Did Schobel's indecision effect the Bills in 2010?

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/19/2179542/did-schobels-indecision-effect-the-bills-in-2010

"If the Nix and Gailey knew that Schobel wasn’t going to play prior to the start of free agency and the draft, they could have addressed his loss during that time period. Instead, the Bills went with what they had on the roster and also picked up OLB Shawne Merriman, who only lasted 15 minutes on the practice field. The Bills shuffled the OLB position from Chris Ellis, Chris Kelsay, Aaron Maybin, Arthur Moats and Antonio Coleman."

This is very true. IMO, Schobel shackled the Bills by his indecision and the team couldn't properly address his position that late into training camp. While I don't blame Schobel for not wanting to play, considering how bad the Bills were during his time on the team, but him and Brad Butler should have told Nix & Gailey early in the year that they didn't want to play, that way Nix & Gailey could have addressed those positions either in FA or the draft.

The Bills had some bad retirements last year - imagine an offensive line of Bell-Levitre-Hangartener-Wood-Butler and an LB corps of Kelsay-Poz-Davis-Schobel. That could be worth at least two extra wins.

I agree, good points!

http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/5/19/2179542/did-schobels-indecision-effect-the-bills-in-2010

"If the Nix and Gailey knew that Schobel wasn’t going to play prior to the start of free agency and the draft, they could have addressed his loss during that time period. Instead, the Bills went with what they had on the roster and also picked up OLB Shawne Merriman, who only lasted 15 minutes on the practice field. The Bills shuffled the OLB position from Chris Ellis, Chris Kelsay, Aaron Maybin, Arthur Moats and Antonio Coleman."

This is very true. IMO, Schobel shackled the Bills by his indecision and the team couldn't properly address his position that late into training camp. While I don't blame Schobel for not wanting to play, considering how bad the Bills were during his time on the team, but him and Brad Butler should have told Nix & Gailey early in the year that they didn't want to play, that way Nix & Gailey could have addressed those positions either in FA or the draft.

They drafted Moats. Nix said he would rather sleep through free agency.

The Bills had some bad retirements last year - imagine an offensive line of Bell-Levitre-Hangartener-Wood-Butler and an LB corps of Kelsay-Poz-Davis-Schobel. That could be worth at least two extra wins.

:blink:

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

I agree with this 100%

That's not what he said.

And I think that Butler retiring hurt the team more last year than Schobel doing what he did. Had Schobel stayed I think he would have been about as effective at OLB as Chris Kelsay. The team wasnt missing anything without him around. And if you think having Schobel would have helped, then we would have won maybe 1 more game in a throw away year... and have been out of the running for Dareus.

I's say at least 5 more wins, which would have been the games that were lost by 5 points or less. RT was a black hole for the Bills and Schobel would have provided a much-needed pass rush.

Edited by Doc

A bit unfair. Because of the labor situation and 2010 being the final year of the existing CBA, all FAs who had fewer than 6 years of tenure in the NFL were no longer unrestricted. Thus, there were very few options in the market at any position last year. The Bills actually signed one of the top UFAs in Dwan Edwards.

I's say at least 5 more wins, which would have been the games that were lost by 5 points or less. RT was a black hole for the Bills and Schobel would have provided a much-needed pass rush.

At least 5 wins?? No way doc! From a somewhat better pass rush? Maybe teams would have run on us more--200+ a game.

Edited by Mr. WEO

At least 5 wins?? No way doc! From a somewhat better pass rush? Maybe teams would have run on us more--200+ a game.

First off, I said better pass rush AND a better RT, doc. Second of all, Schobel was a decent run stopper.

Schobel would have been huge. He was the pass rush for the last few years and when he was out opposing QBs could sit back in the pocket, have a sandwich and a smoke, and then toss the ball to whatever receiver got open in the ten minutes the DBs had to cover them, just like they did for most of last year.

All things being equal, it's probably best that he didn't play and let the team really assess what they need moving forward because he wasn't in the long term plans.

It's worth mentioning because a lot of people around here who had some optimism going into last year (i.e. me) got quiet when it became clear he would not return.

Aaron's days were numbered and his play was slowing down quickly as a defensive end. Do you really think he would have been a stud OLB when he was beginning to struggle at his natural position? He was a good player in his prime but I don't think he would have helped us very much at all...

Butler hurt us a lot more by quitting, IMO...

Aaron's days were numbered and his play was slowing down quickly as a defensive end. Do you really think he would have been a stud OLB when he was beginning to struggle at his natural position? He was a good player in his prime but I don't think he would have helped us very much at all...

As a DE, he was going-up against guys who were 60-70# heavier than him. Moving to OLB would have helped with the wear-and-tear at least.

Butler hurt us a lot more by quitting, IMO...

They were both big losses. But they had more time to replace Butler since he announced his decision before FA and the draft.