Doubting Credibility but: NFL Lockout Almost Over

JoeF

http://www.eagletribune.com/latestnews/x2088983289/SOURCE-NFL-lockout-is-over

Looks like the reports from a blogger last year that said Cowher was going to accept the Bills job.

The Eagle-Trib is a Boston-area daily paper. (Lawrence MA/So.NH) Bill Burt is a regular guest on WEEI, so I think he would not report something unless there was substance to it.

PTR

What is awesome is the comments in Burt's article all unanimously call this guy a fool.

I almost wish the lockout would end tomorrow just so he can have an article that says "Suck it Haters! I told you so."

The Eagle-Trib is a Boston-area daily paper. (Lawrence MA/So.NH) Bill Burt is a regular guest on WEEI, so I think he would not report something unless there was substance to it.

PTR

Thanks PTR. Good stuff--maybe a little hope. Has he broken Pats or NFL news in the past?

:worthy: of course you were. I thought you were going to link the guy in the Peter Pan outfit...

I sure hope Burt is right, if nothing else just to point out the type of reporting Florio does. His quote "Actually, the headline says it’s “almost over.”  The body of the article, written by Bill Burt, says that the lockout is indeed over." just isn't true. Did I read the article wrong? Seems like a lot of the comments agree...

You know, I take it back, I hope he's right so we can get some Buffalo Bills Football ON!

PTR

Everyone knows the super tight editing and fact checking that goes on in "Boston-area daily" papers---like the Boston Herald, for instance.

I just hope these Not so Secret "Top Secret" meetings are actually accomplishing something. It is getting close, maybe 3-4 weeks away from actually affecting the NFL season in one way or another, not to mention cancelling camp at St. John Fisher which is the highlight of my summer, driving up from Virginia.

If you trying to be a legit reporter sticking your neck out like this and being wrong is not a good thing for your rep. The Eagle-Trib is not some weekly shopping rag, its a daily with a sizable circulation. I'll bet Burt has a "meeting" with his editors today.

PTR

If you trying to be a legit reporter sticking your neck out like this and being wrong is not a good thing for your rep. The Eagle-Trib is not some weekly shopping rag, its a daily with a sizable circulation. I'll bet Burt has a "meeting" with his editors today.

PTR

Ill bet he doesnt. He likely has a source. He only siad they have reached a tentative agreement but clearly states the deal isnt final and the lockout isnt over.

They just had a scroll on the bottom of ESPN where it said Smith/Goodell were seen having dinner together last night & their mood looked pretty festive. I would be surprised if there is not an agreement in place by father's day. Just too much money involved to not meet some sort of compromise. If they wait for the courts(I think the next court date is August 29th, half the season will be lost.

Ill bet he doesnt. He likely has a source. He only siad they have reached a tentative agreement but clearly states the deal isnt final and the lockout isnt over.

Of course he is going to have a meeting with his editors over this. They are probably going to want to know his source and see if he could get another source before the rest of the media crucify them a 2nd time around. With all of the "sources" people in the media have, this guy has the only source that has leaked this info out? Sounds fishy. Not impossible, but the editors are defenently going to want to know more about this source.

Usuaully, one source is pretty naughty in journalism. 2 is the bare minimum, and 3 is a whole lot more pretty.

Imo, if the lockout were ending soon (next couple weeks) then there would be a lot more leaks out there.

Of course he is going to have a meeting with his editors over this. They are probably going to want to know his source and see if he could get another source before the rest of the media crucify them a 2nd time around. With all of the "sources" people in the media have, this guy has the only source that has leaked this info out? Sounds fishy. Not impossible, but the editors are defenently going to want to know more about this source.

Usuaully, one source is pretty naughty in journalism. 2 is the bare minimum, and 3 is a whole lot more pretty.

Imo, if the lockout were ending soon (next couple weeks) then there would be a lot more leaks out there.

you say that because you are assuming they didnt know about this story before it printed.

Do you really think there was a rogue writer at a daily who snuck this story past everyone?

PTR

You don't think this went through an editor before being published the first time?