Moats vs Harrison

So how is it that James Harrison is not too small to play rolb and Moats is. Harrison 5-11 242. Arthur Moats 6-0 250. I say a pass rusher ,is a pass rusher no matter what height. This is a god given skill ,few have. Oh yeah Freeney is 6-0 at DE. Leave Moatsie alone. Lets go BUUffaloooo.

So how is it that James Harrison is not too small to play rolb and Moats is. Harrison 5-11 242. Arthur Moats 6-0 250. I say a pass rusher ,is a pass rusher no matter what height. This is a god given skill ,few have. Oh yeah Freeney is 6-0 at DE. Leave Moatsie alone. Lets go BUUffaloooo.

I couldnt agree more with you here

I haven't seen that criticism of Moats. I thought they moved Moats inside because of his size and ability to take on runners. With Barnett and Merriman able to man the outside, need some beef next to Davis to stop the run and deliver some blows. I could be wrong, though.

I haven't seen that criticism of Moats. I thought they moved Moats inside because of his size and ability to take on runners. With Barnett and Merriman able to man the outside, need some beef next to Davis to stop the run and deliver some blows. I could be wrong, though.

I understood Barnett to be taking Poz's inside spot. Where did you hear he was to man the outside?

I thought Barnett plays INSIDE. Moats struggles inside. Been there done that.

I thought Barnett plays INSIDE. Moats struggles inside. Been there done that.

He's only been inside early in training camp (or was it OTA's) his rookie year. He'd struggle anywhere right off the back. I think it's Wannstadt's call honestly. I betcha Wanny thinks that he's got a chance to be a good ILB.

I think comparing him to James Harrison may be a reach, but it at least proves that a guy his size can in fact play OLB. I can understand why height should play a role in the decision between OLB and ILB, but weight is so much more important. I'd much rather have 6'0 250 then 6'4 228 (aka Aaron Maybin).

Edited by bills1960

I think comparing him to James Harrison may be a reach, but it at least proves that a guy his size can in fact play OLB. I can understand why height should play a role in the decision between OLB and ILB, but weight is so much more important. I'd much rather have 6'0 250 then 6'4 228 (aka Aaron Maybin).

Maybin is just playing out of position.

Randy Moss - 6'4" 210

Plaxico - 6'5" 232

Maybin - 6'4" 228

I'm not sure where Moats should or will play. I'm really not sold on George Edwards as a DC, but he was a LB coach and being a good one is what got him this job. Bob Sanders is probably our best and smartest position coach and he coaches LBs. Wanny coaches LBs. If they collectively decided that Moats is better off playing inside, I'm going to go with their decision.

That said, I wouldn't doubt if it's just a trial run, and if it doesn't work in a couple weeks, they will move him outside, as Nix hinted. If they sign another ILB, he will move back outside.

Personally, I think Gailey was trying to bluff there. They needed another body inside and probably are giving Maybin his last chance with reps on the outside. I'd expect to see Moats back to OLB soon enough... be patient young ones.

Personally, I think Gailey was trying to bluff there. They needed another body inside and probably are giving Maybin his last chance with reps on the outside. I'd expect to see Moats back to OLB soon enough... be patient young ones.

If you think Moats was moved inside to give Maybin opportunity you're acting young in your football knowledge. Maybin isn't going to be given anything by this coaching staff.

If you think Moats was moved inside to give Maybin opportunity you're acting young in your football knowledge. Maybin isn't going to be given anything by this coaching staff.

Last year, Maybin was on the field more than anyone in the preseason both in practice and in games. When regular season rolled around, he hadn't done enough to prove that he was capable of handling more than water bottles to teammates. Fact is, he will be given chances due to his top 15 pick status