Vikings release McKinnie

Welborn9

I wouldn't be against it, because that would mean that Nix, Whaley and Gailey REALLY thought he could help the team. I just see extremely little chance they will, however. They have made a concerted effort to change the culture of the Bills, and have signed and drafted (almost exclusively) tough, hungry, leaders who give 100% on the field.

McKinnie is none of those.

I fully agree. The thing is, imo he is better than anybody we have, including Bell IF he is healthy.

I will always believe that the Bills should use an early draft selection on an OT. Failure to do so (as well as the Mike Williams mistake) has left us hurting year after year at this extremely important position and has hampered the football team big time.

Even if he is a stop gap player, he might win us a game or 2. If they don't sign him I won't get overly excited. It's a bit suspicious when teams get rid of top blockers. It almost never happens, other than the Bills trading Peters. :)

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if he is a stop gap player, he might win us a game or 2. If they don't sign him I won't get overly excited. It's a bit suspicious when teams get rid of top blockers. It almost never happens, other than the Bills trading Peters. :)

and that Eagles aren't as thrilled with him as they were prior to him playing a game for them

A player leaving a team does not mean that there is higher value on the roster. Brad Butler and Langston Walker were certainly not higher values than Jason Peters, however he still left. Players leave for many reasons. Its not always because they are no good anymore. Sometimes its being out of shape, sometimes its their attitude, sometimes its a lack of production, sometimes its injuries, sometimes its contracts, and yes sometimes it is because there is a better player behind them. Demarcus Love does not qualify as that player

What leads you to believe that a ten year vet can do that? Obviously, not with the Vikings.

This also seems to imply that because the guy is older and over 30 that him being out of shape and unable to perform is somehow better than a younger guy being out of shape. It's much more difficult to keep your body performing post 30.

He may see the field again, but the question is, is it worth it for him to be there?

You've already had one NFL team decide that Demarcus Love has higher value than McKinney.

I wouldn't be against it, because that would mean that Nix, Whaley and Gailey REALLY thought he could help the team. I just see extremely little chance they will, however. They have made a concerted effort to change the culture of the Bills, and have signed and drafted (almost exclusively) tough, hungry, leaders who give 100% on the field.

McKinnie is none of those.

Durable, never misses a start, was just selected to the pro bowl in 09, its not like this guys a complete slouch

You've already had one NFL team decide that Demarcus Love has higher value than McKinney.

Obviously, sometimes players are cut for reasons beyond their value on the field. When the Bills let Ruben Brown go, was that because he wasn't one of the best 5 or 6 options the team had at guard? Brown was also not great at that point, but he would have still been the Bills best guard and he went on to play well and started in the Super Bowl for Chicago. Similarly, Langton Walker was cut despite the fact that he was probably still the Bills best and most experienced OT at the time.

and that Eagles aren't as thrilled with him as they were prior to him playing a game for them

Well, you see that's because they thought they had acquired a HOF player in exchange for only a pick at the end of the first round and some random scraps that would not likely pan out(and Nelson is just that).

They were giddy with excitement that a team could be so stupid as to trade the holy grail of offensive line talents for so little.

Alas, there was a reason Peters was available. His work ethic and desire to be great do not match his 330 pound, 4.9 40 yard dash with a 7' wing-span physical skills. So they are destined to watch him underachieve and merely be one of the best OT's in the league instead of a great player. It's all relative.

A player leaving a team does not mean that there is higher value on the roster. Brad Butler and Langston Walker were certainly not higher values than Jason Peters, however he still left. Players leave for many reasons. Its not always because they are no good anymore. Sometimes its being out of shape, sometimes its their attitude, sometimes its a lack of production, sometimes its injuries, sometimes its contracts, and yes sometimes it is because there is a better player behind them. Demarcus Love does not qualify as that player

That is a great observation. Of course, we already know why this player left. It was that he was overweight, out of shape, and the team felt he could not provide value at his position.

Let me be the first to admit that if we signed this guy I would be thrilled and LOVE THE MOVE! Its such a joke that everyone on this board thinks every player in the NFL sucks besides the one's on our team. Its such a joke. Vernon Carey and Bryant McKinnie are better than ANY, thats right ANY offensive lineman we have had this decade. I have news for everyone. The reason we have "heard of them", and the reason "they are ranked highly in madden" is because they are "good". Here is a concept. Good football players. Bring in good football players, and maybe you will have a good team. You guys can build your dream team with Manny Wrotto, Ed Wang, and Demetrius Bell, but call me crazy. I'd take Carey and McKinnie. Its so funny how everyone would like to pass on signings like this when these guys have combined for 214 starts out of 224 possible games for offensive lines that have been FAR FAR BETTER than ours for 10 years now. That is consistency, and reliability IMO something that this organization knows nothing about right now.

Thank you for a little does of common sense on this board. So many people are trying to say the Bills are fine with the players they have. It is baffling to me. We were 4-12 last year. 4-12. Other teams in our division added quality free agents, we did not. We lost one and replaced him with equivalent guy.

Yes clearly Demarcus Love is a better player than Bryant McKinnie. He should be removed from the league after being a pro bowl caliber left tackle for 8 seasons and not missing 1 game due to injury the whole time. Obviously in horrific shape and can never see the field again. Relax guys, he came into camp a little heavy. A 10 year vet thats never missed a start can do that every now and then.

Let me be the first to admit that if we signed this guy I would be thrilled and LOVE THE MOVE! Its such a joke that everyone on this board thinks every player in the NFL sucks besides the one's on our team. Its such a joke. Vernon Carey and Bryant McKinnie are better than ANY, thats right ANY offensive lineman we have had this decade. I have news for everyone. The reason we have "heard of them", and the reason "they are ranked highly in madden" is because they are "good". Here is a concept. Good football players. Bring in good football players, and maybe you will have a good team. You guys can build your dream team with Manny Wrotto, Ed Wang, and Demetrius Bell, but call me crazy. I'd take Carey and McKinnie. Its so funny how everyone would like to pass on signings like this when these guys have combined for 214 starts out of 224 possible games for offensive lines that have been FAR FAR BETTER than ours for 10 years now. That is consistency, and reliability IMO something that this organization knows nothing about right now.

You're telling others to relax?

This discussion reminds me of when Albert Haynesworth was available. Some guys are not worth it at any price. McKinnie is a piece of crap. He's proven it over and over. I do not want him anywhere near my favorite football team.

On top of that, he's probably at the end of his career seeing as he can't be depended upon to come into camp in shape in spite of being paid huge amounts of money.

No lazy, partying, lying pieces of shyt for me, thanks.

Vikings new head coach Leslie Frazier is a high-character guy. He's known as a man of integrity and a strong leader. He's decided to move on without Bryant McKinnie… and we should be anxious to pick up his scraps?

I can't think of another football player that I would want LESS than Bryant McKinnie.

I guess if they signed him, I would get behind the move. But the guy is a POS who could poison young players. He is more considered with partying with Willis than being a great player. He is lazy and unmotivated. Yes, he was better than Mike Williams but what does that mean now?

Fact is, he never came close to a pro bowl type player until he had arguably the best guard in football next to him. Tyson Clabo was a UDFA. Jason Peters (the elite LT who led us to 7-9 seasons) was UDFA. The league is filled with offensive linemen who came from no where to become good players. Unless there is a clear upgrade out there and not just some other team's scraps, let's see what our young guys got.

The guy has never missed a start due to an injury and he was a Pro Bowl player as recently as 2009. For crying out loud he's worth a shot. Bring him into camp, if he can't get into shape you can cut him. The guy has been a solid tackle his entire career, something the Bills don't have on their roster.

Obviously, sometimes players are cut for reasons beyond their value on the field. When the Bills let Ruben Brown go, was that because he wasn't one of the best 5 or 6 options the team had at guard? Brown was also not great at that point, but he would have still been the Bills best guard and he went on to play well and started in the Super Bowl for Chicago. Similarly, Langton Walker was cut despite the fact that he was probably still the Bills best and most experienced OT at the time.

Maybe so, but this isn't just any position, it's left tackle. The position on which franchises arguably place the most value, along with defensive end. Teams just don't go cutting LTs worth a damn. They're way too valuable and hard to replace. McKinnie was a very good, albeit lazy, player in his day and would certainly have been the better choice by the Bills over the even lazier Mike Williams. However, his best days are behind him. The Vikings certainly think so. No thanks. Pass.

I guess if they signed him, I would get behind the move. But the guy is a POS who could poison young players. He is more considered with partying with Willis than being a great player. He is lazy and unmotivated. Yes, he was better than Mike Williams but what does that mean now?

Fact is, he never came close to a pro bowl type player until he had arguably the best guard in football next to him. Tyson Clabo was a UDFA. Jason Peters (the elite LT who led us to 7-9 seasons) was UDFA. The league is filled with offensive linemen who came from no where to become good players. Unless there is a clear upgrade out there and not just some other team's scraps, let's see what our young guys got.

You make one point that I strongly agree with. Hutchinson was one of the best guards I for one have ever seen. The rest.....

Hutch came to Minnesota in 2006. This was the year that the Vikes ripped up McKinnie's old contract and gave him one for 48.5 mil., with a 13.5 mil. signing bonus. He was rewarded for his play BEFORE Hutch got there.

And, good LTs are worth their weight in gold. They don't have to be on the level of Pace, Munoz and Ogden. Ever watch Brad Hopkins play? Or Tarik Glenn? They were very good players, even if they weren't all time greats. McKinnie fell into this category imo, or perhaps slightly below.

Either way, you have to grab players like this early. The bolded above doesn't apply to the LT position. Generally, only morons like Levy/Jauron look past blockers to draft players such as Whitner, McKelvin, Lynch, etc. I know this is your brand of football, but it results in loss after loss.

Bell only has a job based on hopes that someday he might be as good as McKinnie. If McKinnie (or for that matter Carey) is healthy, we should sign one of these guys and distance ourself from the Jauron method of losing.

C'mon Buddy! Prove you are serious about improving the Bills and sign this old, overweight OT because we heard of him!

PTR

No, no, no. He just wants to finally fix the F'ed-up decision to take Mike Williams, 9yrs later. Buddy Nix campaign slogan, "Correcting the Past, to Fix the Future."

You make one point that I strongly agree with. Hutchinson was one of the best guards I for one have ever seen. The rest.....

Hutch came to Minnesota in 2006. This was the year that the Vikes ripped up McKinnie's old contract and gave him one for 48.5 mil., with a 13.5 mil. signing bonus. He was rewarded for his play BEFORE Hutch got there.

And, good LTs are worth their weight in gold. They don't have to be on the level of Pace, Munoz and Ogden. Ever watch Brad Hopkins play? Or Tarik Glenn? They were very good players, even if they weren't all time greats. McKinnie fell into this category imo, or perhaps slightly below.

Either way, you have to grab players like this early. The bolded above doesn't apply to the LT position. Generally, only morons like Levy/Jauron look past blockers to draft players such as Whitner, McKelvin, Lynch, etc. I know this is your brand of football, but it results in loss after loss.

Bell only has a job based on hopes that someday he might be as good as McKinnie. If McKinnie (or for that matter Carey) is healthy, we should sign one of these guys and distance ourself from the Jauron method of losing.

There is nothing healthy about McKinnie at the moment. He didn't pass his physical, was placed on the UFI list, and is reported to be up to around 380lbs. It took the Vikings little time to decide to cut their losses. Last season he got progressively worse as he struggled with his conditioning and actually GAINED wait over the course of the year where he ended it weighing 360lbs. His inability to maintain his conditioning has cost him $6m dollars in salary and bonus this year. If reports about his doctor's concerns over his cholesterol are true, I think there is a good chance he doesn't play this year.

GO BILLS!!!

Bottom line: who would you rather have this year? Mckinnie or Erik Pears...think about that for second.

I'm gonna try to be nice about this… Pears is the presumed starter at right tackle.

Bryant McKinnie has played his entire career (including college) at left tackle… think about that for a second.

This is the ultimate "I've heard of him" thread.

People who are actually advocating for McKinnie are in my eyes, not very knowledgeable about football, McKinnie, or what makes a good decision or a good investment. I wouldn't buy McKinnie if he was a penny stock… in other words, at any price. You couldn't give him to me and I'm incredulous that there are some people who actually think it would be a good idea to sign him.

Here's only one glimpse into his character (Wiki):

"McKinnie was selected to his first NFL Pro Bowl game in during the 2009 season, but before the event it was announced that he would not play in the game. The league said they had kicked him off his Pro Bowl squad for for skipping most of the team practices and obligations. He had previously told NFC offensive line coach Hudson Houck that he was ill. Houck told reporters, "he said Tuesday that he had the flu. Maybe it was the flu." According to McKinnie's Twitter account, bigmacvikings, three days before the Pro Bowl, McKinnie told followers "on my way 2 Mansion," referencing the Mansion Miami nightclub in his hometown. The next night, he wrote "leaving the beach headed 2 KOD's". KOD's meaning the King of Diamonds gentlemen's club. He had unexcused absences these two days in a row. When made aware of these Twitter updates, Houck was surprised. "Really? Well, this really is kind of a unique situation."[4] Bryant told reporters that due to injuries in his feet and left ankle he had decided he didn't want to play.[5] He said he called his agent and told him he was going to withdraw, but this was improperly communicated. Several weeks later has was ordered by the league to reimburse the NFL $4,285 for expenses in Miami that week. He also forfeited his $22,500 game check."