NFL: a privilege or a right?

47 members have voted

1. 1. Is playing in the NFL a privilege or a right

Neither. It's a job. One we may be jealous of, but a job none the less. It pays well but you work your butt off to do it and risk huge injuries in return for that pay. No job is a right. They are responsibilities, and if you find one you enjoy that is a privilege.Asking a board full of guys that would likely kill for the chance will likely skew your results. My guess is plenty of people, including some players, would rather not participate.

Edited by NoSaint

There's nothing in the Constitution that sports leagues must exist. If it's not profitable/profitable enough for the owners, they should have the right to suspend operations and the players can find alternate employment.

Exactly!!!

I think the players led by the Brady, et al crew to move as quickly as they can to set up what I call the NewFL and develop alternative employment without the current NFL team owners being a middle-man who only adds cost to the game.

Replacement owners is by far the best way to go if the NFL refuses to produce a product.

Neither. It's a job. One we may be jealous of, but a job none the less. It pays well but you work your butt off to do it and risk huge injuries in return for that pay. No job is a right. They are responsibilities, and if you find one you enjoy that is a privilege.Asking a board full of guys that would likely kill for the chance will likely skew your results. My guess is plenty of people, including some players, would rather not participate.

This and that's really all that needs to be said.

There's nothing in the Constitution that sports leagues must exist. If it's not profitable/profitable enough for the owners, they should have the right to suspend operations and the players can find alternate employment.

If only that were true :lol:

Its somewhere in between. They have a right to pursue a sport that they are elite talent at. BUT its a privilege to make that much money at any profession. Its weird because Rodger Goodell shouldn't have the ability to say Mexicans can't play in the league but there should be a code of conduct that the league should be able to enforce.

Neither. The NFL exists as an agreement between players and team owners.

Being fortunate to do something you love and getting paid for it is a privilige. Being able to go in your backyard and play football is a right.

Edited by bmur66

It's a freaking privilege, just like anything else that is not guaranteed in the constitution as a right. Glad to see the poll results show that readers of this blog are sane. No person has a "right" to work at any particular job. Do I have a "right" to work for the Bills or Penguins just because I would love to. No.

It's a freaking privilege, just like anything else that is not guaranteed in the constitution as a right. Glad to see the poll results show that readers of this blog are sane. No person has a "right" to work at any particular job. Do I have a "right" to work for the Bills or Penguins just because I would love to. No.

The Constitution does "guarantee" US citizens the right for government to at least recognize the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It also sets up a clear system of checks and balances which is based on the understanding that no one person has it completely correct in interpreting what the Constitution means.

It also has a clear and complicated system for changing the Constitution as it recognizes that the original words will simply no longer apply to restrict the powerful from taking over the government and claiming that there is only one true wisdom and they alone understand it.

The Constitution is a great document specifically because it recognizes that its words must change with reality and it sets up a system where those who claim correct knowledge will have their powers checked and balanced.

Odd question. Nobody has the 'right' to expect someone else to pay them to do something that ideally suits their talents.

I was going to say...

I have a hard time thinking of any jobs I have a "right" to simply because I'm a pretty damn good systems analyst.

It doesn't really fit into either category. You do have a right to sell your services on an open market, but nobody has an obligation to buy them. There certainly are lockouts that are illegal - I don't think it's clear whether or not this is one of them. But I'm not sure that makes it a right even if the best arguments are in favor of an injunction. It's by no stretch of the imagination an individual right. Is anything that's not a right a privilege?