Some quick thoughts about the game with Bears

jahnyc

1. In the first quarter, the play calling for our first team offense was creative and generally effective. Gailey will make good use of Smith in the "wildcat." this year. I am impressed with Gailey as a coach/play caller on offense.

2. Stevie looked great, but our other wide receivers did not make any plays, other than a couple of catches by Roosevelt. Easley was disappointing overall (including on kick returns), but he has had very little time practicing and no time playing in games due to his injuries since being drafted. Davis played poorly. I do not buy into all of the "we have a ton of talent at wide receiver" stuff, but Jones, Roosevelt, Easley and Nelson are only second year players and all of them will need time to develop (if at all). It is unrealistic to expect otherwise. Evans will be missed.

3. Maybin was easily handled by Chicago's second team offense. I think he was taken out of the game pretty quickly.

4. Dareus was active and looked great. Very encouraging for a rookie player, even a player picked third overall.

5. I thought the right side of the first team offensive line did not play well. Our second team offensive line was terrible, particularly Wrotto and Howard.

6. The Bills have no depth. During the game, I noted that the Bears picked up a bunch of free agents this year for depth. Some of these guys (i.e., Okoye and Barber) played well. Nix is stubborn about his own players (i.e., Davis) and we will suffer the consequences this year.

7. I was never a big supporter of Whitner, but I am wondering if he will be missed in the rush defense. I know that the defense was horrible last year, but I noticed that Wilson was easily taken out of some running plays last night.

8. I think Williams has potential, but he was beaten badly on a pass play where, as a result, he had to interfere with the receiver. He made a nice interception later in the game. He seems a bit raw, and I hope the Bills do not cut McGee in another cost cutting move because they think Williams can step in now.

9. Carrington played well against the second team offense for the Bears. Earlier in the game, he seemed to be handled by the first team offense for the Bears.

10. Merriman was awesome. Nothing more to add to that.

11. Johnny White received a bunch of playing time and did not standout or make plays. Maybe it was the poor blocking of the second team offensive line.

12. Chandler is big. If he stays as upright as did when running with the ball last night after catching the ball, he is going to get killed.

11. Johnny White received a bunch of playing time and did not standout or make plays. Maybe it was the poor blocking of the second team offensive line.

Wait.. are you kidding? Every time White got the ball he was instantly met in the backfield by defenders. Surely you don't expect him to somehow standout when he's not getting a lick of help from his OL?

Overall, a mostly fair analysis -- you made some good observations but speculation may not be your strong suit.

I see little to support your assertion that "Nix is stubborn about his own players (i.e., Davis) and we will suffer the consequences this year" nor is there any evidence they will cut McGee. The Johnny White comment is also a bit off-base. White might not contribute much, but he didn't have much chance out there.

Point #6 is key. It was so obvious that the Bears depth was much better than the Bills depth. This is nothing new. Its why the Pats, Eagles, Steelers, Pack, Ravens, Saints and a bunch of other teams are solid. Injuries are going to happen to every team. Buffalo can't afford any. I can see now why national media predicts the Bills another 4 or 5 win season. I thought they could get 8 or 9 but that's if they suffer no major injuries and get some bounces.

Edited by zow2

8. I think Williams has potential, but he was beaten badly on a pass play where, as a result, he had to interfere with the receiver. He made a nice interception later in the game. He seems a bit raw, and I hope the Bills do not cut McGee in another cost cutting move because they think Williams can step in now.

Seriously, another Buddy asleep at the wheel move. At this point in the guys career, he should not be looking raw. He's been in the NFL for weeks. If he hasn't gotten it by now, he's not going to get it.

I also agree that if the Bills cut McGee, McKelvin, Florence, and Thigpen in a cost saving move because they believe Williams is ready that would outrageous!

Seriously, another Buddy asleep at the wheel move. At this point in the guys career, he should not be looking raw. He's been in the NFL for weeks. If he hasn't gotten it by now, he's not going to get it.

I also agree that if the Bills cut McGee, McKelvin, Florence, and Thigpen in a cost saving move because they believe Williams is ready that would outrageous!

Good God.

Probably a parody/sarcasm, and if so it is a classic.

Edited by RJ (not THAT RJ)

Point #6 is key. It was so obvious that the Bears depth was much better than the Bills depth. This is nothing new. Its why the Pats, Eagles, Steelers, Pack, Ravens, Saints and a bunch of other teams are solid. Injuries are going to happen to every team. Buffalo can't afford any. I can see now why national media predicts the Bills another 4 or 5 win season. I thought they could get 8 or 9 but that's if they suffer no major injuries and get some bounces.

Ralph and his accountants care little about depth. By the time it's needed, most of the tickets already have been sold.

Most excellent :thumbsup:

1. My first take was that the uniforms looked sweet! :thumbsup:

2. Dareus looks like a beast! Don't care what the competition or the situation was, that was very nice to see! :thumbsup:

3. Merriman looks like a beast! Don't care what the competition or the situation was, that was very nice to see! :thumbsup:

4. Very happy to not see Lil Donte or Pos in a Bills uniform anymore! :thumbsup:

5. As for everything else, don't really care too much right now about Kelsay or Maybin or Wang or Evans gone, I'm overall VERY happy with the moves I've seen so far. it's only the 1st pre-season game, no one got hurt that I know of. :thumbsup:

ETA:

6. LOVE Brad '$' Smith, great pick-up! :thumbsup:

Edited by Rico

1. It was glaringly obvious that Evans was missed; no deep threat at all resulting in lots of 5-15 yard range plays. Might change as he's only been gone for a day but ... bah.

2. Chandler had a big ugly drop on first team.

3. Defense looks for real, impressive even.

4. O-line depth is horrible.

5. Corner looked dubious on a couple of plays.

6. Second team defense has lots of issues defending against the run, first team looked solid.

7. Levi Brown is a completly different QB from Fitz and Thigpen but looks to have made some solid progress; his second to last drive was horrible though.

8. Huggins looks good at WR, again (as he did last preseason as well), Rooseveldt does indeed grab everything thrown at him, Davis is horrible, Easley didnt look much better then Davis. Wasnt Jones his night either. I very worried staff overvalued our WR depth, cant help to think that with Evans we might have been able to surprise this year. We really need one of the guys to step up and take over 2nd receiver role in the way Johnson did last year, Huggins aside (who we only been able to see versus thrid stringers in all his preseason games) I simply havent seen the guy on our team this game.

9. Spiller showed some improvement but seems to be too easy to stop at times. Then again White was getting hammered before he could get roling as well, might be more due to o-line issues then to the respective players.

10. Overall I'm worried about the offense, playcalling does yield results and seems to mask plenty of issues, the offense was moving up the field; but it certainly failed to give the big threat feeling that the offense showed glimpses of last year; time will tell.

11. No real gems to be spotted on 3rd and 4th teams on our side so far, maybe this due to absent otas and stuff, Jasper looked to be getting a good push and penetration to the point where they were double teaming him though. Bears center with number 67 was owning our 3rd team line btw; at one point he pancaked 2 (!) of our linemen.

Edited by bladiebla

The OL will hold this team back. Worst unit on the team.

Which has been the case for years...which is why Evans couldn't excel...which made him expendable...which is why we drafted 3rd this yr...which is why _____________________ (Pick your poison & fill in the blank)

Edited by Enuf-is-Enuf

Wait.. are you kidding? Every time White got the ball he was instantly met in the backfield by defenders. Surely you don't expect him to somehow standout when he's not getting a lick of help from his OL?

The most foolish part is what he thought in reason #5, and then wonders why White did not stand out.