Atlanta Thrashers

Cynical

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the day Thrashers fans have feared for weeks, if not months.

All 4 of them must be sad.

The real problem with hockey in the south is that most rednecks are too stupid to learn how to follow the play, or at the bare minimum, follow the puck.

Edited by Ramius

Atlanta's troubles stem from inept management, and an unwillingness (or inability) to pay for and keep thier top talent = fan apathy. No one wants to go see a loser in a city with so much going on like Atlanta...

Super bummed out about this. Not because I care about the Thrashers, but because they were a nice, cheap vehicle to seeing other teams play. Specifically, THE SABRES!! :cry:

We used to get a pretty good group together for the Sabres games every year. Even had Lindy, Darcy, and Jeanerret up at our Bills bar for a meet and greet last year. Good for Winnipeg, I guess they deserve a team, I just seflishly wish it had been Phoenix...

Atlanta's troubles stem from inept management, and an unwillingness (or inability) to pay for and keep thier top talent = fan apathy. No one wants to go see a loser in a city with so much going on like Atlanta...

The real problems are that hockey isn't very popular in the US (about to be passed by MLS, if you can believe it) and Atlanta has a lot of transplants who would otherwise follow other teams.

The real problems are that hockey isn't very popular in the US (about to be passed by MLS, if you can believe it) and Atlanta has a lot of transplants who would otherwise follow other teams.

Thats it exactly.

The biggest crowds that would show up at Thrashers games were fans cheering for the other team. I will say that there were some pretty good, home grown Thrashers fans, but they were definitely the minority. And it was very frustrating for them when a northern team would come through and the locals would be vastly out-numbered in the arena.

Thats it exactly.

The biggest crowds that would show up at Thrashers games were fans cheering for the other team. I will say that there were some pretty good, home grown Thrashers fans, but they were definitely the minority. And it was very frustrating for them when a northern team would come through and the locals would be vastly out-numbered in the arena.

It used to be that way for the Buc's, Rays and Lightning. Winning changed that.

It used to be that way for the Buc's, Rays and Lightning. Winning changed that.

Oh for sure, the Thrashers did not help themselves with only 1 playoff appearance in their entire history (and they were swept in the 1st round).

There was also a lot of mixed feelings about the way they tried to market the team this year. Bringing in 4-5 black players and using that as a selling point... http://atlanta.sbnation.com/atlanta-thrashers/2011/5/27/2188719/atlanta-thrashers-move-roster-players

Oh for sure, the Thrashers did not help themselves with only 1 playoff appearance in their entire history (and they were swept in the 1st round).

There was also a lot of mixed feelings about the way they tried to market the team this year. Bringing in 4-5 black players and using that as a selling point... http://atlanta.sbnat...-roster-players

Thats the first I've heard of that. Thats just so !@#$ed up. Jeebus Crist!!! :rolleyes:

Pretty much.

Atlanta's 2 NHL teams never once won a playoff series EVER. This latest incarnation never won a playoff game, getting swept in their only kick at the can.

Don Waddell was the GM from day 1, and though he did finally give up that title (but still was club president) his poor decision making was not surmountable in a single year.

The Flames never drew less than 12k/game until their last year (building only held slightly over 15k) when the writing was on the wall (and they still drew over 10k). This team had good crowds the 1st few years, but it had a cluster for ownership and Waddell overseeing personnel. There was no way for THAT to be overcome and ultimately, THIS team never had a chance.

Thats the first I've heard of that. Thats just so !@#$ed up. Jeebus Crist!!! :rolleyes:

I noticed it while flipping through the program at the first Thrashers game we went to this season. Mentioned it to my friends and it became "a joke" that the Thrashers were doing it on purpose in order to market the team. Then it turned out that was exactly what they were doing, and the whole city just face-palmed. :oops:

The best hockey in Atlanta isn't being played at Philips Arena...it's at Gwinnett Arena. The Gwinnett Gladiators are where it's at! They just signed a new lease, so they aren't going anywhere...

The best hockey in Atlanta isn't being played at Philips Arena...it's at Gwinnett Arena. The Gwinnett Gladiators are where it's at! They just signed a new lease, so they aren't going anywhere...

Well, technically, as of ~1-1/2 hours ago there isn't ANY hockey being played at Philips Arena. So, I think your gladiators win by default.

See Sabres, Buffalo, 2003.

If Golisano didn't show up, it would have been the Winnipeg/Hamilton Sabres.

Well, technically, as of ~1-1/2 hours ago there isn't ANY hockey being played at Philips Arena. So, I think your gladiators win by default.

Well, let me say it this way then: The Gladiators at the Gwinnett Arena really bring me back to the days I used to go to Amerks games at the Rochester War Memorial in the 80s.

See Sabres, Buffalo, 2003.

If Golisano didn't show up, it would have been the Winnipeg/Hamilton Sabres.

Maybe, however Buffalo is not ATL. Atl has alot more money than Buffalo. How many fortune five hundred companies are there.

Maybe, however Buffalo is not ATL. Atl has alot more money than Buffalo. How many fortune five hundred companies are there.

Good point.

The largest employer in Western NY is State, local and federal Gov workers. Go Buffalo!!

Last one out turn out the lights! 0:)

Edited by erynthered