post card from camp: bills

playman

Not too negative except for the last paragraph:

A 5-11 record is a distinct possibility. Buffalo might well win just one intradivision game, when it hosts Miami on Dec. 18, but matchups versus Oakland (Week 2), at Cincinnati (Week 4), versus Washington (Week 8), and versus Denver (Week 16) look promising. The result will be a seventh straight losing season, but at least it will represent a slight improvement on 2010's 4-12 finish.

Cue the 10-6 and playoffs crowd calling this writer a uninformed hack (though it might be harder since he apparently was actually at camp). :)

Sounds about right to me.

As much as we might be better.. so is every other team (other than the Bengals) according to people who go watch their respective practices. :)

I know your just saying in general that writers will always say thier teams got better from the year before. I just wanted to point out that the Jets have done D!(K since last year and of course the media, especially the NYC media see them as doing great things.

First off they say the Jets have been very active in FA since they signed Cromartie and Holmes (since when does signing your own players male youbany better than the year before?)

then they lose Smith to us. Edwards, and sign a guy that's been in prison the last 2+ years. I'm not saying Plax isn't and won't be good, but at 32 or 34 (whatever his age is) and being out of the game, a d already dealing with injuries I don't see him being any better than Edwards. And defenately not this season and of course looking forward another year later he is closer to breaking a hip.

Then they signed Aaron Maybin LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! I haven't been to work in the city and heard all the radio stations talk about him yet but I'm excited to see what they say about him when I get back there. This move alone should make them worse.

At the end of the day, the Jets made no progressive moves from last year, they lost fhie DT in Jenkins and as a whole got older and IMO one step farther away from the Super Bowl. The only saving they can possibly have is if Sanchez gets a ton better. But my opinion of Sanchez is about the same as Romos. He's a decent QB but he's not going to win you the big games and usually has more mistakes in big moments than good plays. Much like JP and Trent for us. Well see about Fitz this year, his first as a true starter if he improves.

This reporter didn't saying anything j bjis article we all don't already know. And I'm not call g for 10-6 and playoffs, but 5-11 is not going go happen either. We were 3 OT losses and a FG away from being 8-8 last year. I think our defense this year is better and enough to get us those 4 games.

Go Bills!!!

I know your just saying in general that writers will always say thier teams got better from the year before. I just wanted to point out that the Jets have done D!(K since last year and of course the media, especially the NYC media see them as doing great things.

First off they say the Jets have been very active in FA since they signed Cromartie and Holmes (since when does signing your own players male youbany better than the year before?)

then they lose Smith to us. Edwards, and sign a guy that's been in prison the last 2+ years. I'm not saying Plax isn't and won't be good, but at 32 or 34 (whatever his age is) and being out of the game, a d already dealing with injuries I don't see him being any better than Edwards. And defenately not this season and of course looking forward another year later he is closer to breaking a hip.

Then they signed Aaron Maybin LOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!! I haven't been to work in the city and heard all the radio stations talk about him yet but I'm excited to see what they say about him when I get back there. This move alone should make them worse.

At the end of the day, the Jets made no progressive moves from last year, they lost fhie DT in Jenkins and as a whole got older and IMO one step farther away from the Super Bowl. The only saving they can possibly have is if Sanchez gets a ton better. But my opinion of Sanchez is about the same as Romos. He's a decent QB but he's not going to win you the big games and usually has more mistakes in big moments than good plays. Much like JP and Trent for us. Well see about Fitz this year, his first as a true starter if he improves.

This reporter didn't saying anything j bjis article we all don't already know. And I'm not call g for 10-6 and playoffs, but 5-11 is not going go happen either. We were 3 OT losses and a FG away from being 8-8 last year. I think our defense this year is better and enough to get us those 4 games.

Go Bills!!!

Very good points about the Jets. They also lost Shaun Ellis, who might be over the hill, but looked great in the playoff win over the Pats. The Jets' season will mostly hinge on the development of Sanchez, I think. I actually disagree about his QB profile. I feel like he's been at his best in big games/big moments, and that's why everyone's so high on him even though he plays like a young QB the rest of the time. If he can put it together in his 3rd season, the Jets will be terrifying. I think they've got a couple young guys on the D-line that might be good as well.

I found this to be a very fair write-up. The only definites are that they addressed the run defense, added an offensive weapon and that the team is headed in the right direction. All very positive. Everything else is up in the air ... including a losing record. As PTR said ... that's why they play the games. You never know.

Go Bills!!!

Even if the Jets got worse and the Bills got better, I doubt it was to the point where the Bills are a better team than them this year. The gap between the two last year, imo, was pretty severe. Maybe now it's less, so we'll lose our games to the Jets by less points, but we still won't win.

Go Bills!!!

To group JP and Trent with those guys is just silly. Sanchez can be bad for 3 quarters, but actually shines in tough moments. And Romo is better then em all, he just has difficulty holding onto field goal snaps...

Even if the Jets got worse and the Bills got better, I doubt it was to the point where the Bills are a better team than them this year. The gap between the two last year, imo, was pretty severe. Maybe now it's less, so we'll lose our games to the Jets by less points, but we still won't win.

I really don't think the Jets are that good. They just were a terrible matchup for the Bills the last few years. They are a run first offense & our run defense blew. Hopefully with an improved run defense, we can force more throws by Sanchez. That is a huge advantage for the Bills defense. I feel pretty confident the Bills will win one game with the Jets.

As for the Pats, we'll get swept again.

I really don't think the Jets are that good. They just were a terrible matchup for the Bills the last few years. They are a run first offense & our run defense blew. Hopefully with an improved run defense, we can force more throws by Sanchez. That is a huge advantage for the Bills defense. I feel pretty confident the Bills will win one game with the Jets.

As for the Pats, we'll get swept again.

If the Bears game is any indication, we haven't improved much in stopping the run. Unless we keep all of our starters in the game 100% of the time on defense anyways.

(Hopefully the Denver game and remaining preseason games show us something.)

Edited by Dorkington

Not too negative except for the last paragraph:

Cue the 10-6 and playoffs crowd calling this writer a uninformed hack (though it might be harder since he apparently was actually at camp). :)

It's a very well written report and seems pretty accurate. I simply disagree with the W-L projections. It is impossible to predict what the major changes on defense will do for this team. The front seven compared to last season will be virtually unrecognizable.

He says 5-11, not to far off from my prediction of 8-8. He also said our only winnable gamein the division is Miami at home which is false because any game against the Dolphins this year is winnable, I don't understand why must writers still believe that they're going to finish ahead of us in the division. But otherwise good article, just the record thing I believe is off.

Edited by bills1960

I think th Bills got better and the Jets got worse so yeah I believe that. I agree with you that the Jets will still have a better record although we will make the margin much smaller. I do disagree with you that the Jets will sweep is. I don't think they will. I actually think it will be the opposite but that's my optimism taking. I truly believe that with our added help on defense we will go 3-3 in the division or possibly better. A sweep of the dolphins. And at least a split with both the Jets and Pats. Ya I said it, were finally going to beat the Pats this year. Man my optimism should be shot, it's got a mind of it's own, and it's taking over!!!!!!

It may be fair, but it is just so lazy. CNN/SI takes the trouble to send someone all the way to camp, and all he brings up are the usual tropes. Shawn Merriman. New guy from the Jets. Stevie Johnson now number 1. CJ Spiller needs to be better. Etc.

If all you want to do is let people in other markets know a few generic things about the Bills then fine. But why go to camp then? You could write this piece by watching Sports Center and a few post-practice videos of Chan Gailey on buffalobills.com.

I want someone like this to dig a little. Talk to people. Observe something that everyone else hasn't already observed a thousand times.

It's a very well written report and seems pretty accurate. I simply disagree with the W-L projections. It is impossible to predict what the major changes on defense will do for this team. The front seven compared to last season will be virtually unrecognizable.

You don't really disagree with his projection in particular, you just don't think anyone can project the Bills record this season because they are so different than last years team. I can understand why someone would think this way I guess.