Six teams turn down Hard Knocks. Who's next?

While I am not saying I want the Bills to volunteer to do "Hard Knocks", I think people who are viewing it as "too big a distarction" are kind of overstating it. As crazy as it sounds, and as much as I loathe the Jets, one thing I kind of admire about them, Fat Mouth Ryan just arrived in New York, and just kept insisting his team was better than it was...the "Hard Knocks" thing kind of raised the bar for them, and, I think, they kind of overacieved because of it.

I think "Hard Knocks: Buffalo Bills" wouldn't be the worst thing for the franchise. This team is still trying to build an identity. There is more character, and more characters on this team, why not let the team devolpe a personality? Sometimes, guys get a litte pressure, they rise to the occaision. I honestly think, while the Bills are headed in the right direction, they are still, realistically, a few seasons from being a serious contender for the division.

Part of Ralphs' job, at least under the old NFL agreement, is to maximize the amount of dollars his team throws into the legue pot...this might help a little...give a few players a higher profile, and sell a few more of those new jerseys.

Honetly, I would be very excited if the Bills were to appear. And, I dobn't think it would hurt their progress one bit...might even help.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I am not saying I want the Bills to volunteer to do "Hard Knocks", I think people who are viewing it as "too big a distarction" are kind of overstating it. As crazy as it sounds, and as much as I loathe the Jets, one thing I kind of admire about them, Fat Mouth Ryan just arrived in New York, and just kept insisting his team was better than it was...the "Hard Knocks" thing kind of raised the bar for them, and, I think, they kind of overacieved because of it.

I think "Hard Knocks: Buffalo Bills" wouldn't be the worst thing for the franchise. This team is still trying to build an identity. There is more character, and more characters on this team, why not let the team devolpe a personality? Sometimes, guys get a litte pressure, they rise to the occaision. I honestly think, while the Bills are headed in the right direction, they are still, realistically, a few seasons from being a serious contender for the division.

Part of Ralphs' job, at least under the old NFL agreement, is to maximize the amount of dollars his team throws into the legue pot...this might help a little...give a few players a higher profile, and sell a few more of those new jerseys.

Honetly, I would be very excited if the Bills were to appear. And, I dobn't think it would hurt their progress one bit...might even help.

:thumbsup:

Have you ever had a camera crew film you when you were working? I have and it made me work harder because you knew that everyone was going to see you work. You never know who will be watching.

If Buffalo has the chance then they should do it. It's a win win situation.

If there is some $$$ to stuff in Ralphie's wallet, he won't let Nix say no. Besides, maybe if they accepted, someone outside of Bills fans would remember this team exists, maybe they could use the attention?

You DO realize this is a business he is running, right?!?! Geez! The object of a business is to turn a profit. As cheap as tickets are in Buff, I wouldn't blame him for taking the money.

You DO realize this is a business he is running, right?!?! Geez! The object of a business is to turn a profit. As cheap as tickets are in Buff, I wouldn't blame him for taking the money.

The sole purpose of Ralphs existence is to appease the fans that mock him on a daily basis.

How does being on Hard Knocks promote a loser attitude? The fans get a look into how the team is being run, I cannot see how this is a negative.

If Nix and Gailey are doing such a "great" job, then why wouldn't they want to show it off? Besides, you are correct, this team has won for the most part somewhere between 2-7 games for a decade and a half now, how do you get any worse of a "loser attitude"?

You DO realize that most or all successful owners of major league teams try to find a balance between making a profit and spending enough to be competitive, right? I am guessing you didn't know that by reading your post. Are you in his will or something?

This. They need to keep their focus on getting better on the field and not on saying things for the show.

How is it a distraction?

How does it not help the players focus and work harder?

I just don't understand this sentiment.

i agree, i think any pub for the bills is good. nationally, we are irrelevant, as we all know, but just yesterday i was talking to a guy that works out at my gym here in philly. the guy , a native from philly , could not have been more gracious regarding his comments about the bills, after he found out i was from buffalo. he went on and on about how he and his dad loved watching the bills during the early 80's with fergy and company. he loves watching games from the ralph, seeing the passionate fans, the weather etc. he made my day. this guy was glad they were changing back to the white helmets and was unhappy about them playing a game in toronto. the guy knew his stuff and i think alot of us on here suffer needlessly when we hear some shot taken at the bills or buffalo from some national blowhard. in spite of so many miscues made over the years by the mgmt(lead by wilson), knowledgeable fans appreciate the franchise's proud legacy. the team should embrace any opportunity it can to recapture its place in football relevancy, despite, what i am sure will be howls of laughter nationally, if the bills did do hard knocks.

Edited by dwight in philly

I heard that the Bills were offered the chance to appear on the HBO special but our GM would only agree if the title was changed to "Hard Nix" and the show was centered around Buddy's side venture, an herbal male enhancement pill called "Babymaker." HBO has yet to respond.

I hope you didn't put a lot of time into that.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: No ... a thousand times no!! The Bills need to work on continuing the development of the team and not worry about where a camera might be.

All this show does is encourage distraction with no positive benefits.

I am not at all surprised that everyone is turning it down ... they should go visit a high school team ...

Would love to see the Bills on Hard Knocks, but I highly doubt Ralph would agree to this unless he has major veto power on what makes the cutting room floor. Can't imagine he wants everyone to see behind the curtains of his losing organization.

I think, despite their "good ol' boy, we are just football guys" personas, both Nix and Gailey love the camera, or, at least the microphone. Both guys have very charistmatic personalities, despite the lack of respect they get from the national sports guys, and even many of us. I love listening to Gailey speak...even if he is feeding us BS, he does it so convincingly, and is so blunt. I think, with the way this stuff goes over with younger guys, nowadays, "Hard Knocks" would give Gailey and Nix a chance to really put their stamp on this team...while I never considered this seriously, the more I think about it, the more I like the idea...I think it would be good for this young team.

Now, realizing it isn't likely to happen for the Bills, I can see the Redskins being the featured team (I don't think they have declined yet), and, that would be exactly the kind of team a "Hard Knocks" appearence would be damaging to.

Edited by Buftex

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: No ... a thousand times no!! The Bills need to work on continuing the development of the team and not worry about where a camera might be.

All this show does is encourage distraction with no positive benefits.

I am not at all surprised that everyone is turning it down ... they should go visit a high school team ...

I doubt you ever watched a full season.

What damage has it done the past 6 seasons?

Edited by Why So Serious?

That's weak that they offered it to the Jets again before a team that hasn't already been on there. That's my favorite show ever and I would be pissed if I had to watch the Jets again.

That was my first reaction...wtf is that all about?