Preseason: What to expect

I think the Bills are a lock to finish AT WORST 3-1 after preseason.

Aside from the fact that preseason records are entirely meaningless, there are two important factors that should be addressed ahead so as to preemptively manage the fan base expectations going into the regular season.

1.) Comparatively speaking, the Bills are scary deep at quarterback. This should make for preseason games that are fun to watch through all four quarters (a rarity), but it will also give the frothing optimists reason to believe we have one of the NFL's most dynamic and "explosive" offensive units. In reality, we have the makings for a potentially potent offense, but unlike most teams, there isn't a severe drop off in talent from units 1-3. Interpret that observation however you like, but it leads right into factor #2:

2.) We have anywhere from 5-7 wide receivers on our roster that would be 4/5 options playing for some of the league's better teams. So, while we won't see a drastic drop in preseason performance from Fitzpatrick to Smith, we should also expect a similar level of consistency from our receiving corps as we get into the latter portion of preseason games.

Now, all eyes will be on our starters and how they fare against our opponent's best players, but it will be tough to ignore how badly our scrubs are going to school their scrubs. For that, my sanity is grateful (high quality football the game throughout), but again, I'm worried that the kind of garbage time domination I anticipate will have some Bills fans booking their airfares to this year's Super Bowl.

Cant wait to see how it all plays out!

I'm still excited. I don't care how meaningless preseason is - we have so many questions that need to be answered.

How will the offensive line shake out?

What receiver that's on the bubble will stand out and make the 53 man roster? (I'm looking at you, Naaman)

One of the LBs that we've drafted (or signed that went undrafted) in the past few years will likely be cut, who will it be? These preseason games mean the most for that group of guys. (Antonio Coleman, Danny Batten, Chris White, Aaron Maybin, etc..)

We can find out how good/comfortable Tyler Thigpen is in Gailey's system.

WILL SHAWNE MERRIMAN HOLD UP?

Johnny White will surely get a lot of carries this preseason. What will his role be in this offense if he ends up doing really well in these preseason games?

How dominant will our defensive line look?

OK, I'll stop. But you get my point. And I agree - we could end up with a good preseason record which means nothing but hey, Bills fans need some hope. I, for one, CAN'T WAIT.

How are we SCARY deep at QB? we have (as it stands) a very average starting qb, an average back up qb, and a third string qb who isnt even really a qb lol... and levi brown has shown nothing in his brief career. I agree about the WR's though :thumbsup:

... oh and why would Bills fans get hyped up about dominating garbage time? No one cares about that unless theyre morons haha. People only get to hyped about preseason when they see the starters dominate, not the scrubs.

Edited by DUTE

How are we SCARY deep at QB? we have (as it stands) a very average starting qb, an average back up qb, and a third string qb who isnt even really a qb lol... and levi brown has shown nothing in his brief career. I agree about the WR's though :thumbsup:

... oh and why would Bills fans get hyped up about dominating garbage time? No one cares about that unless theyre morons haha. People only get to hyped about preseason when they see the starters dominate, not the scrubs.

Just can't get through 6 posts anywhere on the Wall w/o somebody ready & willing to URN8 on the Wheaties..dry.gif

I get what you're sayin' Big Cat, but.. -and this is just my opinion- the way NYJ & NE* schooled us in the 2nd matches last year, implies they learned a lot about us/Gailey's offensive history. IMO, the more vanilla the pre-season O-pkgs, the better.

Make no mistake, we need to catch the Chiefs lookin' past us in the opener.

Edit: come to think of it, NYJ schooled us pretty good in the 1st match..

I think the Bills are a lock to finish AT WORST 3-1 after preseason.

Aside from the fact that preseason records are entirely meaningless, there are two important factors that should be addressed ahead so as to preemptively manage the fan base expectations going into the regular season.

1.) Comparatively speaking, the Bills are scary deep at quarterback. This should make for preseason games that are fun to watch through all four quarters (a rarity), but it will also give the frothing optimists reason to believe we have one of the NFL's most dynamic and "explosive" offensive units. In reality, we have the makings for a potentially potent offense, but unlike most teams, there isn't a severe drop off in talent from units 1-3. Interpret that observation however you like, but it leads right into factor #2:

2.) We have anywhere from 5-7 wide receivers on our roster that would be 4/5 options playing for some of the league's better teams. So, while we won't see a drastic drop in preseason performance from Fitzpatrick to Smith, we should also expect a similar level of consistency from our receiving corps as we get into the latter portion of preseason games.

Now, all eyes will be on our starters and how they fare against our opponent's best players, but it will be tough to ignore how badly our scrubs are going to school their scrubs. For that, my sanity is grateful (high quality football the game throughout), but again, I'm worried that the kind of garbage time domination I anticipate will have some Bills fans booking their airfares to this year's Super Bowl.

Cant wait to see how it all plays out!

Scary deep at qb? Really?

I think the lack of dropoff speaks to our lack of playmakers more than it does our great depth. I'd say our second team is pretty average around the league.

Edited by NoSaint

Fitz looks cool and confident as ever at practice today. Thigpen looked pretty sharp too. Brown looked as uninterested as ever--he knows he's headed to the practice squad.

Smith is not a throwing QB--he would get destroyed if he was behind center other than for trick plays. Nesbit is listed as a DB and he throws like one. He's gone.

We are not "crazy deep at QB".

*I defy anyone to name an NFL team with as much talent in QBs 1-4.

How is any team a 'lock' for anything in pre-season? :unsure:

20,000+ craps on other people's posts and yet narry a thought of your own. Nice life.

Just can't get through 6 posts anywhere on the Wall w/o somebody ready & willing to URN8 on the Wheaties..dry.gif

I get what you're sayin' Big Cat, but.. -and this is just my opinion- the way NYJ & NE* schooled us in the 2nd matches last year, implies they learned a lot about us/Gailey's offensive history. IMO, the more vanilla the pre-season O-pkgs, the better.

Make no mistake, we need to catch the Chiefs lookin' past us in the opener.

Edit: come to think of it, NYJ schooled us pretty good in the 1st match..

I'm talking strictly from the ability to execute, no game planning necessary. I don't suspect we'll see our second and third QBs winging the ball all over the field like some kind of spastic fish out of water.

Scary deep at qb? Really?

I think the lack of dropoff speaks to our lack of playmakers more than it does our great depth. I'd say our second team is pretty average around the league.

*Ibid

Fitz looks cool and confident as ever at practice today. Thigpen looked pretty sharp too. Brown looked as uninterested as ever--he knows he's headed to the practice squad.

Smith is not a throwing QB--he would get destroyed if he was behind center other than for trick plays. Nesbit is listed as a DB and he throws like one. He's gone.

We are not "crazy deep at QB".

*Ibid, yes we are.

*I defy anyone to name an NFL team with as much talent in QBs 1-4.

Philly and pittsburgh come to mind offhand. Honestly even Denver to keep things in perspective. The giants are probably easily included.

Edited by NoSaint

The ridiculous scary deep/best QB depth chart comments aside, good thread. Preseason results are meaningless but I can't wait to get a look at some of the key players to this years campaign-- Dareus, Spiller, Troup and Merriman most of all. Cannot wait! Go Bills

Edited by Big Bad Boone

Preseason football is still football! I'm very excited for the start. I really want to see what Jasper can do in-game, and I want to have that first look of Williams and Dareus lined up next to each other.

scarry deep at QB?

Yep. If it needs repeating, I'm happy to indulge:

From quarterbacks one through four, there are few (if any) NFL teams that have a less severe drop-off in talent

I'll repeat this as well: you're welcome to interpret that observation however you please.