Cards have interest

WAIT!!

Why is everyone evaluating Lee's value to this team in the vacuum of a traditional two-wide offense?

Don't have a straight ahead burner? We have several--Parish, Jones and Roosevelt all come to mind. And another one that's not even a wide receiver,but a running back, drafted 9th overall for his versatility.

Johnson needs Lee to get open? Well, sure that's ONE way to get a receiver open. A person taking a holistic view might tell you that the addition of Brad Smith in combination with pseudo spread offense can keep teams and DB'S off balance and honest just as effectively as Lee. It's just a different way of going about it.

I don't see how we can all collectively agree that Chan's willing/able to install wrinkles and gadgets galore, yet we're totally handcuffed to Lee's presence because using him as a decoy is the only way to get guys open and generate offense.

Edited by The Big Cat

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To all you pro-trade guys, do you ever wonder how many good ball players never reach their potential, playing on a squad that is perpetually flawed, and "building" for some better tomorrow that never seems to come? I don't expect the Bills to win a lot more than they did last year, but it bums me out, going into the season, that the team management is already willing to mail in the season...

Improvement comes at a cost, and Lee Evans has gone past his peak (37 receptions vs. 82 for Steve Johnson this past year) in a system that doesn't depend on the long ball. So long as Ryan Fitzpatrick is our QB, he isn't an absolute must have kind of player.

you'd trade Dareus?

jw

Depends on the offer, to say you'd never trade someone is foolish. If a team calls me up and wants to make a Herschel Walker type deal for him he's gone right now. That's almost certainly not going to happen but to hang a "closed" sign outside the GMs office is foolish.

And not for nothin' Marcell Dareus has played a total of zero downs in the NFL. At this point he has just as much chance to be Wendell Bryant as he does Warren Sapp.

If someone wants to give me FIVE players, their #1 pick in 2012, 2013 and 2015, their #2 in 2012, 2013 and 2014, their #6 in 2012 AND their #3 in 2014 I will pack Marcell Dareus' bag for him. That's what Dallas got for Walker, 2 3's, a 5 and a 10.

Depends on the offer, to say you'd never trade someone is foolish. If a team calls me up and wants to make a Herschel Walker type deal for him he's gone right now. That's almost certainly not going to happen but to hang a "closed" sign outside the GMs office is foolish.

And not for nothin' Marcell Dareus has played a total of zero downs in the NFL. At this point he has just as much chance to be Wendell Bryant as he does Warren Sapp.

If someone wants to give me FIVE players, their #1 pick in 2012, 2013 and 2015, their #2 in 2012, 2013 and 2014, their #6 in 2012 AND their #3 in 2014 I will pack Marcell Dareus' bag for him. That's what Dallas got for Walker, 2 3's, a 5 and a 10.

geez, why not throw in Aaron Rodgers and Suh into the mix, to make it a three-team trade.

let's be serious for one moment, can't we.

jw

I will Big Cat. Be back soon :)

Actually, that one only traveled about 51 yards. Anyways, I was only adding the length of a TD pass on paper isn't the same as in the air. As for Fitz and Evans, I like both players, and wouldn't let Lee go for less than a 3rd and a 4th. Fitz, while upgradable, will do for now and definitely is better than reaching for someone in the draft.

geez, why not throw in Aaron Rodgers and Suh into the mix, to make it a three-team trade.

let's be serious for one moment, can't we.

jw

I am being serious. I originally stated that I'd listen to offers for everyone and you asked if I'd specifically trade Dareus. I don't know what your intent was in asking about that player specifically. Whether it was to make me contradict myself or respond the way I did so you could be dismissive in return. Your question was no more ridiculous than my original statement. Clearly I'm not advocating actively shopping our #1 draft pick from this year. Obviously in my scenario some players would be more expensive than others but that doesn't mean you don't listen. Dareus would be in the very small group of players you'd really have to convince me to deal and if someone wants to throw that deal I'd listen. I don't expect them to but it doesn't mean it wouldn't happen. I counter your question with one of my own, would you trade Spiller?

"Realistically" I'd look at any player on the roster who is 30 or older right now or whose contract expires in 2 years or less that we likely wouldn't want to re-sign (Donte Whitner at the start of last year) or who will likely command an insane premium that recent team history suggests we won't meet (see also Paul Pozluszny, Jason Peters, Nate Clements, Antoine Winfield, Jabari Greer). I'm writing off 2011 and 2012 and looking at 2013. If players are not going to be on the team in 2013 I move them now and collect assets that will be on the team in 2013 rather than let them walk for nothing. Lee Evans is one of those players. He will not be on this team in 2013, therefore if AZ or Baltimore wants to turn him into an asset I can use in the future I do it. The Bills would be smart to make decisions like this now and extend Stevie Johnson (if that's their intent) right now rather than after the year and front load the deal like the Eagles have done in order to take care of their player and preserve future cap space (we all know that won't happen and why it won't). If he has another year like last year he only gets more expensive and more likely to fall into the Clements/Winfield category.

The Bills are the Florida Marlins of the NFL and need to realize that if they know they can't keep someone (won't is usually more accurate) it's better to get something for them than to let them walk for nothing. They need to embrace the fact that they can only be cyclically good at best. The Marlins are terrible right now but have won 2 WS titles by riding the crest of young talent right before selling it off to restock and build another wave because they knew they couldn't pay Josh Beckett, AJ Burnett, Miguel Cabrera and the like when they were bidding against the big boys in the open market.

You've already pegged the Bills at 6 wins this year. How many wins does Lee Evans get you as opposed to anyone else you can put in that spot including anyone else on the roster or any other FAs you could sign? 1? Maybe? What's the difference between 6 and 5? Would you be substantially more satisfied with a 6 win season than a 5 win knowing that Evans could get you something of value?

WAIT!!

Why is everyone evaluating Lee's value to this team in the vacuum of a traditional two-wide offense?

Don't have a straight ahead burner? We have several--Parish, Jones and Roosevelt all come to mind. And another one that's not even a wide receiver,but a running back, drafted 9th overall for his versatility.

Johnson needs Lee to get open? Well, sure that's ONE way to get a receiver open. A person taking a holistic view might tell you that the addition of Brad Smith in combination with pseudo spread offense can keep teams and DB'S off balance and honest just as effectively as Lee. It's just a different way of going about it.

I don't see how we can all collectively agree that Chan's willing/able to install wrinkles and gadgets galore, yet we're totally handcuffed to Lee's presence because using him as a decoy is the only way to get guys open and generate offense.

Fitzy pretty much just said today (quoted) that Roosevelt isn't a burner. Scratch that one off your burner list. Not that I agree or disagree with your assesment of Evans.

If the Bills trade Evans for less than a 2nd or a starting olinemen, I would lose it. I love Stevie Johnson but he would be a nobody if he didn't have Evans on the other side (he even says it himself). Evans will never be Fitzgerald or Andre Johnson, but he is still the most feared player on our offense. Belichick would let the Bills try to beat them with Johnson 8 to 10 yard passes all day. But Evans is a potential tounchdown on every play.

Evans' value is a lot more to the Bills than it would be in anything you can get in a trade. Say the Bills trade him for a 4th. Would you really want a Evans for Easley trade?

Evans' value is a lot more to the Bills than it would be in anything you can get in a trade. Say the Bills trade him for a 4th. Would you really want a Evans for Easley trade?

It depends on what you do with the pick. Charlie Joiner was a 4, Mark Bavaro was a 4, Hell, Andre Reed was a 4. Would you do a Reed for Evans? We can play this game all day you pick a crappy 4th rounder I pick a good one. The odds say that you won't hit a home run with a 4th rounder, but the odds also say that the Bills will win 6 games this year and that Evans will be done in 2 years anyway so unless we're winning the Super Bowl in 2012 what's his purpose?

looks like a salary dump

trading him for anything other than a starting caliber OT is plain stupid

getting draft picks in 2012 does nothing to help this team in 2011

but typical of the Bills Inner Circle Jerk

dumping 3.28 mil against the cap when you are 26.5 mil under? Makes about as much sense as crashing your truck for the insurance money to pay for the truck

Please, don't confuse him any more than he already is.

Perhaps him calling it a salary dump is a bit off, but it's a clear indication winning now isn't the priority. I guess we're only 1.5 years into the 3 year plan...