A tragedy @ The Ballpark in Arlington

despite this terrible accident....i also found it a pretty funny comment...that doesn't diminish how sad i feel about the entire situation.

Well I thought it was amusing, Pete.

So..you know...that should tell you something right there... :unsure:

and last night josh hamilton hits a foul ball into a fan's melon and it requires stitches??? I really hope Hamilton can keep his demons at bay...he has made an admirable recovery...I hope this doesn't derail it

At the 1st Baseball game ever played, Abner Doubleday was in Left Field. He picked up an "out-of-bounds" ball & handed it to a spectator standing along the boundry -modern day 3rd base line. (No one is alive today from that event so I'm stickin' to my story) Ever since, folks have been coming to the games with their mitts, tryin' for that elusive souvenier. Can't take it out of the game. MAKE THE STADIUMS SAFER!

I read this is the second death for similar circumstance @ this Park in 11 months. By my count, that's a trend. I re-iterate, Make the stadiums SAFER!

As I wrote, why is there a ~6-foot gap with a 20-foot drop to concrete right there along the outfield wall? Why is there just a waist-high rail? In a spot where fans gather not infrequently to shag a home run, with much bumping, twisting, near-mosh-pitting? There's certainly every chance for someone to get non-maliciously pushed in a fracas and lose their balance with the same result.

I understand that at a certain point, fans are responsible for their own behavior, and take risks at their own peril. Architects can make plans for rails that go shoulder-high but if fans climb on them, what's the use? And at that point, then I'd agree that those fans were wholly responsible for their injury. But this wasn't that. Places need to be designed with forethought of what's going to happen there. A waist-high rail simply isn't enough, and the gap there should've had something (a net, even, wouldn't prevented this) at the top.

Edited by UConn James

As I wrote, why is there a ~6-foot gap with a 20-foot drop to concrete right there along the outfield wall? Why is there just a waist-high rail? In a spot where fans gather not infrequently to shag a home run, with much bumping, twisting, near-mosh-pitting? There's certainly every chance for someone to get non-maliciously pushed in a fracas and lose their balance with the same result.

I understand that at a certain point, fans are responsible for their own behavior, and take risks at their own peril. Architects can make plans for rails that go shoulder-high but if fans climb on them, what's the use? And at that point, then I'd agree that those fans were wholly responsible for their injury. But this wasn't that. Places need to be designed with forethought of what's going to happen there? A waist-high rail simply isn't enough, and the gap there should've had something (a net, even, wouldn't prevented this) at the top.

There will be changes at ball parks.

Idiot Nearly Falls From the Stands Chasing a Ball at the Home Run Derby

Just days after Shannon Stone died from a fall while reaching for a baseball at a Texas Rangers game, a fan at last night’s Home Run Derby nearly fell out of the outfield stands while lunging for a home run ball hit by Prince Fielder. He was spared serious injury or death only because his friends grabbed him by his feet, held him and then pulled him back as he dangled over the railing above a concrete deck 20 feet below.

Wow. Just... wow.

As I wrote upthread, while there needs to be ballpark improvements wrt rails in areas where fans congregate en masse and there's pushing and lunging, this is exactly the kind of guy that can't be protected by them. When you make a better ballpark, nature will just make a better idiot.

Wow. Just... wow.

As I wrote upthread, while there needs to be ballpark improvements wrt rails in areas where fans congregate en masse and there's pushing and lunging, this is exactly the kind of guy that can't be protected by them. When you make a better ballpark, nature will just make a better idiot.

stupid friggin moron

Wow. Just... wow.

His name is Keith Carmickle, and common sense is not his forte.

[...]

Despite his idiocy, he (a) escaped this dangerous situation of his own making unscathed; and (b) was allowed to stay at the Derby by security. Both of these factors have been added to the “evidence that there is no God and/or that He is not just and fair” side of the big ledger I keep on my desk and in which I tally the wonder and folly of Humanity as I encounter it.

:lol:

Rangers to raise railings after fan death

The Texas Rangers plan to make all the protective railings at their stadium the same height, raising some as much as a foot to make their stadium safer following the death of a fan during a recent game.

Rangers executive vice president Rob Matwick said Tuesday that the team's intention is for all rails in the front of seating sections to be 42 inches throughout Rangers Ballpark.