Do fans really believe we can compete above .500 in 2011?

I purposely posted this prior to the pre-season and regular season. Looking at this roster on paper I still think we are in yet another rebuilding season. Fitz is still a question mark, the o-line is a question mark, D-Line (while greatly improved), LB's and our secondary is a question mark. Special teams last year were solid minus some Moorman struggles. I'm not really concerned about ST.

I just can't put on the rose colored glasses like I have in previous years thinking we are going to win 9 -10 games. Realistically, I see this as a 4-5 win season if we stay reasonable healthy. Looking at the depth (or lack there of) of this roster this season could get ugly if we have some serious injuries at any combination of these question mark positions.

I'm not a doom and gloom type guy but I still think we are a few more years out to get to 9 win seasons.

If there was anytime I want to be wrong is on this topic. :) Go Bills!

Edited by BuffaloBillsForever

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are always going to be delusional fans that think this pathetic franchise is going to be above .500, go the to playoffs, win the Super Bowl, etc. Every year that the playoff-less streak grows, and as every sad season goes by the optimism gets less and less. We always hope that this is the year it finally takes an upward trend, but I would rather be pessimistic and be surprised then continue to be disappointed year after year.

Edited by billsfreak

There are always going to be delusional fans that think this pathetic franchise is going to be above .500, go the to playoffs, win the Super Bowl, etc. Every year that the playoff-less streak grows, and as every sad season goes by the optimism gets less and less. We always hope that this is the year it finally takes an upward trend, but I would rather be pessimistic and be surprised then continue to be disappointed year after year.

Well, at least you recognize that being pessimistic is a choice.

GO BILLS!!!

I don't see it. This year's team isn't much different from last year's, and last year's was terrible. None of the units (offense, defense, or special teams) was what I'd call good, although the offense was at least watchable (big upgrade from the Jauron/Trent era). Our D should be better this year, but the O? Eh. We'll see.

I know that some are thinking 9 wins or more, potential wildcard etc. but these same people had the same outlook this time last year.

I personally don't see 8 wins this season, much less 9. And I am more than OK with that. After the pathetic first draft of the Nix era, I think this draft shows great promise. I fully expect the defense to be improved this season, and if "lights out" can stay on the field perhaps greatly improved. But the defense is still far from being a powerhouse, and the weaknesses in the offense are still there. Couple that with playing in the AFC East and that adds up to a sub .500 season in my opinion.

What I hope to see this season is a defense we do not have to be ashamed of and a team that looks like they have a plan for the future. Yeah maybe my goals are not lofty enough for some and maybe I am too used to the decade plus of suck. But then again, Rome was not built in a day either.

One the positive side, we were 4-4 in the 2nd half of the season last year.

But there are lots of question marks. On the offensive side, I'm hoping each of the starting 5 Off. Linemen plays better than they've played before. The optimist in me says it's possible. The realist says that's a lot to ask.

On the defensive side, we're looking at a very different front seven. That's good because our run defense was horrible last year. But it remains to be seen if this front seven is better. How will Dareus fare as a rookie? Is Merriman healthy?

I'm hoping for 10-6, expecting 8-8, and wouldn't be shocked by 6-10. But it won't be worse than that.

I believe this is a playoff team, and I'm correct in believing so. Our defense is improved from last year, our offense has remained unchanged (which hasn't happened much in the past few years), our defensive coaching is better ('stache), and we had a bunch of games we should have won last year. If this team figures out early in the season how to win close games, look out. Yeah, we've been a bottom feeder for many years, but this is still the NFL. Any given Sunday baby! Till they start losing games, I'll have eternal faith.

At the start of the season everyone is 0-0. Anything can happen. That's why you watch the games, right? Let's put it another way. This is the one time of year you get to be an honest to God fan again. A real fan. Like back in the days before internet message boards turned fandom into some weird kind of pissing contest between fans of the same team.

It's the one time of year where you can have real hope and not be wrong. Hell, you shouldn't even worry about right and wrong. This time of year is about loving the team like you did when you were a kid. Before you knew about the business side of the sport. Before it became cooler to be "right" on a message board than it was to support your team. This is the time of year to forget about who we should have drafted or who we should have signed and embrace the team for who they are. Because in the end, that's all we got for this season. This is the time of year to love your team unabashedly and without exception.

Because this is the time of year the team is perfect. 0-0.

And if you are a pessimist by nature (and after the past decade, who could blame you) and assume the Bills are going to be miserable yet again, do everyone a favor and just keep quiet. Just for now. Just for this magical part of the season. Try tapping into your inner fan. It's there somewhere, lurking -- otherwise you wouldn't even be on this board. Allow yourself to billieve -- just for a little while. What's the harm in a little hope? After all, you know you'll only have to wait a few weeks into the season to see the Bills fall apart, right? Then you can start running your mouth about how you knew this would happen. You'll still have plenty of time to prove to the internet how smart you are and how dumb all the fans with hope are.

Until then ... try being a fan.

That's my hope at least. :pirate:

I thought we had a pretty good draft and I thought we got a little better at the end to the year last year, so I thought with a really good off-season we could get to a 8-8 or 9-7 season this year but I don't think we've had a very good off-season to this point in fact I'd give it a D- I wouldn't have paid POZ what he got but while Barnett might be a better value he's not an upgrade if fact he may be a slight downgrade, Brad Smith meh- So as of now I have the Bills at an optimistic 6-10, subject to change if we acquire more talent (although as of now the FA pool looks pretty picked over) or if one of our unknowns really comes on. I don't make real predictions until the day before the first regular season game.

I thought we had a pretty good draft and I thought we got a little better at the end to the year last year, so I thought with a really good off-season we could get to a 8-8 or 9-7 season this year but I don't think we've had a very good off-season to this point in fact I'd give it a D- I wouldn't have paid POZ what he got but while Barnett might be a better value he's not an upgrade if fact he may be a slight downgrade, Brad Smith meh- So as of now I have the Bills at an optimistic 6-10, subject to change if we acquire more talent (although as of now the FA pool looks pretty picked over) or if one of our unknowns really comes on. I don't make real predictions until the day before the first regular season game.

I'm curious as to why Barnett can be considered a slight downgrade. Assuming he stays healthy (a big if for any player) what is it about any aspect of his game that is not as good as Poz? From a speed, lateral movement, and pursuit perspective, I think Barnett is an upgrade. What about his game is not as good as Poz?

GO BILLS!!!

I'm curious as to why Barnett can be considered a slight downgrade. Assuming he stays healthy (a big if for any player) what is it about any aspect of his game that is not as good as Poz? From a speed, lateral movement, and pursuit perspective, I think Barnett is an upgrade. What about his game is not as good as Poz?

GO BILLS!!!

If he stays healthy (which was a problem with Poz) he's definitely an upgrade over Poz.

At the start of the season everyone is 0-0. Anything can happen. That's why you watch the games, right? Let's put it another way. This is the one time of year you get to be an honest to God fan again. A real fan. Like back in the days before internet message boards turned fandom into some weird kind of pissing contest between fans of the same team.

It's the one time of year where you can have real hope and not be wrong. Hell, you shouldn't even worry about right and wrong. This time of year is about loving the team like you did when you were a kid. Before you knew about the business side of the sport. Before it became cooler to be "right" on a message board than it was to support your team. This is the time of year to forget about who we should have drafted or who we should have signed and embrace the team for who they are. Because in the end, that's all we got for this season. This is the time of year to love your team unabashedly and without exception.

Because this is the time of year the team is perfect. 0-0.

And if you are a pessimist by nature (and after the past decade, who could blame you) and assume the Bills are going to be miserable yet again, do everyone a favor and just keep quiet. Just for now. Just for this magical part of the season. Try tapping into your inner fan. It's there somewhere, lurking -- otherwise you wouldn't even be on this board. Allow yourself to billieve -- just for a little while. What's the harm in a little hope? After all, you know you'll only have to wait a few weeks into the season to see the Bills fall apart, right? Then you can start running your mouth about how you knew this would happen. You'll still have plenty of time to prove to the internet how smart you are and how dumb all the fans with hope are.

Until then ... try being a fan.

That's my hope at least. :pirate:

I disagree with your premise that a "fan" needs to profess blind faith that the team is great, going to make the playoffs/superbowl or whatever. You and others may choose to do so and that's your choice and of course are welcome to it. But others may enjoy candid discussion of the merits (or lack thereof) of their favorite teams players, coaches, office, etc. In my opinion anyway, this does not make them any more or less of a fan of the team.

My hope is that everyone would recognize this and stop trying to tell others how to think, talk, or enjoy their favorite team. :beer: