Aaron Maybin only weighs 228lbs

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin is a bust. If his weight is indeed 228 as his player page on ESPN is already reporting, then he is basically done. I think most followers of NFL football would know instinctively that 228 is significantly lighter then most OLB in the game, but let's look into it deeper and confirm.

Here is a table of last year's OLB sack leaders across the NFL, with their ESPN listed weights (hopefully this isn't too hard to read)

2010 OLB Sack leaders/Sacks/Rank/ Weight/ Height

James Harrison* / 10.5 / 16 / 242 / 6-0

Great post! Seeing the stats for James Harrison makes me wonder why they don't move him to ILB a la Arthur Moats. Don't the Steelers know that Harrison doesn't have prototypical size for OLB?

On a more serious note, regardless of Maybin's listed weight, we can all see how skinny he looks in practice footage available online. Forget about TE, he currently looks like a WR in terms of build. He's noticeably smaller than he was last year. I find it very hard to believe that anyone with that (relatively) slight of a physique could succeed at LB in the modern NFL. I can't remember ever seeing a LB that skinny out on the field during a game. Maybe he'll become some sort of crazy outlier, but I don't see it. I feel like he would have shown *something* in his limited action last year if he was ever going to be successful.

I call horsefeathers....if weight is solid muscle, it's hard to lose 10 lbs from an illness unless it's a tapeworm, if it's a tapeworm Maybin should see a doctor

Who said weight is solid muscle? It is easy to lose 10 lbs being sick. Most water weight lost comes back pretty quickly, but muscle and fat can also be lost during illness.

I still think they need to try Maybin at TE before they part ways with him.

I can only assume his hands are bricks.

228lb tight end? What is this 1974?

Great post! Seeing the stats for James Harrison makes me wonder why they don't move him to ILB a la Arthur Moats. Don't the Steelers know that Harrison doesn't have prototypical size for OLB?

Thanks. I wanted to find statistical confirmation of something that it seems we all mostly know from instinct: 228 is really small for an OLB. Maybin was drafted to be one of the guys from my previous list. A guy whose job it is to get sacks, and at this point he is going to really have to shock a lot of people (myself included) to do it at his current weight. Which is why I'm unfortunately pretty confident he is done in the NFL, basically without ever getting started.

As for Harrison, joking aside, I feel like he is a very instinctual and aggressive player who does a good job making up for being slightly undersized. For comparison, tho, if Harrison could use an extra 8 pounds to improve his game, Maybin, a guy who has shown no instinct for his position, would need to put on 3 times that amount. It's a big difference, and I again expect that it's just to big of one to make Maybin valuable at OLB, and there seems little point in trying to make an ILB, TE or SS out of him if he is clearly too stupid to know that losing weight in the off season was a career ending move.

Another note about Harrison: He is the only player on the list who went undrafted, and was cut several times before finally finding a spot on the Steelers roster. Even then he was a backup who saw little playing time his first 4 years in the league until he was 29 when he finally got his chance and has been tearing up offenses (and fines) ever since then. I know Gailey is on record stating that Maybin has heart, but if you put Harrison's heart into Maybins body out of college and he would be 2 time defending defensive MVP already. Maybin ain't got no heart neither, no matter what Gailey says to prop him up.

On a more serious note, regardless of Maybin's listed weight, we can all see how skinny he looks in practice footage available online. Forget about TE, he currently looks like a WR in terms of build. He's noticeably smaller than he was last year. I find it very hard to believe that anyone with that (relatively) slight of a physique could succeed at LB in the modern NFL. I can't remember ever seeing a LB that skinny out on the field during a game. Maybe he'll become some sort of crazy outlier, but I don't see it. I feel like he would have shown *something* in his limited action last year if he was ever going to be successful.

I couldn't agree more. If he had shown any promise at all before this point I might retain some hope given the weight development, but none given his first two years. He is a cut at end of camp. Wouldn't even practice squad him if we could.

Okay--let's play a what if game...

What if Maybin has something like 3 sacks this pre-season, looks like he generally knows what he's doing out there, and shows some flashes? All other things being equal, do you keep him or Coleman?

Sure keep him to play against other team's 3rd stringers.

Of course, it won't happen, tho.

A natural weight 246 pound linebacker is pretty good sized....Colemen is just a beast at 270ish

Maybin....220 something

Agreed, Coleman is sized nicely...Not only that but I thought he looked pretty good during his brief playing time. I thought he looked better than Moats, who was also playing well at the time.

I am very curious to see what Maybin does on Saturday. He is one of the young players who suddenly seems to be getting it. He is quietly stringing together good practices where he gets multiple QB pressures and would be sacks. If he can become a strong 3rd down/ Pass rush linebacker the linebacking core is suddenly becoming a strength on this team. Davis has looked solid, Merrimen looks very good, Kelsey has been good (I shuttered at the thought of saying that but its true..) Barnett is all over the field in practice and looks to be every bit the playmaker that Poz is. I think we might be on to something but I also think Maybin still might be able to shed the "BUST" status. I am curious to see how he performs on Saturday in "live" action. Thoughts anyone..

Maybin is an inherent bust, and that's the truth until he can get on the field and make a play in a real regular season game. I don't believe Maybin is at fault for his bust status. Most busts are labelled as such because of their poor work ethic resulting in an inability to adjust to their position in the NFL, or being injury-prone. It's not that he's not trying, and doing all that he can to adjust what he was given to the NFL. In actuality, picking him in the first place made him a bust- not his performance. It was a ridiculously senseless move. The fact is that he is attempting to play the LOLB position in a 34 defense at 6'4" 228lbs...The scary part of this fact is that he was drafted as a DE. The kid never had a chance.

Okay--let's play a what if game...

What if Maybin has something like 3 sacks this pre-season, looks like he generally knows what he's doing out there, and shows some flashes? All other things being equal, do you keep him or Coleman?

Funny you say that. As a matter of fact Maybin had exactly 3 sacks last preseason...And looked pretty good. Of course this was against 3rd and 4th stringers....\

I remember thinking that he was going to really make an impact after watching him play during the preseason last year...

We all saw how that translated into success...

Who said weight is solid muscle? It is easy to lose 10 lbs being sick. Most water weight lost comes back pretty quickly, but muscle and fat can also be lost during illness.

228lb tight end? What is this 1974?

According to Rick Azar on the '73 Hi-lite film, Paul Seymore was "a 252 lb. Tight End!"..

I do think Ernie Warlick was around 228lbs though..

I know this is old news...

I usually consider the writers for "shutdown corner" to be generally clueless...But the headline does make me laugh...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/NFL-s-worst-player-Aaron-Maybin-releases-awf?urn=nfl-284572

Maybin's Rap:

------------------------------------------------------------

Mayhem Maybin. Quarterback cravin/go hard, crazy/

defensive Wes Craven/the o-line can't save him.

You go hard, he go harder/not fair, Sergeant Slaughter

The Bills bought him/Joe taught him

Combat like contact/that new Nike contract

Ciroque sipper, stocked colder/super star rock n' roller

Endorsement deal, Nike now/Buffalo wipe me down

See I'm rushing, that goal to blitz/show the pinky ring, let him know I'm rich

-------------------------------------------------------------

Considering I'm following this lyrical genius please accept my apologies in advance. It's hard enough to follow in its original form but I think he meant to say rap this:

Punchless Maybin. Cash-money cravin/talk big, stupid/

defensive fair maiden/tooth fairy can't save him.

You go hard, he goes more limp/not fair, he's just a wimp

The Bills bought him/Joe could've fought him

Combat he's avoiding/needs to start 'roiding

Budweiser tapper, lame ass rapper/wasted pick..it goes down the crapper

Endorsement deals, none now/B-lo can I please stick around?

See I'm rushing, that goal to blitz/but the highlights show it....I stink like s$$t.