Your opinion going after Free Agent positions of need

Would like to get opinions on this. I have my own thoughts but hey I am sure you do to.

I saw a earlier post about if you could pick one between Tyson Clabo and Harris LB from the jets which player do you take.

I was actually suprised to see all the Harris comments. No doubt he is a awesome player but which are is weaker on OUR team. My thinking is a Poz/Clabo offseason improves this team much more then Harris/whoever they decide to start at RT.

The object of the game is to drastically improve the team....imo you go after the top veterans that are at a position of weakness and keep your serviceble guys you already have under contract.

Thoughts?

Since it's just our opinion, I say BPA. Our deceivingly strong pass defense isn't believed to be an area of concern. But if the Raider Cornerback (not gonna try to spell that name -can't even say it) pays us a visit, throw Marine Midland & HSBC at him.

JMO.

If we had a RT worth a damn we'd be a lot better. I agree with your thought process, John. Get the scrubs outta here first, before replacing the decent ones.

I hope they are aggressive in going after a RT first...but I sure as hell won't hold my breath.

I could give a damn about a TE anyway. Chan likes to go 4 wide.

Edited by cantankerous

I think Nix and Gailey are old school football men. It's my understanding that it is pretty commonly agreed that you build a team from the lines outward. Now, people might say, "But Nix hasn't really addressed the O-line."

To that, I say, if he had to assess the offense and defense when he came in, our defense was not at all prepared for the 3-4, and our O-line had wood, levitre, and hangartner. So, Nix strengthened the D-line his first draft, and then strengthened our wideout position, as well as RB. This year he pretty much had to take Dareus with that pick - and it was a very good pick, because now we have one of the best D-lines going forward for the next 3-5 years. But, it is time to fix that O-line now. The right tackle added - whether it is a very good LT or a very good RT, and we look to have our lines pretty set to compete with anyone going forward. So, for me, fix the O-line, and then we can put the final pieces together next year. I think we have some very interesting linebackers on our roster already in Moats, Batten, Coleman, White, Sheppard - and we might not need another ILB so much, at least as compared to RT or TE, even.

Since it's just our opinion, I say BPA. Our deceivingly strong pass defense isn't believed to be an area of concern. But if the Raider Cornerback (not gonna try to spell that name -can't even say it) pays us a visit, throw Marine Midland & HSBC at him.

JMO.

I strongly disagree. This would be a continuation of using the majority of our resources (cash and draft picks) on the secondary (and of course running backs. We just drafted a corner in the early second round.

At some point enough is clearly enough, especially when the results of the above are losses and more losses.

I am hoping for Boss and an OT. They would make us a stronger, better team from day 1.

Jmo

I strongly disagree. This would be a continuation of using the majority of our resources (cash and draft picks) on the secondary (and of course running backs. We just drafted a corner in the early second round.

At some point enough is clearly enough, especially when the results of the above are losses and more losses.

I am hoping for Boss and an OT. They would make us a stronger, better team from day 1.

Jmo

Fair enough, Bill. I certainly wouldn't argue with an OT. As for TE, we haven't had a decent one since Ernie Warlick so I wouldn't even know what to expect from a Bills offense with a great one. (IMO, Metz & McKeller were the beneficiaries of Lofton, Reed & Thomas) But 'whatizname' is the Deion Sanders of modern day -a true shutdowner. Every opponents best WR suddenly disappears! Imagine what that would do for our team. Now the opponents suffer through a slew of 3 & outs, giving our offense many more opportunites with the ball. The 2 big reasons for losses and more losses are whiffing on DB picks and letting good ones go.

I have no reason to be concerned Buddy & Chan won't help the team in FA.

Fair enough, Bill. I certainly wouldn't argue with an OT. As for TE, we haven't had a decent one since Ernie Warlick so I wouldn't even know what to expect from a Bills offense with a great one. (IMO, Metz & McKeller were the beneficiaries of Lofton, Reed & Thomas) But 'whatizname' is the Deion Sanders of modern day -a true shutdowner. Every opponents best WR suddenly disappears! Imagine what that would do for our team. Now the opponents suffer through a slew of 3 & outs, giving our offense many more opportunites with the ball. The 2 big reasons for losses and more losses are whiffing on DB picks and letting good ones go.

I do understand what you are saying. It's just that much of the fan burn out is due to the hangover effect of Levy/Jauron chasing secondary and rbs. The results speak for themselves.

It appears that the defense will be a stronger, better unit this year. When the offense does the same this team will compete. Free agency 2011 would be a great place to start this process, and the 2012 draft could be the last piece of making this a team that has the size, strength, and talent to compete in our division.

It's possible.

I do understand what you are saying. It's just that much of the fan burn out is due to the hangover effect of Levy/Jauron chasing secondary and rbs. The results speak for themselves.

It appears that the defense will be a stronger, better unit this year. When the offense does the same this team will compete. Free agency 2011 would be a great place to start this process, and the 2012 draft could be the last piece of making this a team that has the size, strength, and talent to compete in our division.

It's possible.

I agree.

You know, Nix might think that he's going to build this team through the draft. In that case, given our weaknesses and the rate of player movement, we might still be 2 years away from serious contention. But, if he has an open mind to HOW we go about this rebuild, then it is apparent there will need to be some major player aquisition these next three weeks to get to the floor of the cap, at the least - and, I think our Bills will go beyond the floor if they're after someone special. Anyway, we could spend this money very wisely and be that much closer to our goal, or we can act as if this free agency business is not our business at all - Nix's strength and ultimate success as our GM will probably hinge on how he handles that issue, because I think most of us already approve of how he's drafted and sculpted the turn around thus far of this team via 2 drafts.

An Ernie Warlick reference! Yes!

I shall now consume a hamburger in his honor.

GO BILLS!!!

Would like to get opinions on this. I have my own thoughts but hey I am sure you do to.

I saw a earlier post about if you could pick one between Tyson Clabo and Harris LB from the jets which player do you take.

I was actually suprised to see all the Harris comments. No doubt he is a awesome player but which are is weaker on OUR team. My thinking is a Poz/Clabo offseason improves this team much more then Harris/whoever they decide to start at RT.

The object of the game is to drastically improve the team....imo you go after the top veterans that are at a position of weakness and keep your serviceble guys you already have under contract.

Thoughts?

Sing Poz...get two tackles. If anything is left we should look at linebackers and tight ends.

Thoughts?

Of course it will depend on whether the Bills resign Poz and Florence, but in my opinion Offensive Line, tight end, linebacker and obviously at least one QB, since there is no backup on the roster (except Fitz, but he is all we have).

Our Free Agents

Drayton Florence - We need this guy badly. Rookies aside we are one injury away from having a real problem in our secondary.

Poz - He is a solid lunch pail player but is no no super star

Donte Whitner - Only difference between Poz and Donte is that Whitner had the misfortune of our old incompetent front office selecting him #8 overall and that for some reason people love Poz who is a solid player and hate Donte who is a solid player.

Outside Free Agents

Tyson Clabo - We need a right tackle badly. People have talked about him playing RT but I'm not so sure this is a good idea now since he is listed as a guard. If Woods takes over the center position, the position he played in college and was drafted as, we need a solid guard to replace him.

LT & RT - Personally I am tired of waiting for someone to step up at these positions. We have been trying to get by on the cheap by hoping that large quantities of undrafted free agents, late round picks and practice squad cast offs from other franchises will equal 2 good starters. So far...not SO good. I would love to get rid of all of the fodder we have and get two guys we know can do the job consistently and very well.

We need to run the damn ball on the strength of our line not the cut back ability and improvisational skills of our RBs.

It's kind of the cart before the horse to say what positions without talking about the players. If we could sign a Zach Miller or Kevin Boss then I think TE is the most important. If we could get Clabo or Gaither or that caliber then I am all about RT. I don't want positions filled with also rans (although some of them are inevitable because we don't have enough players signed).

Back-up QB is a very important position but none of the guys available right now are any good so I wouldn't put it on top of my list. If we don't sign Poz, immediately ILB is the biggest position of need on this team, but I expect Poz to sign. Obviously, if Florence goes, we need another CB but again "the player" will matter more than the position. If we can sign a better player at a lesser position of need, you take the better player.

It's kind of the cart before the horse to say what positions without talking about the players. If we could sign a Zach Miller or Kevin Boss then I think TE is the most important. If we could get Clabo or Gaither or that caliber then I am all about RT. I don't want positions filled with also rans (although some of them are inevitable because we don't have enough players signed).

I wouldn't really consider Gaither a high caliber player. There's a reason he was talked of in trade rumors last offseason, and he didn't play last year due to injury.