Parcells' Legacy in Miami

cale

Another shining example of the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns, or BPLODR for short.

It's gotta kill him seeing Belichick's continued success.

Edit: after just reading that opinion piece, I think it's hilarious the writer (Le Batard) actually criticizes the Dolphins for emphasizing OL picks while citing the Packers', Colts', and Saints' reliance on the pass. Too funny.

As Bills fans we should EXPECT two wins against the Fish this season.

Edited by eball

Another shining example of the Bill Parcells Law of Diminishing Returns, or BPLODR for short.

Edit: after just reading that opinion piece, I think it's hilarious the writer (Le Batard) actually criticizes the Dolphins for emphasizing OL picks while citing the Packers', Colts', and Saints' reliance on the pass. Too funny.

Thank you, eball! I immodestly claim the creation of the BPLODR, but am delighted to see it used. As soon as I opened this thread I knew it would be appropriate. :thumbsup:

Thank you, eball! I immodestly claim the creation of the BPLODR, but am delighted to see it used. As soon as I opened this thread I knew it would be appropriate. :thumbsup:

I almost credited you in the post -- the BPLODR is one of my favorite NFL truisms. :thumbsup:

Also funny is how Lebatard hates big defenders over small and fast ones. Did Dickless write this column? Call the Fins asap and trade them Aaron Maybin.

PTR

really stupid piece. Parcells took over a 1-15 team (worse than the Bills have ever been) and got them to 11-5 the next season. He took over a 2-14 Pats team and got them to the SB in a few years. Regardless of where Miami stands now, it's inarguable that he pulled off a turnaround for the ages. Btw, it attacks Parcells for stupidly sticking with a grind-it-out running game. As a matter of fact, he did the opposite in NE, throwing the ball all of the time with Bledsoe. They led the league in passing attempts and passing yards in 1994. They were first in attempts in 1995 and second in attempts in 1996. The guy didn't do his homework.

really stupid piece. Parcells took over a 1-15 team (worse than the Bills have ever been) and got them to 11-5 the next season. He took over a 2-14 Pats team and got them to the SB in a few years. Regardless of where Miami stands now, it's inarguable that he pulled off a turnaround for the ages. Btw, it attacks Parcells for stupidly sticking with a grind-it-out running game. As a matter of fact, he did the opposite in NE, throwing the ball all of the time with Bledsoe. They led the league in passing attempts and passing yards in 1994. They were first in attempts in 1995 and second in attempts in 1996. The guy didn't do his homework.

Hence the BPLODR. Instant success, followed by a gradual decline as "tough guy" methods used to whip a team into shape grow old and tired, and eventually The Tuna jumps from a sinking ship. We saw the smash Broadway debut, where the legend was built, and were then witness to four gut-wrenching sequels (Boston, back to New York, Dallas, and Miami).

I have a more favorable opinion of the piece.

A while ago, I looked at the records Parcells the GM's teams have complied. During his first year with a new team, Parcells the GM's teams attained winning records. (Around 10-6 on average, IIRC.) But in years other than the first year, Parcells the GM's teams have finished at about an average of 8-8.

His tenure with the Dolphins is a perfect example of this. In his first year he went 11-5, as you pointed out. But a lot of that 11-5 was based on some lucky breaks, as well as short-term stopgap measures. As an example of the latter, Chad Pennington played well for the Dolphins that year. But he later became injured/ineffective/retired, and there was no realistic replacement on the roster. That's the biggest single reason why the Dolphins haven't had a winning season since Parcells' first year as GM.

I agree with the author that the passing game has become far more important than the running game. I also agree that Parcells typically hasn't responded appropriately to this change--mostly because he hasn't been great at adding good QBs to the teams he GMs.

I strongly disagree with the author's implication that this new emphasis on the passing game is a good reason to avoid using early draft picks on offensive linemen. Offensive linemen aren't just there for run blocking. They're there for pass protection, which might have a little something to do with improving one's passing game!

If you consistently give Trent Dilfer five seconds to throw, then over the course of the game he'll be moderately effective. If you consistently give Kurt Warner five seconds to throw, he'll rip out the defense's throat. The combination of a good QB + good pass protection is a very powerful one. Parcells failed largely because he did not obtain the first half of that equation.

Edited by Edwards' Arm

Hence the BPLODR. Instant success, followed by a gradual decline as "tough guy" methods used to whip a team into shape grow old and tired, and eventually The Tuna jumps from a sinking ship. We saw the smash Broadway debut, where the legend was built, and were then witness to four gut-wrenching sequels (Boston, back to New York, Dallas, and Miami).

Quite so. And note that at each stop, the highest point was lower than the last, and each tenure was shorter..... Time for the Tuna to retire.

Um ... I'll take some instant success given the sort of success the Bills have had in the last eleven years. What people aren't acknowledging is that he took over a horrible dolphins roster and made them instantly competitive. Were they as good the next season? No, but the qb got hurt and they never had great talent anyway. Still, they go after it in the FA market and they *actually try to win right away*. There ain't any bs four-year plans when parcells involved.

Btw, why are even arguing about parcells?. The man has two sb victories. And before you chalk it up to belichick, remember that being a good coach requires the ability to hire good staff. He's theguy who plucked BB out of nowhere, not the reverse. Parcells is the guy who had the smarts to hire belichick, coughlin, Weiss, etc. Give the guy some credit.

Edited by dave mcbride

Um ... I'll take some instant success given the sort of success the Bills have had in the last eleven years. What people aren't acknowledging is that he took over a horrible dolphins roster and made them instantly competitive. Were they as good the next season? No, but the qb got hurt and they never had great talent anyway. Still, they go after it in the FA market and they *actually try to win right away*. There ain't any bs four-year plans when parcells involved.

Btw, why are even arguing about parcels. Th man has two sb victories. And before you chalk it up to belichik, remember that being a good coach requires the ability to hire good staff. He's he GU who plucked BB out of nowhere, not the reverse. Parcells is the guy who had the smarts to hire belichick, coughlin, Weiss, etc. Give the guy some credit.

There were 3 main reasons the 2008 season was a fluky success for the Dols. The first was the acquisition of Pennington. The second was Brady going down in the first game of the season. And the third was the unveiling of the "Wildcat." As for the first 2, Parcells couldn't/didn't plan those (the Brady injury is obvious, and had he been healthy, the Pats would have won the division and been the only representative from the AFC East) since Pennington's availability resulted from the Jets' trade for Favre, which happened on August 7th, about a week after Miami's camp opened. As for the 3rd, the "Wildcat" was unveiled as a desperation move after starting 0-2.

And yes having that 1 playoff season is better than the Bills' none, but for what Parcells was supposed to bring, it is a disappointment. And things don't appear to be getting any better for them.

Btw, why are even arguing about parcells?. The man has two sb victories. And before you chalk it up to belichick, remember that being a good coach requires the ability to hire good staff. He's theguy who plucked BB out of nowhere, not the reverse. Parcells is the guy who had the smarts to hire belichick, coughlin, Weiss, etc. Give the guy some credit.

I place exactly zero value on "try to win right away," except to the extent that it's indicative of a long-term effort to build a solid core. Sure, it may seem impressive to acquire a bunch of additional wins in year 1 of the rebuilding process. But when years 2 and 3 roll around and it's clear that year 1 was just a flash in the pan, then what?

TD was a master at the "win now" approach. Trading away a first round pick for an aging Bledsoe was classic "win now." Letting Winfield walk so that he'd have the salary cap space to sign Troy Vincent and Lawyer Milloy was "win now."

Marv picked up right where TD left off. Going into the 2006 draft, it was felt that the two positions which could most help the Bills "win now" were SS and DT. So that's what the Bills focused on with their first two picks of the draft. In Marv's second year, they used their first two picks on a RB and LB--positions normally associated with an instant impact. Whether Lynch represented the best possible long-term use of the 12th overall pick may not have been central to Marv's thinking. Lynch could help the Bills win now!

Shortsightedness, and the win now mentality it implies, is exactly what's been wrong with the Bills for at least the last decade. Year 1 of any given rebuilding program is the absolute least important time to get extra wins. If a team lacks an adequate core--as is the case with the Bills--its primary and secondary focus should be on building that core! :angry:

As for Parcells' two Super Bowl wins: he earned them as a head coach, not as a general manager. Bills fans know a little something about guys who are better as head coaches than as general managers.