" 'They' put me in the right situation"

Via Deadspin:

"I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

Those two teams wanted him and would've allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced—and granted league approval—to sign with Philly. "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation."

Link

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unbelievable. The league directed talent away from Bflo and Cincy. No matter how you feel about Vick, that should piss you off.

Come on now, did you really think I'd let a great reclamation story like Vick go to waste? I've got a business to run and TV ratings don't come from Buffalo.

Quote from same article

"So can we presume that Michael Vick was forbidden from signing with Cincy or Buffalo for big-time starter money two seasons ago because Goodell and other NFL parole officers thought he should serve more probation as a third-stringer on the Eagles instead? Because I'd be irked by that if I were a fan of either one of those teams if that were the case."

I am not irked that Vick did not sign with the Bills, but if he was forbidden to do so by the league is ridiculous. If I was Wilson and Brandon I would demand Goodell explain how the hell this happened.

Edited by clancynut

I've always been skeptical of the "NFL hates Buffalo" conspiracy theories, but if this is true Goodell has definitely crossed the line.

I know Buffalo was mentioned as a possible landing spot for Vick, but anybody know how seriously the Bills pursued him?

This is ridiculous... How can they allow this to happen? This is against NFL business ethics and something should be done about it. I know that it will not and looking back I don't think the league could be proven to have forced him into Philadelphia but I am sure there was pressure put on him.

Via Deadspin:

"I think I can say this now, because it's not going to hurt anybody's feelings, and it's the truth... I didn't want to come to Philadelphia. Being the third-team quarterback is nothing to smile about. Cincinnati and Buffalo were better options."

Those two teams wanted him and would've allowed him to start, but after meeting with commissioner Roger Goodell and other reps from the NFL, Vick was convinced—and granted league approval—to sign with Philly. "And I commend and thank them, because they put me in the right situation."

Link

Tampering by league official (i.e. Goodell). End of story presuming it is this cut and dry. Now who gets to determine punishment??

Not entirely related to the subject of this thread, but I vividly remember a majority of posters on this board slamming Vick and saying things like they'd boycott the team if the Bills signed him... they're awfully quiet about him these days...

that is some pretty crazy stuff. At the time, I didn't want vick anyway. But just knowing they forced talent not to sign with us is terrible. Almost makes you wonder if this isn't the first time. Probably not the same reason, but there are a million other reasons why the league wouldn't want certain players on certain teams.

Not entirely related to the subject of this thread, but I vividly remember a majority of posters on this board slamming Vick and saying things like they'd boycott the team if the Bills signed him... they're awfully quiet about him these days...

It's a little different when the team has the choice to not sign him. When that power is taken away by the League front office that is wrong. This isnt a conversation about "we shoulda got him".

This is ridiculous...How can they allow this to happen? This is against NFL business ethics and something should be done about it. I know that it will not and looking back I don't think the league could be proven to have forced him into Philadelphia but I am sure there was pressure put on him.

Of course nothing will come of this. It's not like NE* was wronged. They're talking about Buffalo & Cincy, the two most irrelevant franchises in the corporate greed league. If true, this would be the ultimate "do as I say, not as I do" on the part of the NFL. How hypocritical would it be to hold any team accountable in the future for tampering?

Have there been any threads about whether or not the Bills should have signed Vick, lately? I'm sure all you need to do is start one to hear from those that were vocal about not wanting him at the time.

Edited by Punch

If this is true, the NFL is the same as wrestling, where they decide who wins or loses. This is !@#$ing bull ****. There's no way the league should decide where a player goes. I'm incredibly pissed off.

This is ridiculous... How can they allow this to happen? This is against NFL business ethics and something should be done about it. I know that it will not and looking back I don't think the league could be proven to have forced him into Philadelphia but I am sure there was pressure put on him.

Late breaking news: Roger Goodell is to suspend himself for 5 milliseconds for tampering.

This is a pretty big deal. Atrocious actually. Also it's not out of the question that a stipulation Goodell had for Vick was that he not speak a word of this. Oops.

Way to earn more respect points from this fan goodell. You're showing some great character.

I did not want Vick and still don't but this whole situation is just insane.