Cam Newton - lighting it up!

San-O

I know it'a preseason, however isn't it supposed to be easier to complete passes in preseason?

By my math, Newton is 21 of 52 through 3 games, which is approx. a 40 % completion percentage.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2011&seasonType=PRE&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Relax it's just preseason. Now if he was completing 60% that would be proof he's punched his ticket to Canton.

PTR

Accuracy really wasn't a big issue. It was ego and multiple reads, fairly exclusively.

I'll say he's a rook without any ota's.... I'll give him a few weeks before I compare him to longterm vets.

I don't know where the "menzosa" line for posts is, but I'm judging and you didn't clear it.

Because 52 > 50, which is what menzosa completed. Duh.

The Menzoza line was originally created in baseball to reflect medeoker averaje, house runs, urn run averaje, and other statistiks.

The Menzoza line was originally created in baseball to reflect medeoker averaje, house runs, urn run averaje, and other statistiks.

The Mendoza Line . . .

The Mendoza Line is an expression in baseball in the United States, deriving from the name of shortstop Mario Mendoza, whose lifetime batting average is taken to define the threshold of incompetent hitting. Even though Mendoza's career batting average over nine seasons was .215,[1] most often the cutoff point is said to be .200,[2] and, when a position player's batting average falls below that level, the player is said to be below the Mendoza Line. This is often thought of as the offensive threshold below which a player's presence in Major League Baseball cannot be justified, regardless of his defensive abilities. Pitchers are not held to this standard, since their specialized work and infrequent batting requires less hitting competence. The expression has been also extended to other realms to indicate a low-end cut-off point.

Origin of the term

Mendoza, a flashy defensive player from Chihuahua, Mexico, played for the Pittsburgh Pirates, Seattle Mariners, and Texas Rangers and usually struggled at the plate. Mendoza was known as a sub-.200 hitter whose average frequently fell into the .180 to .190 range during any particular year, even though his career figure reached .215.

The "Mendoza Line" was created as a harmless clubhouse joke among friends. "My teammates Tom Paciorek and Bruce Bochte used it to make fun of me," Mendoza said in 2010. "Then they were giving George Brett a hard time because he had a slow start that year, so they told him, 'Hey, man, you're going to sink down below the Mendoza Line if you're not careful.' And then Brett mentioned it to Chris Berman from ESPN, and eventually it spread and became a part of the game." Berman deflects credit back to Brett in popularizing the term. "Mario Mendoza — it's all George Brett," Berman said. "We used it all the time in those 1980s SportsCenters. It was just a humorous way to describe how someone was hitting."[4]

Other uses

In the movie business, the Mendoza Line is used to describe a movie that earns a per theater average of less than $2,000 over a weekend. For films released by major studios, it costs about $2,000 to create and ship a print to a movie theater, so, taking into account the revenue earned over the whole week, and the share of revenue kept by the movie theater, if a movie earns less than $2,000 in a theater over a weekend, the studio would have been better off never playing the movie in that theater. Similarly, for movies in limited release, earning over $2,000 in a theater is enough to encourage theater owners to continue booking the movie for additional weeks. Films earning below the Mendoza Line therefore tend to disappear quickly from theaters.[5]

Wikipedia

Edited by CSBill

Living in the Carolinas I can tell you personally that people here are not concerned. In fact they don't even care. The panthers game are an event that's all. Fans here are not the least bit passionate about them. A quieter stadium you'll never find.

The Mendoza Line . . .

Other uses

In the movie business, the Mendoza Line is used to describe a movie that earns a per theater average of less than $2,000 over a weekend. For films released by major studios, it costs about $2,000 to create and ship a print to a movie theater, so, taking into account the revenue earned over the whole week, and the share of revenue kept by the movie theater, if a movie earns less than $2,000 in a theater over a weekend, the studio would have been better off never playing the movie in that theater. Similarly, for movies in limited release, earning over $2,000 in a theater is enough to encourage theater owners to continue booking the movie for additional weeks. Films earning below the Mendoza Line therefore tend to disappear quickly from theaters.[5]

Wikipedia

In football, it will soon be called "The Maybin Line" when referring to defensive lineman with no career sacks, or maybe the "The Bills Line" in the general futility of first round draft picks.

Edited by CSBill

you fool - didn't you get the memo that for fans and critics of 31 of the 32 nfl franchises, preseason games mean absolutely nothing, and a player should be given at least the entirety of the coming regular season, if not a few more years, to improve.

if, however, we are discussing the buffalo bills, it's fine to put your season tickets on ebay and burn all your jerseys. the first quarter of our last scrimmage clearly has established that we are doomed to finish 0-16, will go another decade without making the playoffs, and ralph wilson has a deal in place to sell our team to a cabal of los angeles business men.

In football, it will soon be called "The Maybin Line" when referring to defensive lineman with no career sacks, or maybe the "The Bills Line" in the general futility of first round draft picks.

The problem is that you can't be below the Maybin line. 0 is 0.

Actually watching some of his play, and not just looking at his stat sheet, I thought he has looked very good. He stands in the pocket and has good awareness there which I wasnt expecting. I think he is more knowegable about the game than most thought he would be too - which is what his college coach said about him. He has always thrown off his back foot which he needs to address.

Please tell me this post was a joke...

My GOD does anyone else realize it was a total joke????? :doh:

I am frightened now... come ON!!! COME ON!!! :bag:

Edited by BmoreBills

Actually watching some of his play, and not just looking at his stat sheet, I thought he has looked very good. He stands in the pocket and has good awareness there which I wasnt expecting. I think he is more knowegable about the game than most thought he would be too - which is what his college coach said about him. He has always thrown off his back foot which he needs to address.

I've actually thought he has had bad awareness. He was getting people pushed into him but he just sorta stood there and didnt avoid it right away. No slide or anything. He's big enough to get away with it but I wouldn't go as far to say impressed

Relax...you do remember there was a lockout right? Everything out of camp is that he is the real deal...I did not want to draft him personally, but they have said he has been impressive. Judging a rookie QB in his first 3 weeks of preseason is a bit premature normally and completely stupid in a year with no OTA's...

Yeah! The only team that should be in midseason form is the Bills. Ease up on everybody else. Wait...the point is to be as negative as possible about as much as possible? ****!! I missed the memo.

Relax it's just preseason. Now if he was completing 60% that would be proof he's punched his ticket to Canton.

PTR

Either way the Bills screwed the pooch.