Six teams turn down Hard Knocks. Who's next?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is why I would do it.

http://blogs.baltimoreravens.com/2011/05/31/late-for-work-531-jets-did-hard-knocks-per-newsomes-advice/

Jets Did ‘Hard Knocks’ Per Newsome’s Advice

For the six teams that have turned down HBO’s offer to be featured on the television series “Hard Knocks” (and for those who will receive an invitation), here’s an interesting point from Ravens General Manager Ozzie Newsome and Jets General Manager Mike Tannenbaum:

The television show made their teams better.

In fact, Tannenbaum said he never would have considered HBO’s offer if it weren’t for Newsome’s advice.

“I was probably the last person on board to do it and I called Ozzie Newsome, the general manager of the Baltimore Ravens, who I respect immensely, and he said just from a football standpoint he felt like they got better practices because the cameras were around,” Tannenbaum said during an interview with ESPN 101 in St. Louis via The Star-Ledger. “Everybody was giving their ‘A Game,’ every day and our decision was we thought we had a great story to tell.”

With that in mind, maybe ProFootballTalk.com’s Mike Florio was onto something when he wrote an elite team needs to step up and volunteer to be on the show.

“The chronic inability of NFL Films to line up a willing participant soon will rise to the level of embarrassment,” wrote Florio. “Out of respect for everything that NFL Films has done for the sport over the past five decades, one of the truly elite teams, a team that NFL Films wouldn’t even dare to ask, needs to stand up and welcome the assignment.

“Whether it’s the Steelers, Patriots, Giants, or Packers, a franchise of that stature needs to take one for the good of NFL Films, and for the good of the game.”

It will if the season is shortened by 12 games.

If that was the case we would be lucky to win one game.

1)That's a bit much. No, we aren't media darlings and no, we aren't headline material. But nearly all football fans are cognizant of the Bills existence.

2) True. They would be #32 on the list or at least close to it. Funny thing is, HBO is so solid in its production of just about everything that they would probably make the Bills come out looking good with many new fans rooting for the underdog.

I don't think new fans are what the Bills need, they need new ownership, players, coaches and front office personnel. Having spent over 20 years in the military and the past 18 years in Virginia, there are Bills fans everywhere, and lots of them, but other than those people, like the previous poster said, they don't care about the Bills, probably think the quality of the organization is minor league (so do most Bills fans), and probably wouldn't watch the Bills play unless it was against their favorite team.

• 2 weeks later...

Good move by the Panthers...don't think this can really hurt them at all.

Can't hurt to have more cameras around now with Cam in the building. Equipment custodian will have an easier job anyway.

Can't hurt to have more cameras around now with Cam in the building.

For real - you know that kid is going to be mugging to the camera, rather than concentrating on hi j-o-b. Panthers = dooooooooooomed....