Do fans really believe we can compete above .500 in 2011?

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems like every year there is optimism at the beginning of the year by some people who are fans and then you have those one or two sports writers who actually think we can surprise people. While it does get old getting our hopes up only to see another disappointing season (and I certainly don't have high expectations for us this year) you also can't deny the games we were in last year: @ Baltimore, @ New England, @ Kansas City, vs Pittsburgh, vs Chicago. All of those teams were playoff teams and I would say all but Kansas City were legitimate superbowl contenders. That said we were still 4-12 and I think some people are jumping the gun about Dareus. Don't get me wrong I liked the pick but there is still a good chance he could be a bust too.

Edited by Talley56

not the realistic one.

4-10 with Fitz including 3 losses in overtime another by three to the Bears. That is 4 losses that easily could have gone the other way. Do I have to walk you through the Nelson "fumble" versus Baltimore, Lindell missed FG on Kansas City, and Johnson's drop versus the Steelers. This with a schedule of nine playoff teams. This year schedule is easier in my opinion, defense has to be better, Fitzpatrick should even be better I'm looking at 8-8 an if they can get around 8-8 then 9-7 is in reach.

It seems like every year there is optimism at the beginning of the year by some people who are fans and then you have those one or two sports writers who actually think we can surprise people. While it does get old getting our hopes up only to see another disappointing season (and I certainly don't have high expectations for us this year) you also can't deny the games we were in last year: @ Baltimore, @ New England, @ Kansas City, vs Pittsburgh, vs Chicago. All of those teams were playoff teams and I would say all but Kansas City were legitimate superbowl contenders. That said we were still 4-12 and I think some people are jumping the gun about Dareus. Don't get me wrong I liked the pick but there is still a good chance he could be a bust too.

Thing is- I don't buy us winning all those games and you could easily say we barely beat some bad teams (minus cincy falling apart physically in the secondary, did we win a game by more than 7?)

If we take a big step up and split the games we were hanging around in, we still aren't .500 (or maybe dead on 8-8 at best)

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

If there was anytime I want to be wrong is on this topic. :) Go Bills!

I think that 8-8 or better is possible, especially if the Bills stay healthy.

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

10 -6 baby!!!

Short answer: No. This franchise won't compete until it has a long term ownership stability and a location the top young players want to be in. The Bills today are the Kansas City Royals. Just hangin' around playin some football, winnin' a few but getting pounded by most. Just the way it is.

higher than 8-8 YEAH BABY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8-8 YEAH BABY

7-9 yeah baby

6-10 average

4-12 thats sucks

2-12 Andrew LUCK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by aussiebills

I can see us squeezing 7 wins if we have a solid season\, and things go our way.

Or we could win maybe 4 games again this year if things don't go well. I don't see us losing more then 4, our schedule is pretty kind this year

If this team doesn't play decent football this year, the only thing it will be due to is a lack of execution by the talented players on the team, and the very suspect offensive line. also very important to the success of the team is the play of Ryan Fitzpatrick, which is linked to O-line play, and whether or not defense is stronger.

I am not optimistic, but I am not going to say the team sucks and can't do well. 8-9 wins are very achievable, but I am not truly expecting more than 6-7.

still waiting for the baby....

I can name 8 divisional games the Bills have at least an even chance of winning.

They only play 6 divisional games a year, so how do you see 8? They play the Pats, Jets and Dolphins twice a year. They have a chance to beat the Fins both times, but the other two? Doubt it. Especially the road games.

Of course the success will hang on the shoulders of Fitz. Hes a huge question mark.

He throw a lot of TDs but also turned the ball over a lot, something like 13 times in the last nine games.

The play of the younger players and new additions will need to be near stellar for this team to hit 8-8. The rest of the division got better, at least on paper. We did not.

This is a description of personal depression. http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/where-to-get-help-for-depression/

No depression there at all (and no I didn't click on your dumb link), and I cheer as much or more than any other Bills fan does on sundays, but I am not blind. This product has been garbage for over a decade, so until it gets better why expect it to? Until there is new ownership, among many other things it probably won't change, although I am as hopeful as anyone else, just not convinced like some people on here. We have a quarterback, who odds are will never be a starting quarterback after this season. Our O-Line is still very suspect at best, especially the tackles. I could go on and on, but if you think this team is already a very good team then I don't want to disappoint you, the team will do it for me.

I'm curious as to why Barnett can be considered a slight downgrade. Assuming he stays healthy (a big if for any player) what is it about any aspect of his game that is not as good as Poz? From a speed, lateral movement, and pursuit perspective, I think Barnett is an upgrade. What about his game is not as good as Poz?

GO BILLS!!!

The health issue is a wash between the two, because they've both had significant injury problems. That being said, I don't get some fans fixation with Poz. He was a decent player, but nothing more. Granted, he had subpar lines in front of him during his time here, but he was never able to fight through blocks and be a real difference maker in anyway. He definitely was a liability in coverage. From everything I've seen and heard about Barnett, he's better in every category.