New rock bands?

Dan III

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was waiting for the Astrojanitor to chime in with his response and I am glad he did. I see we share a lot of similar current bands. Another band that I really enjoy is the Starvations and I have to agree that the Gothic Country of The Heartless Bastards is some of the most depressing stuff I have ever heard. It is what country should sound like!

I'm a big fan of Nightwish. Female vocals too. :thumbsup:

I'm also a huge fan of Shadow Gallery -- especially the album Tyranny and Room V.

http://www.shadowgal..._id=1&Itemid=76

Here's a song from Room V (ignore the video, has nothing to do with the song):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I37J_3Qa71E

And then there's always Dream Theater, especially Scenes from a Memory.

Not new bands, but new music that came out this year...

For me, this is the summer of

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (their best)

and

Social Distortion - Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes (not their best, but still great)

Can't stop playing those 2, just don't have time for anything else. :D

they are touring together...tickets for philly go on sale this week...i think a group of us are going...not much into social d(only because i haven't taken the time)...love the foo fighters

Not new bands, but new music that came out this year...

For me, this is the summer of

Foo Fighters - Wasting Light (their best)

and

Social Distortion - Hard Times and Nursery Rhymes (not their best, but still great)

Can't stop playing those 2, just don't have time for anything else. :D

nice call on cage the elephant...also, while not new...I am enjoying the new death cab for cutie album...wasn't a huge fan before this. Also based on their one song...Fitz and the Tantrums is also a good listen

http://youtu.be/bb6cBKE3WzQ

Not so new, but Bands like Franz Ferdinand, Cage The Elephant and Foster the People are ones I've been listenign to lately. Cage is really good.

they are touring together...tickets for philly go on sale this week...i think a group of us are going...not much into social d(only because i haven't taken the time)...love the foo fighters

That is a great line-up, I will have to check it out. Always best to see bands touring behind a hot album.

$54, not bad at all. I'll see if I can get GA floor, gotta be upfront for Social D... they put on a tremendous show, never seen the Foos but the setlists this tour look great... let you know if I'm in.

Edited by Rico

they just played a couple shows up here in philly and did a free lunchtime concert at World Cafe Live...I have heard some of their songs and like them...they seem to be just on the cusp of breaking out big....

Any of you Austin guys ever catch Okkervil River? They put on a decent show.

they just played a couple shows up here in philly and did a free lunchtime concert at World Cafe Live...I have heard some of their songs and like them...they seem to be just on the cusp of breaking out big....

I've been following them for a few years. Each time they come up to WNY they play a slightly larger venue than the year before and every year more people can sing along so their following is growing for sure, but at this rate they will never really break out.

They're worth checking out if you have the opportunity. Wake and Be Fine off the new album is really catchy, older stuff worth checking out Black, For Real, Westfall and Lady Liberty.

They played in Buffalo last month at the Town Ballroom (good set), for any Rochester people they will be at Water Street on September 24th.

I was waiting for the Astrojanitor to chime in with his response and I am glad he did. I see we share a lot of similar current bands. Another band that I really enjoy is the Starvations and I have to agree that the Gothic Country of The Heartless Bastards is some of the most depressing stuff I have ever heard. It is what country should sound like!

Starvations are amazing! The only drag is their LPs can be a beast to find. If you're into their vibe I'd also suggest Spider Bags...same kind of thing but replace that uber Australian Nick Cave-y jingle jangle with a more Americana bent.

Went to the record store today and got an LP by a band called White Denim. Highly recommended.

Haven't seen it here so I thought I'd add:

Fitz and the Tantrums (throwback Rock/MoTown sound)

And not necessarily new but Chuck Ragan (formerly of Hot Water Music) has some great solo stuff (if you're into solid acoustic). Just caught him and Paul Hause play a show.

anybody know much about the "thrift store cowboys" form lubbock? there playing a free show locally and performing live on the local public radio affiliate this weekend. the tidbits i've heard sound good. classified as alt country/rock i think.

Edited by birdog1960