Nick Barnett is a Bill!

Dan III

I wanted the Bills to sign Poz as well, even though I didn't think he was a great player, just a good one and we needed more good players on the defense. I think he is better than most Bills fans give him credit for. For someone who has watched a lot of Poz and a good deal of Nick Barnett, I would say Barnett is a far superior player all around. He makes tackles closer to the LOS, he's faster, he covers more area, he's much better on coverage, he's a better blitzer, he's nastier, running backs seem to go straight down quicker when he tackles them, and he's a better leader, IMO.

Poz is younger, and that is a big advantage. Barnett played with a better line in front of him, and on a better team, which allowed him to excel whereas it hurt Poz's game. But when Barnett and Poz are both healthy, Barnett, to me, is a far superior player. He may not be able to play at the level he did two years ago when he was one of the very best LBs in the game, but he's only 30 and only played four games last year (out with a wrist injury, not a leg or knee or anything), but he should be able to play at an extremely high level.

In my mind, we got Barnett for three years and Brad Smith for four years for approximately the same money as Poz got. I would take that deal over Poz in a second.

Damn you and your !@#$ing reasoned responses!

Appreciate your POV dog...

Forget Poz. If you want to compare Barnett to anyone, compare him to Reggie Torbor, our MLB as of this morning. Thank God they landed Barnett...

:lol: that's a really good point too

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Be careful putting too much stock into that site. Some of the stuff I have seen on that site is laughable. Example: Kyle Williams is the #3 overall player in the NFL and Corey Webster is the #1 ranked corner in football. They do all of these wierd, crazy, play by play statistics to come up with their opinions of who is rated where. I love the Barnett signing, but the only thing Nick Barnett ever did better than Ray Lewis was stay away from a murder scene.

Profootballfocus had barnett rated above Ray Lewis in 2009 in his transition year to a 3-4

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2011/07/26/free-agency-2011-landing-spots-for-nick-barnett/

I would have rather kept Poz at this point in both of their careers... BUT... since we didn't... This guy is a great pickup and will hopefully be solid for us for a couple years while we groom young players who will also hopefully be solid. :)

That being said... its likely our D still sucks, unless we start getting some QB pressure and some run stops.

Meh. Not impressed with this signing one bit. His best year are behind him.

Welcome Kawika Mitchell Version 2.0

Lol. There's the troll, trolling around. Mitchell was never good. Barnett was a pro bowler. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler for us, but he's much better than the current group we have. Who would you be happy with?

With barnett locked up what about going out and getting lofa since seattle will be dumping him. Having those two in the middle would help the front 7....and if marriman can ever return to normal i think that is a great start to rebuilding that front.

Lol. There's the troll, trolling around. Mitchell was never good. Barnett was a pro bowler. I don't think he'll be a pro bowler for us, but he's much better than the current group we have. Who would you be happy with?

Trolling? Not trolling, just telling it how it is. As of right now, There's not much out there. There wasn't an ILB worth picking up in free agency IMO. I don't have to like EVERY single move that they do like you guys. I'm a tough critic and we always make terrible offseason moves, which is why we're always at the bottom of the barrel in our division. I loved our draft this year which i have already said but other than that. We've done nothing to improve ourselves.

Really liking how Nix has been fairly aggressive this offseason...if we would have gotten Clabo, we would likely be in the top 3 or 4 most improved teams this offseason with the positions we have upgraded. As it is, we are probably in the top 10...

Yeah, Clabo would have me even more pumped than I already am! If we got Clabo, what else would we really need to go out and get THIS year, really? I know a lot of folks are clamoring for a TE, but Gailey almost seems to say we don't want a real one. Beyond that, we've got a young core all around to develop. Crowder would be OK in my book, but not likely to happen. Same with Gaither. Though I like Fitz, long term QB will be addressed, but down the road. And Wanny's impact can't be forgotten on D. Overall, feeling pretty good about this team!

I really love the signing Barnett brings the veteran presence that the LBs will need. We had alot riding on Shawn's health this will lighten the pressure. I am happy that Sheppard will have a vet to work with. I also wanted Poz to stay but he didn't want to,good riddance to you. Welcome to Buffalo Nick

That Ralph is cheap, Buddy is clueless, and no one ever picks Buffalo. You know, the usual stuff.

The Bills have a history of picking up players who are on the downside of their careers. You can just look at the last couple years and you will find many examples. The Bills will be contenders when they start cutting guys like this because they have too many good players ahead of him. Green Bay would have kept him if they thought he could help them win another Super Bowl.

It is reminds me of Marcus Stroud and Langston Walker when they were picked up.

The Bills have a history of picking up players who are on the downside of their careers. You can just look at the last couple years and you will find many examples. The Bills will be contenders when they start cutting guys like this because they have too many good players ahead of him. Green Bay would have kept him if they thought he could help them win another Super Bowl.

It is reminds me of Marcus Stroud and Langston Walker when they were picked up.

Yup. Exactly my thoughts. You guys can cheer this signing, but it's another typical Bills free agent signing. Pointless.

The difference now is a front line. The LBs wont be asked to do it all, which they are not capable of doing. Plus Wannstedt always gets the most out of a defense. You can say what you want about Nick Barnett, but this defense is vastly improved from last year. Coach Wannstedt will not come in, and put his defensive reputation on the line and coach a poor defense. It simply wont happen.

Just wait and see. Barnett will amount to nothing in Buffalo just like Mitchell.

But yay. Go Bills.

The difference now is a front line. The LBs wont be asked to do it all, which they are not capable of doing. Plus Wannstedt always gets the most out of a defense. You can say what you want about Nick Barnett, but this defense is vastly improved from last year. Coach Wannstedt will not come in, and put his defensive reputation on the line and coach a poor defense. It simply wont happen.

I'll believe it when I see it. Our OLBs better be able to create pressure around the edges. I know we'll get some pressure up the middle but when it comes to edge rushing and run defense, I'm still skeptical.

Well obviously everything will depend if we are going to be able to gel in time for the season, and stay healthy. Any team with injuries is going to struggle so hopefully we dont get hit with that bug. (Of course except the Patriots because their freakin backups are pro bowlers). I really hope that Merriman can stay healthy, because that is huge. With Wannstedt coaching this group he may even see something in Maybin and get that loser on the field doing something. Moats and Merriman should definitely be able to provide pressure with our front 3 doing their job properly. Hopefully one of the two big boys pan out at the nose tackle.

I'll believe it when I see it. Our OLBs better be able to create pressure around the edges. I know we'll get some pressure up the middle but when it comes to edge rushing and run defense, I'm still skeptical.

Edited by coseybedaman