Moats starts practice at ILB

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize that the Jets went farther in the playoffs recently, but NE has consistently had the best AFC East regular season record during the Brady era. I don't need to remind anybody here how NE has owned us. So if I'm Nix/Gailey, I'm gonna set my roster to give me the best chance to beat NE. NE is a pass-first team.

IIRC, Moats and Batten are both from small schools, and were drafted one round apart. While Moats did display some pass rush ability last year at OLB, he often lost containment on outside running plays (just like Kelsay). Our run defense was so porous last year that teams never had to throw against us much - - do we really know if Moats can cover anybody? When he wasn't pass rushing, I thought Moats looked slow.

Moats looked far better at OLB late in the season than he did at ILB early, but maybe that's just because as a player from a small college, the pro game finally slowed down for him later in the season. There must have been some reason why the Bills initially projected Moats at ILB when he was drafted, even though he played poorly there in pre-season last year.

While Batten got hurt early last year, maybe the coaches saw enough of him to decide that Batten had higher overall upside at OLB when you evaluate more than just pass rush ability.

With Dareus on board and Troup/Carrington expected to contribute more in their second year, maybe the run D will improve enough so that we can stop the desperate shuffling of personnel and schemes to stop the run, and focus instead on shutting down the NE passing offense.

Seems to me like our coaches didn't have much to do during the lockout except scheme for the upcoming season. If they're any good, you would think they spent some time trying to figure out how to create the best match-ups against our better division rivals.

Maybe Moats will be the new Keith Ellison jack-of-all-trades reserve LB, and Batten will be better at OLB than we think.

I'm trying to find a silver lining in our LB situation. Let's hope that teams have to test our pass defense this year to move the chains!

buddy's words per BB.com

“The three young guys (we’ve got) are our two drafted guys, Chris White, (Kelvin) Sheppard and we’re working Moats in there right now,” said Nix. ”I wouldn’t want to take snaps away from them. I think they progress along with our team. We’re pretty young anyway and we’ll kind of move forward. We know they have the ability it’s just a matter of getting them up to speed.”

Moats began his rookie year at inside linebacker in the spring workouts before moving outside come training camp where he had a decent rookie season. Now Moats is back inside and Nix indicated that wouldn’t be changing unless he really struggled.

“We’ll give him some work in there and see how he’s doing,” Nix said. ”If we were to move him, it’d probably be to move him permanently to the outside.”

Obviously this is a numbers game. They want their best players on the fieldan d with Merriman/Kelsay set at OLB, they think Moats can probably unseat Torbor inside. If he can't, he goes back to riding hte pine until Merriman gets hurt again on the outside. In addition, I dont get what Batten isn't working at ILB. I'd rather see him there and Coleman/Moats at OLB.

because Batten is an outside guy too, Rather keep moats on the outside but with a year under his belt he has a better grasp of what is going on.

OLB- Merriman

ILB- Sheppard

ILB- Moats

OLB- Batten

Moats needs to be at OLB....Period! The pass rush we got last year (if you call that a pass rush) came from Moats. Year two is where the biggest strides are made. Why start from scratch at a position he clearly could not play because he tried that last year.

Actually, Kyle Williams had more sacks than Moats.

Moats showed flashes last year of being a rusher, but he also looked terrible at coverage. His body is more fit to be an inside backer, and his pass rushing ability is not based solely on speed, but also instinct, which could also translate to the inside. This is just speculation, but I think that as soon as Shep signs, and IF they sign a Crowder type ILB, then Moats will go back to being a OLB for good. Nix already hinted at that. They are also planning on playing several defenses. Torbor (who is average at best) plays both inside and out, so does Battan, and now Moats.

There is also the case that whether people like it or not, Kelsay is going to start on one side, and Merriman on the other. The Bills think Merriman is going to be a force, and he's not coming off the field much. Kelsay will man the other LB spot. Moats wasn't likely to play the other LB spot opposite of Merriman very much, if ever. We're not going to be rushing 5 guys and having no OLB in coverage, especially with the crappy coverage ILB we have.

Moats needs to be at OLB....Period! The pass rush we got last year (if you call that a pass rush) came from Moats. Year two is where the biggest strides are made. Why start from scratch at a position he clearly could not play because he tried that last year.

ILB can Rush the Passer too.

Panicking about drill formation at practice?

Sometimes to run the drill, you need guys that have run it before.

exactly, we're talking about the first week of practices when you are just getting guys acclimated to drills, and also need guys who know a little about the defense. it could also be that they are getting Moats work there now, so he learns more of the defense in case injuries force him to change positions.

doesnt sound like he'll be starting or even staying there...

At inside linebacker, the Bills currently have veterans Andra Davis and Reggie Torbor as starters. Third-round draft pick Kelvin Sheppard is sure to start soon, but whether he will be ready to start the first month of the season is debatable. Sixth-round pick Chris White is one backup inside. The Bills will open camp with Arthur Moats, an outside man last year, working inside.

"Those young guys will come in there and compete and learn as much as they can as fast as they can," Gailey said. "We'll see where that takes us. But both those guys (Davis and Torbor) have played in games and played as winners before, so there's no need to push a panic button. We've got solid players there that can help us win, great leaders. I think we're fine there."

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/bills-nfl/article506190.ece