Who is Patrick Moran? Supposedly major news.

bbb

Because there is no proof that anything even happened other than the 2nd hand word from a blogger.

Someone has whatever they took off him. That is proof. Jesus, let the story develop. Its all of 10 minutes old and everyone wants to try the case right now.

• Replies 722
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but everyones in a tizzy looking for loopholes in anything he says. if he is wrong in the terminology, its clearly a false report start to finish.

Dude, we're not the ones billing ourselves as reporters. If he is using misleading language, that's bad journalism. Plain and simple.

How can possession of a banned performance enhancing substance not be in violation of personal conduct rules - he has it - what is he going to do with it? Whether the answer is buy or sell, he's suspended.

Technically, this happened outside the official league year (which started August 4th). If Merriman did something illegal he may not be punished. I recall that one of the final questions about the CBA was whether players in trouble during the lockout (Kenny Britt) were able to be punished once the new CBA/League Year started. I think they ruled the players could not be punished.

This may end up being a non-issue if my words are correct.

Edited by Champaign Mike

Someone has whatever they took off him. That is proof. Jesus, let the story develop. Its all of 10 minutes old and everyone wants to try the case right now.

It allegedly happened July 28th.

Edited by Rob Johnson Jr

How the F should I know. Who says they don't know? Maybe they were waiting for lab reports to come back - that is the likely explanation why the story is just being released now, especially since Moran has known about it for weeks.

The story was "released" 17 days ago.

GO BILLS!!!

But there absolutely has to be some kind of report originating from border patrol / immigration for Goodell to take any action. There is no way that Goodell, powerful though he may be, could suspend Merriman based on suspicion and the Moran report alone.

I'd certainly like to think so...

But I believe Goodell could very well suspend Merriman based on a suspicion alone (clearly he'd be wrong to; clearly I have a low opinion of the man). I also believe the NFLPA (at least) would rightfully go ballistic over it.

Yeah, like the Federal Government is just going to give it to the NFL. Maybe I should contact Border patrol about getting some of the booze they confiscate everyday, I'm sure they would be more than willing.

Edited by Fingon

Technically, this happened outside the official league year (which started August 4th). If Merriman did something illegal he may not be punished. I recall that one of the final questions about the CBA was whether players in trouble during the lockout (Kenny Britt) were able to be punished once the new CBA/League Year started. I think they ruled the players could not be punished.

This may end up being a non-issue if my words are correct.

That's a very interesting angle if true.

It reportedly happened July 28th.

Yeah, and the world has known about it for 10 minutes. Who knows what the border patrol and the league know, and what evidence they have. Saying this is a non-issue at this point is turning a blind eye to a very serious problem that could turn out to be a one year suspension.

Yeah, and the world has known about it for 10 minutes. Who knows what the border patrol and the league know, and what evidence they have. Saying this is a non-issue at this point is turning a blind eye to a very serious problem that could turn out to be a one year suspension.

Please see my post at 4:47PM. Since it's outside the league year I don't think Merriman could be punished if he is in trouble.

Here's a link to just as valid of a story written on Aug 1st: http://www.spotrac.com/blog/?p=452

I think the league year technically started August 4th so...no harm, no foul.

:thumbsup:

So to sum up: "Breaking News: sources I can't tell you about are telling me that Merriman did something that wasn't illegal and that he can't be punished for. And if I'm wrong, kill my kid."

Classic. When does George Seifert show up at the airport?

Again, getting "caught" implies there were consequences for getting caught. There have, at least until now, been none, and the only way there POSSIBLY could be any is if the NFL follows up on these "reports" and finds something.

I don't think Moran is making it up; I do think it's entirely possible he is trusting sources too eagerly (and in a not-journalistic fashion) in order to pump up his fan website and to possibly increase his own credibility in the event that this is found to be true.

The guy is not proving himself to be a journalist. Most journalists I work with work a hell of a lot harder, and try to make that work evident in the final deliverable to the public.

a detention, and confiscation would certainly qualify as getting caught with something in my book. arguing semantics, not the real meat and potatoes of the story on that front.

i think your second paragraph speaks to why the mainstream media hasnt picked it up faster.

and for everyone crying about how its been three weeks - plenty of bigger stories have taken longer to break. the miami investigation has allegedly been going on for months before the first big article.

i am amazed that knowing he had this scoop for a couple weeks that he planned on delivering before the big boys would be willing to that THAT is the article he wrote. its like he whimsically woke up and decided today was the day, and took 5 mins to throw it together.

How can possession of a banned performance enhancing substance not be in violation of personal conduct rules - he has it - what is he going to do with it? Whether the answer is buy or sell, he's suspended.

Check out this link, http://images.nflplayers.com/mediaResources/files/PDFs/PlayerDevelopment/2010%20Steroid%20Policy.pdf

It say according to the NFL player contract, a player can't use, supply, or produce any banned substance. But if he was bust on the july 28 there was no CBA, the new league season did not start until the August 4. So unless he has a position test after august 4, no CBA, no drug policy, no personal conduct, no crime?

Please see my post at 4:47PM. Since it's outside the league year I don't think Merriman could be punished if he is in trouble.

then how is terrelle pryor punished for something he did in college?

although drug stuff tends to be very strictly defined as to whats punishable, whereas the conduct stuff is up in the air.

Edited by NoSaint

So to sum up: "Breaking News: sources I can't tell you about are telling me that Merriman did something that wasn't illegal and that he can't be punished for. And if I'm wrong, kill my kid."

Classic. When does George Seifert show up at the airport?

Who do you think his source was?

Blame it on the Bossanova