3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper

4. Frank Zappa - We're Only In It for the Money

5. The Beach Boys - Today

6. The Velvet Underground - 1st album

7. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

8. Love - Forever Changes

9. The Monks - Black Monk Time

10. 13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

Not bad. I would choose Freak Out by Zappa over WOIIFTM. No Dylan? Good call with Velvet Underground and Captain Beefheart. My list off the top of my head-

Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica

Astral Weeks-Van Morrison

Velvet Underground-Nico

Dylan-Blonde on Blonde

Are You Experienced-Jimi

Kick Out the Jams- MC5

Nick Drake- 5 Leaves

Zeppelin II

Dylan-Highway 61

and a tie between obvious choices-The Doors, Sgt Peppers, Pet Sounds

Are you experienced or axis bold as love..either one works for me.

agreed. Any or all- but Jimi must be on that list!

any list of top 60s albums without the Rolling Stones' "Let it Bleed," is bogus.

and let's not forget the seminal, ground-breaking and angry: "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison."

j (music snob) w.

Let it Bleed I strongly considered. Folsom is definitely a landmark album. What would be your other 8? I know I am missing some obvious ones.

And Miles, Monk, Coltrane were putting out some legendary albums. These lists are always so hard to compile- it is tough to limit to 10- or a 100 for that matter

Edited by Pete

agreed. Any or all- but Jimi must be on that list!

Let it Bleed I strongly considered. Folsom is definitely a landmark album. What would be your other 8? I know I am missing some obvious ones.

And Miles, Monk, Coltrane were putting out some legendary albums. These lists are always so hard to compile- it is tough to limit to 10- or a 100 for that matter

i dunno, you're generally on the right track with Zepplin II and Beach Boys. i'd take The Doors out of the last-place tie, because as we move on in years, they become less and less relevant in my opinion (the Ollie Stone movie just about sealed that: ugh!)

the Beatles have to be there as well as the Velvet Underground, only because the NYC scene must be represented.

the list requires a balance of music that can still be echoed today (which is why The Doors are essentially out in my book, unless, of course you're a tea party fan ... double-ugh, and they're from my hometown. embarrassing.)

but you're right it's tough. "Let it Bleed" and "Folsom" would be on my list, though.

jw

Gotta start with the 2 Dylan's:

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Then the 3 Stones:

Aftermath

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Then the 5 Beatles:

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's LHCB

White Album

Abbey Road

Oops, that's 10 there, no room for anyone else.:(

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Then the 3 Stones:

Aftermath

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Then the 5 Beatles:

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's LHCB

White Album

Abbey Road

I liked Revolver too!!

Any album of the Four Seasons.

Highway 61 Revisited

Blonde On Blonde

Then the 3 Stones:

Aftermath

Beggars Banquet

Let It Bleed

Then the 5 Beatles:

Rubber Soul

Revolver

Sgt. Pepper's LHCB

White Album

Abbey Road

how about your top 25 Rico?

Weren't the Shaggs daughters of the record producer and none of them could actually sing a lick?

Record producers daughters? No. They grew up about 30 miles from where I am.

The Shaggs wiki

The story of the Shaggs on Broadway. Judging from the trailer they "tweaked" the Shaggs' music a little. The real stuff ain't exactly music theater material.

PTR

i thought i was pretty knowledgeable when it came to music, but I can honestly say, The Shaggs as a band do not ring a bell at all...i suppose I have heard a song of theirs, but for a band that is being considered a major contributor for a musical decade, I feel somewhat embarrased...

Record producers daughters? No. They grew up about 30 miles from where I am.

The Shaggs wiki

The story of the Shaggs on Broadway. Judging from the trailer they "tweaked" the Shaggs' music a little. The real stuff ain't exactly music theater material.

PTR

how about your top 25 Rico?

I could add a lot more more Dylan, Stones, & Beatles but I won't.:lol:

I will still stand by my top 10 though.

Let's see on my Ipod.. today's 11 thru 25 are.

JB at the Apollo

Dusty In Memphis

Are You Experienced

Axis:Bold As Love

Electric Ladyland

Face To Face

Village Green P.S.

LZ

LZ II

Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

Otis Live in Europe

Astral Weeks

Who Sell Out

Tommy

Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

I would also find a spot for 1969 Velvet Underground Live, but that didn't come out until mid-70's.

Not really in any particular order...

1. The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World

2. The Beach Boys - Smile (bootlegs)

3. The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper

4. Frank Zappa - We're Only In It for the Money

5. The Beach Boys - Today

6. The Velvet Underground - 1st album

7. Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica

8. Love - Forever Changes

9. The Monks - Black Monk Time

10. 13th Floor Elevators - Easter Everywhere

the only thing I am not 100% on is Zappa and both Beach Boys. I'd add Beach Boys Pet Sounds or Party and something by the Hollies, Godz, Gene Clark, Byrds, Millennium or Del Shannon. Maybe Rubber Soul instead of Sgt Pepper.

BUT Forever Changes, Trout Mask, Monks, Shaggs and Elevators? Spot. On.

I'll add my top ten...in no particular order:

Godz: 2

Beatles: Rubber Soul

Del Shannon: Home and Away

Beach Boys: Party!

Love: Forever Changes

Paul Revere and the Raiders: Revolution

Velvet Underground: ...and Nico

Captain Beefheart: Trout Mask Replica

Gene Clark: With The Gosdin Brothers

Zombies: Odyssey and Oracle

Wow, this is a tough one...I couldn't cull it down to 10...so I didn't repeat any artists (sorry to the Stones "Beggar's Banquet", Beatles "Revolver", Dylan's "Higway '61") and I still couldn't weed it down to just 10...lots of good choices by you all (props for the 13th Floor Elevators and Gene Clark/Gosdin picks! And am I the only person alive who HATES the Beach Boys!)

Part of the reason, IMO, it is so hard to choose from the 60's, half the decade (maybe a little more) was chalked with some of the greatest singles of all time...and then there was a move toward whole albums...I kind of grew up on 45's, so I am very partial to things like the Ronettes, and lots of country stuff from that time...but often, those pop albums consisted of 5 great A-side singles, and then 7 tracks of filler...had to leave of Donovan, because his best album was a greatest hits..."Season of the Witch" and "Sunshine Superman" are kick ass singles, but his albums, on the whole, are pretty lightweight...

Here goes my "top 10" or so:

Beatles "Rubber Soul"

The Byrds "Sweethearts of the Rodeo

Ray Charles and Betty Carter

Leonard Cohen "Songs Of Leonard Cohen"

Sam Cooke "Night Beat"

Dr John "Gris-Gris"

Bob Dylan "Bringing It All Back Home"

Fred Neal "Fred Neal" (re-issued as "Everybody's Talkin'")

Rodriguez "Cold Fact"

Rolling Stones "Let It Bleed"

The Ronettes "Presenting the Fabulous..."

Velvet Underground featuring Nico (is there any album as influential?)

They had a album? All I remember of them is "Becks Bolaro".

Yes, there was "Truth", and "Beckola"... "Truth" came out in 1968...great album...Stewart and Wood left to join the Small Faces, hijacking them from Steve Marriot, turning them into the Faces...would highly recommend "Truth". "Beckola" is good too, but not as good.

Stand out track: "Morning Dew"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zb6WRqZRG-E&playnext=1&list=PLF9F70DA46D1B40E1

Yes, there was "Truth", and "Beckola"... "Truth" came out in 1968...great album...Stewart and Wood left to join the Small Faces, hijacking them from Steve Marriot, turning them into the Faces...would highly recommend "Truth". "Beckola" is good too, but not as good.

Stand out track: "Morning Dew"

youtube.com/watch?v=zb6WRqZRG-E&playnext=1&list=PLF9F70DA46D1B40E1

Honestly I don't like Stewart-the phase "lounge lizard" always comes to mind- it's like he was always a Vegas act in the making.

Honestly I don't like Stewart-the phase "lounge lizard" always comes to mind- it's like he was always a Vegas act in the making.

I can think of few people in music who have betrayed their talent as much as Rod Stewart. I must say, though, I love the Faces stuff, as well as his solo albums (essentially Faces albums) up through about 1976. I think he sounds great on the Beck stuff. Listen to that (youtube) track I posted, and just forget it is him...its' a great song...great performance. Ironically, I think he and Beck were made for each-other. I think they are both technically, very talented, but creativity, and artistry seems to evade them, at times. Beck has done some hideous stuff over the years...but I really liked that "Live at Ronnie Scott's" record he put out a couple of years ago. Rod hasn't done anything good in about 30 years...

About a year ago, Ian McLagen came into the record shop I work at. He lives here in town. I was asking him about the rumored Faces reunion. He said, "yes we are going to do it...in some form or another...Ronnie and Kenny are up for it...I am up for it...not sure about Rod though. He said he still has nearly a century of music to murder" It was pretty funny...he was referencing those "Songbook" things Stewart has been doing the last 7 or 8 years...it is amazing how many people buy that **** up. So, anyways, the Faces reunion has happened, they are playing Europe this summer, with Mick Hucknell (from Simply Red) playing the part of Rod Stewart. Stewart has an "open invitation" to join them any time he wants...they got sick of waiting for him. It seems ludicrous for Hucknell to be singing with them, but the reviews I have read said he sounds great with them.

Weren't the Shaggs daughters of the record producer and none of them could actually sing a lick?

The Shaggs

My Pal Foot Foot

I'm not sure that their Father was a record producer..but he played a very big role in their career.

He was almost like a Murry Wilson (Beach Boy's Father) in that he was a tyrant who forced the band to play, but also had some good intentions

Not bad. I would choose Freak Out by Zappa over WOIIFTM. No Dylan? Good call with Velvet Underground and Captain Beefheart. My list off the top of my head-

Captain Beefheart-Trout Mask Replica

Astral Weeks-Van Morrison

Velvet Underground-Nico

Dylan-Blonde on Blonde

Are You Experienced-Jimi

Kick Out the Jams- MC5

Nick Drake- 5 Leaves

Zeppelin II

Dylan-Highway 61

and a tie between obvious choices-The Doors, Sgt Peppers, Pet Sounds

Yeah, leaving off Dyan was tough. I'm actually a Dylan freak believe it or not, but just enjoy the 10 records I listed better than they stuff he did in the 60's.

Here's my list for Dylan:

1. Blood on the Tracks

2. Highway

3. Blonde on Blonde

4. John Wesley Harding

5. Another Side

6. Desire

7. Bringing it all Back Home

8. Planet Waves

9. the other folk albums

10. everything else prior to the 80's work

any list of top 60s albums without the Rolling Stones' "Let it Bleed," is bogus.

and let's not forget the seminal, ground-breaking and angry: "Johnny Cash at Folsom Prison."

j (music snob) w.

Of course "Let it Bleed" is a classic...but IMO it's not as good as: Begger's, Sticky, Aftermath, and especially Exile (70's yes, but in my mind the best album of all time)

i thought i was pretty knowledgeable when it came to music, but I can honestly say, The Shaggs as a band do not ring a bell at all...i suppose I have heard a song of theirs, but for a band that is being considered a major contributor for a musical decade, I feel somewhat embarrased...

The Shaggs are the best kept secret in music. (Jonathan Richman being the other).

Some people would say that they can't play their instruments...and in some ways that's correct...but they actually play very exact - every note is planned and has meaning - and it's like they learned in almost complete isolation from the rest of the western world.

The reason I love their music so much is because it's the most pure form of Rock n' Roll honest passion that I have yet heard.

Song's like "Who Are Parents" just can't be duplicated in my mind.

Give 'em a shot, but be prepared for it to take several listens before "getting it". They are about as challenging as "Trout Mask Replica".

BTW...Zappa said that they were better than the Beatles!

Of course "Let it Bleed" is a classic...but IMO it's not as good as: Begger's, Sticky, Aftermath, and especially Exile (70's yes, but in my mind the best album of all time)

Exile on Main Street ranks on my list as well as one of the best albums of all time. it has influenced essentially everything good and pure and dirty in music that has followed it right up to this day. but, it's a 70s album and this is a 60s list.

however, Let it Bleed was a wonderful precursor, and featured "Country Honk," which has always had a soft spot in my heart.

Sticky Fingers was also a 70s album, which i found to be good, but inconsistent.

jw

jw

Don't feel bad. The Shaggs fame is entirely based on how obscure they were...and their total lack of musical ability. I doubt they received any real airplay anywhere ever.

PTR

Don't feel bad. The Shaggs fame is entirely based on how obscure they were...and their total lack of musical ability. I doubt they received any real airplay anywhere ever.

PTR

I just listened to The Shaggs' most famous "song", My Pal Foot Foot. Somehow I got all the way through. The damn thing was an affront to my ears, and to claim that the "music" was somehow valuable to the rock narrative is insulting to those of us who actually take time to learn our instruments.

And to the poster above who enjoys the music and finds it evocative...more power to you. I realize that musical taste is subjective. But when you attempt a Top 10 list, that implies a certain level of objectivity. Teenage girls who don't know how to play musical instruments or write songs can't top any list. I'm sorry.

Edited by SageAgainstTheMachine

I just listened to The Shaggs' most famous "song", My Pal Foot Foot. Somehow I got all the way through. The damn thing was an affront to my ears, and to claim that the "music" was somehow valuable to the rock narrative is insulting to those of us who actually take time to learn our instruments.

And to the poster above who enjoys the music and finds it evocative...more power to you. I realize that musical taste is subjective. But when you attempt a Top 10 list, that implies a certain level of objectivity. Teenage girls who don't know how to play musical instruments or write songs can't top any list. I'm sorry.

I think the "value" of the Shaggs is they are an example of rock-n-roll made without any influence, or talent. Kind of like finding a tribe in the Amazon and making them play rock without ever letting them hear any. Putting the Shaggs on that list is either a big joke or some critic trying to go over everyone's heads.

PTR

This list begins and ends at Led Zeppelin II.

Anything else, and you have an agenda.

:lol:

IMO, it's certainly Top 10 '60's.

My agenda: Sgt. Pepper & Abbey Road rewrote the 'how-to's'. Pepper for studio, muti-track; Road for integrating a full album side.

I think the "value" of the Shaggs is they are an example of rock-n-roll made without any influence, or talent. Kind of like finding a tribe in the Amazon and making them play rock without ever letting them hear any. Putting the Shaggs on that list is either a big joke or some critic trying to go over everyone's heads.

PTR

I assure you it's no joke.

I love "My Pal Foot Foot" (superficially about a cat named "Foot Foot" who has ran away), but it's probably not the best song to start with them, even while it's the most popular.

It's probably the most outwardly "childish" of their songs, but still has the classic velvet undergroundish slang to it.

They are so challenging because you need to let go of any previous influence you have in Rock music and just accept them.

Then, strong patterns start to arise, both in their lyrics and musicianship. And they sing about deep feelings that are weaved throughout their very linear playing.

They were the one of the first bands to be so "honest"(not caring about what other think) that it's not a surprise that they are sometimes lumped in with the "proto-punks".

But I know it's not for everyone

Rodriguez "Cold Fact"

Who?

Never heard of this, but I'm downloading from Usenet now. :D

That was pretty good, I will save it. Reminds me of Syd in spots, a little of Cohen, obviously a little of Dylan, yet still pretty unique. Definitely a relic of the 60's, nothing wrong with that though.

My fav was Only Good For Conversations, catchy refrain:

"but you're the coldest B word I know" :thumbsup::lol:

Edited by Rico

I can think of few people in music who have betrayed their talent as much as Rod Stewart. I must say, though, I love the Faces stuff, as well as his solo albums (essentially Faces albums) up through about 1976. I think he sounds great on the Beck stuff. Listen to that (youtube) track I posted, and just forget it is him...its' a great song...great performance. Ironically, I think he and Beck were made for each-other. I think they are both technically, very talented, but creativity, and artistry seems to evade them, at times. Beck has done some hideous stuff over the years...but I really liked that "Live at Ronnie Scott's" record he put out a couple of years ago. Rod hasn't done anything good in about 30 years...

About a year ago, Ian McLagen came into the record shop I work at. He lives here in town. I was asking him about the rumored Faces reunion. He said, "yes we are going to do it...in some form or another...Ronnie and Kenny are up for it...I am up for it...not sure about Rod though. He said he still has nearly a century of music to murder" It was pretty funny...he was referencing those "Songbook" things Stewart has been doing the last 7 or 8 years...it is amazing how many people buy that **** up. So, anyways, the Faces reunion has happened, they are playing Europe this summer, with Mick Hucknell (from Simply Red) playing the part of Rod Stewart. Stewart has an "open invitation" to join them any time he wants...they got sick of waiting for him. It seems ludicrous for Hucknell to be singing with them, but the reviews I have read said he sounds great with them.

Damn you for mentioning Rod Steward and faces!! I knew they had a song I loved but it took me all day to think of it

Edited by Jim in Anchorage

Who?

Never heard of this, but I'm downloading from Usenet now. :D

That was pretty good, I will save it. Reminds me of Syd in spots, a little of Cohen, obviously a little of Dylan, yet still pretty unique. Definitely a relic of the 60's, nothing wrong with that though.

My fav was Only Good For Conversations, catchy refrain:

"but you're the coldest B word I know" :thumbsup::lol:

As I mentioned earlier, I always loved Donovan's singles ("Sunshine Superman", "Season Of the Witch", etc) but his albums blow...Rodriguez kind of reminds me of him, but with much better songs...one cool thing about the modern age of music, there are so many lost gems like this album that are being unearthed...glad you liked it.

Years from now, long after we're gone, future music snobs will look through our history to find out what kind of music we listened to, looking to get some sense of us. What kind of people were we? What was our day-to-day like? What was the greatest music during our lifetime?

And when they look, they're going to find the number one hit single of 1969: Sugar, Sugar by The Archies. :P