Riding Lawn Mowers

/dev/null

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a Snapper rear engine rider with a mulching blade. Same mower that Forrest Gump had in the movie. Mows great, fun to ride, and very high quality. The one I have has a pull start instead of a battery start...one less thing to go wrong. It's a lot smaller than most of the lawn tractors. Mine has a 30" cut. It's not a zero turn mower but I don't have too many trees to mow around.

Here's a link

I have a Snapper rear engine rider with a mulching blade. Same mower that Forrest Gump had in the movie. Mows great, fun to ride, and very high quality. The one I have has a pull start instead of a battery start...one less thing to go wrong. It's a lot smaller than most of the lawn tractors. Mine has a 30" cut. It's not a zero turn mower but I don't have too many trees to mow around.

Here's a link

You might think that... until the starter rope breaks.

I have read everyones responses and still do not get why you need a riding lawn mower? 1/3 of an acre?!?

Although, don't get one of the cheap models, which John Deere makes a crap load of; get a decent model. I really am partial to Cub Cadet. My mom replaced my grandpa's Cub Cadet with a John Deere that is just aweful. You have to push a button to back up while the blade is on...wtf is that!? (we have about 2 acres of lawn, so you cannot say we don't need one...plus I never mow the lawn - that's their "farm job")

Now that I have a house, I'm going to have to start mowing the lawn :doh:

I have kind of a big lawn, over 1/3 of an acre and am thinking of getting a riding mower. Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

Buy a sears tractor for many reasons. cheaper ,easy to work on, parts are easily on hand. Everything breaks. I mow 3 acres with my 54 inch sears mower no problems. It`s now 3 yrs old. Before it I had another sears rider 42 inch kohler 16 horse mower and I still use it. It`s 15 yrs old and I beat that poor mower ...camp and chewing paths out with it. I think this size would do you fine. Change the oil and filter ,keep the deck clean and you should be fine.Blades and belts is all you should need to change once in a while. Good luck.

I like the mulching blades.

I agree.

I have kind of a big lawn, over 1/3 of an acre and am thinking of getting a riding mower. Anyone have suggestions or recommendations?

I have a Cub Cadet, and it's a decent tractor. If you're not handy, I wouldn't recommend it because sharpening the blades is a fairly involved procedure. You have to drop the mower deck just to remove the blades on mine (42" deck). But with a 1/3 of an acre, a smaller riding lawn mower is probably big enough.

One-third of an acre and you need a riding mower??? Wow, you are lazier than Albert Haynesworth! :P

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. If mowing the lawn is all the walking you do, then you probably need to walk.

You can rationalize the "time saving" thing but you still have to edge and trim and a Rider can't do that.

On the other hand, IF you could ride it to get the Mail, maybe it could be justified? :blush:

Don't tell me you turn all suburbanite!

This won't give you a fat arse:

Scythe

Okay... A bit easier

Like johhnyb said... 1/3 is kinda small... I would look into a "zero-turn" machine... Probably your property has a lot of tigtht areas?

Here is a picture of what we mow at work:

Field Site

About 20 or so (give or take) acres, including roadway and fence line... We get by with:

Deere 3520

Deere 1495

Deere x300

Toro Z Master

And... Two weedeaters... One 20 year old Toro self-propelled push mower.

Takes about 2 days to manicure the lawns... The only thing that can fit across the river is the x300... And then it is tight fit going across the lock's upper sector gates.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Wow, a whole 1/3 of an acre!! I take it you are not big on doing any sort of exercise, huh?

You Wash your Mower????? :w00t:

What so funny about that... @ work we keep everything clean and ready to go... Same at home. Sometimes it doesn't need water, just the air from the compressor to blow all the debris off. One tractor was running for 1,000's of hours and still looks new... We finally got rid of it "just because."