And there was a clear hold on the TD scramble as well...The Refs were really terrible at times last night...Also a bit before that, on the play where Scott was called for the horse-collar, it looked like McGee was tackled from behind while pursuing the play...

Refs in Pre Season form as well I guess... B-)

Refs are practicing for when we play the Pats!