Moats starts practice at ILB

Per Buddy Nix.....Torbor is Poz's replacement.

what an absolute joke - spend some money already ya cheapskates.....i can't believe they sell tickets year after non-playoff year shelling this crap

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Disclaimer: Chan Gailey has forgotten more about the game of pro football than I'll ever know.

That being said, keeping Moats at ILB is asinine. A solid pass rush comes at a premium in this league, and when you find someone who is adept at it, you don't mess with it. Moats is not Lawrence Taylor, but he's effective...

And hell, I keep forgetting Kelsay is even on the team. The starting group on day one should be Merriman - Davis - Sheppard - Moats. The backups at ILB should be White and Torbor.

It's stories like these that sap all of my optimism. Moats is an edge rusher. That was patently obvious last year. He is not an ILB. Us fans could see that plain as day, so why couldn't the coaches? Kelsay is very bad at playing linebacker. Moats should be starting ahead of him.

i hear ya boss - it is remarkable and astonishing that the fans know more then the coaches in this instances, but far from surprsing after the last 10 years of foolishness.........the problem is ralph - he is the common demoninator

It's stories like these that sap all of my optimism. Moats is an edge rusher. That was patently obvious last year. He is not an ILB. Us fans could see that plain as day, so why couldn't the coaches? Kelsay is very bad at playing linebacker. Moats should be starting ahead of him.

Moats' biggest issue last year was playing the run. Not surprising considering he was a college FCS DE.

Like the guys potential, but moving guys back and forth is not the best way to develop your younger players. Especially those having to learn a new defense in the pros.

Moats' biggest issue last year was playing the run. Not surprising considering he was a college FCS DE.

Like the guys potential, but moving guys back and forth is not the best way to develop your younger players. Especially those having to learn a new defense in the pros.

and this is why the bills suck, year after year

find someoen who is good at something and try to change them

they just don't know talent - how to identify it, how to foster it, how to SIGN it to long-term deals.........complete joke

moats likes to rush the passer, he is an OLB - it ain't that COMPLICATED!!!!

i hear ya boss - it is remarkable and astonishing that the fans know more then the coaches in this instances, but far from surprsing after the last 10 years of foolishness.........the problem is ralph - he is the common demoninator

Yeah...I'm sure you know more about LBs than Dave Wannstedt. Three days into free agency, just starting camp, no preseason games played...do you honestly think this roster and all of the positions are set in stone?! I know this franchise has sucked for years but this staff has barely had a chance to cut it's teeth and some of you act like we've already gone 0-16. For cripes sakes, take a deep breath and back away from the ledge... <_<

I hope the Bills go after Manny Lawson - he and I know it's shocking to Bills fans is a LB who can actually cover TEs and RBs- Merriman, Shepard, Moats, Lawson would give the Bills the best Team Speed and Size we have had at LB in a long time.

I'd love Lawson as well, but id prefer to sign tulloch or Barnett to play inside and keep moats outside with merriman. the thought of Lawson covering rbs and TEs is a nice one though. He would be a great fit, especially if they move moats inside (although I don't think its a good move for moats and his skill set, baffling).

Moats isn't that good of a pass rusher. Just in case any of you forgot. Sacking Favre after he held onto the ball for 3 minutes doesn't make you a good pass rusher.

I could be mistaken....But I could have sworn that was Joe Thomas (Top OT in the Game) he blew by when he stripped Delhome. Maybin couldnt strip a flat head screw with a phillip head screwdriver. With that being said....outside Merriman, Moats is the best pass rusher we have :beer:

Per Buffalo Rumblings "A year ago, after the Buffalo Bills made James Madison defensive end Arthur Moats a sixth-round pick, they moved him to inside linebacker during training camp. Moats looked horrific during the pre-season, was moved back to outside linebacker during the regular season, and by year's end was clearly the team's most promising pass rusher.

Flash forward to this afternoon at St. John Fisher college. Mark Ludwiczak of CBSSports.com confirms that Chan Gailey and Buffalo's coaching staff are set to move Moats back to inside linebacker.

This is one that I can't really wrap my mind around, folks. Perhaps the team is filling the pinch at inside linebacker, where they are admittedly woefully thin from a numbers standpoint at the moment. From that angle, I suppose it makes sense that they're using Moats as an extra body at the position until they can find more reinforcements.

Here's the thing, though: there are a bunch of other young linebackers they can use in that capacity, and unless the Bills are willing to put all of their eggs in Shawne Merriman's basket - apparently, they are - Moats is going to be a highly important player to this team as a pass rusher. He needs every snap he can get outside. From that far more important angle, I don't get this decision - even if it's short-lived." :wallbash:

I DONT LIKE THIS AT ALL!

A sixth round draft pick looked horrific during his first preseason at a position he has never played before......get out

I'm sure were all just overreacting to this in the wake of being short an ILB or 2. I'm sure Chan has Moats inside because were short ATM and wants some of the other talent to get so e work in. Moats might have sucked at ILB last year but he is familiar with it, unlike some of the other LBs we have. Personally I think if we kept the same squad I'd have Moats and Merriman at OLB and Shephard and Batten at ILB. Hell, I'd rather have Kelsey in at ILB than an OLB only because I already know that he sucks at OLB so why nit try him somewhere else. I'd love to get Crowder or Barnett. Let's hope Merriman and Nix can pull this thing off.

At the end of the day I still think this will be the starting LB squad on day 1 of the regular season and that's only if were running a 3/4.

OLB- Merriman

OLB- Moats

ILB- Shephard

ILB- Torbor/Crowder/Barnett/????

If we run a 4/3 I think it will be:

OLB- Merriman

OLB- Batten

ILB- Shephard

With Moats playing DE on obvious passing downs. If not you will see the line look like this:

DE-Dareus

DT-Williams

DT-Troupe

DE- Carrington

I'm sure were all just overreacting to this in the wake of being short an ILB or 2. I'm sure Chan has Moats inside because were short ATM and wants some of the other talent to get so e work in. Moats might have sucked at ILB last year but he is familiar with it, unlike some of the other LBs we have. Personally I think if we kept the same squad I'd have Moats and Merriman at OLB and Shephard and Batten at ILB. Hell, I'd rather have Kelsey in at ILB than an OLB only because I already know that he sucks at OLB so why nit try him somewhere else. I'd love to get Crowder or Barnett. Let's hope Merriman and Nix can pull this thing off.

At the end of the day I still think this will be the starting LB squad on day 1 of the regular season and that's only if were running a 3/4.

OLB- Merriman

OLB- Moats

ILB- Shephard

ILB- Torbor/Crowder/Barnett/????

If we run a 4/3 I think it will be:

OLB- Merriman

OLB- Batten

ILB- Shephard

With Moats playing DE on obvious passing downs. If not you will see the line look like this:

DE-Dareus

DT-Williams

DT-Troupe

DE- Carrington

I agree with that Line up...But I would Swap Andre Davis with Torbor in 3-4 and also with Batten in 4-3(only because we havnt seen him yet

Yeah...I'm sure you know more about LBs than Dave Wannstedt. Three days into free agency, just starting camp, no preseason games played...do you honestly think this roster and all of the positions are set in stone?! I know this franchise has sucked for years but this staff has barely had a chance to cut it's teeth and some of you act like we've already gone 0-16. For cripes sakes, take a deep breath and back away from the ledge... <_<

If this were any other franchise I'd agree with you, but this is the Bills. Generally speaking, the preseason "chicken littles" have been correct for more than a decade. It's amazing to me that fellow fans can still denigrate others for having a pessimistic outlook.