Why NFL Owner's Equity Rule Change Will Keep Bills in Buffalo...

I awoke from a dream and realized Ralph has this transition thing all planned out...

"In this world nothing can be said to be certain, except death and taxes." Benjamin Franklin

Create false scarcity to drive demand

By holding the future of the franchise whereabouts in doubt, Ralph is simply driving demand and maximizing his profit. The University of Virginia alum and WWII veteran has us all fooled.

Because of the economics and complexity of ownership in today's market, the NFL has lowered ownership equity from over 50% to 30% nowadays.

some good reads on this topic:

John Clayton - complexity of ownership in today's NFL:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=clayton_john&id=3485962

NFL discusses lowering equity limits for family ownership:

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-03-29/nfl-business-dish-owners-discuss-easing-equity-rule-for-heirs

Tim Graham AFC East owners net worth:

http://espn.go.com/blog/afceast/post/_/id/11599/11599

Conclusion:

Ralph Wilson's estate is worth 1.3 billion of which 900 million is what the franchise is valued at. The estate would be subject to a 35% Estate Tax meaning his heirs collectively would owe 400 million. The Bills are valued at slightly over 900 million, by selling a 49% minority interest of the team upon his death (roughly 450 million) Ralph's heirs can maintain a majority stake in the franchise while Jim Kelly & Co. would control the rest. Best part is Ralph's heirs would cover their estate tax bill by selling the minority stake.

Will Ralph's hot neice Mary Owen and fellow University of Virginia alum will be our next President?...

http://www.bizjournals.com/buffalo/news/2011/01/24/bills-promote-mary-owen-to-vp.html

Tim Graham needs an editor i think. The Bills value is $799 million, down 12%! In other words the Bills franchise value lost $110 million in 1 year. Its the 1st time they lost value in its existence. I don't know what that means though, but it is a lot of value lost. Jacksonville and St Louis only teams to lose more. It's not comon for teams to lose value, 20 teams lost value this past year.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/30/football-valuations-10_Buffalo-Bills_301765.html

Edited by TheTruthHurts

Tim Graham's numbers suggests that if the Cowgirls went on the market today Jerrah would have difficulty taking full ownership with the stadium. I am not saying he could not leverage the situation and make it work but between the team and the stadium there would be somewhere around $1.5B put on the table. That kind of number does have to make you think .... can one person really afford ownership in today's NFL? At some point you have to wonder if the value of franchises will fall.

Conclusion:

Ralph Wilson's estate is worth 1.3 billion of which 900 million is what the franchise is valued at. The estate would be subject to a 35% Estate Tax meaning his heirs collectively would owe 400 million. The Bills are valued at slightly over 900 million, by selling a 49% minority interest of the team upon his death (roughly 450 million) Ralph's heirs can maintain a majority stake in the franchise while Jim Kelly & Co. would control the rest. Best part is Ralph's heirs would cover their estate tax bill by selling the minority stake.

Will Ralph's hot neice Mary Owen and fellow University of Virginia alum will be our next President?...

http://www.bizjourna...owen-to-vp.html

This is a really great plan

Except for the part where no savvy billionaire with half a brain would agree to pay $450 million for less than complete control in any venture, let alone a situation where an inexperienced family member will be running the show.

Edited by spartacus

This is a really great plan

Except for the part where no savvy billionaire with half a brain would agree to pay $450 million for less than complete control in any venture, let alone a situation where an inexperienced family member will be running the show.

Okay, then flip it and sell 51%. What's another 2% when you're dropping that much money. :rolleyes:

I don't know if you're on to Ralph's thinking or not, but it is a straw I'll happily grasp at. Your scenario works for everyone: Ralph's family, Jimbo and Co and the fans of Buffalo. From your mouth to God's ear.

Just curious, what do the investors getting a minority share in the team get for their money? They would be paying hundreds of millions of dollars for someonelse to run the team and make all the important decisions. I don't imagine there are huge stockholder dividends being paid out. Other than tying up lot and lots of capital they could invest elsewhere, what do they get out of it? Has that ever happened in the past with another team? I think Schumer and Hillibrand should propose legislation in the Senate waiving the estate tax on Ralph's estate for so long as the team remains in Buffalo.

I don't think we will ever know what is going to happen with this team when Ralph passes away until he actually does. This is sort of like speculating on our first round pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

Just curious, what do the investors getting a minority share in the team get for their money? They would be paying hundreds of millions of dollars for someonelse to run the team and make all the important decisions. I don't imagine there are huge stockholder dividends being paid out. Other than tying up lot and lots of capital they could invest elsewhere, what do they get out of it? Has that ever happened in the past with another team? I think Schumer and Hillibrand should propose legislation in the Senate waiving the estate tax on Ralph's estate for so long as the team remains in Buffalo.

I don't think we will ever know what is going to happen with this team when Ralph passes away until he actually does. This is sort of like speculating on our first round pick in the 2020 NFL draft.

Not really answering your question but in a closely-related conversation, the only owner I recall who had authority to run a team without owning a majority share is Al Davis.

There were some extenuating circumstances but he was the Managing General Partner for much of his ownership in spite of owning less than half the shares.

It wasn't until 2005 that Davis acquired a majority interest and became Principal Owner.

So if this is "Any Given Sunday" she is Cameron Diaz.

Remember what Cameron Diaz was trying to do?

I guess no one remembers.

When the young woman took over the team, she then tried to move the team to LA.

Conclusion:

Ralph Wilson's estate is worth 1.3 billion of which 900 million is what the franchise is valued at.

I know Forbes values the Bills at 900 mil or so, but that is not what the market has proved they are worth. In 2005 the Vikings were bought for 600 mil IIRC. Just last season, the Rams owner bought the rest of the team (he was a minority owner before) for an adjusted purchase price of 650 mil. Both cities are in better/bigger/richer markets, and either have a better stadium (Rams) or equally bad (Vikings).

Unless the Bills Market and Stadium situation somehow makes them more valuable to a group that wants to move the team (aka the NFL would be more willing to allow it), then I dont see how the Bills could fetch more than 650-700 mil at the absolute most. However, If you offered Kelly and his group part ownership, I think they would be willing to "over pay" to keep the team here. So if they bought 49%, they may be willing to pay more than 318.5 mil - 343 mil.

I also dont know why people always bring up "Ralph isnt leaving the team tohis wife" It doesnt matter, he doesnt have to, by law she is going to get 50% regardless. I also dont buy the statement that his family doesnt want the team - that lady has been working for the team for years, his one daughter was a scout (what a joke BTW). His family has been involved in the past. Even if they had no interested in football, please try to find a better investment than an NFL team, because you cannot. A smart businessman wouldnt sell on that alone.

She is definetely NOT hot.

Is she Ralph's niece by blood-Like his brother or sister's daughter

or is she Ralph's second/younger wifes brother or sister's kid?

I suspect the later because if Ralph had a brother or sister, the "niece" would be in their late 60's or 70's...

So- She is then not family by blood.

She is not from Buffalo-She is from Michigan.

She is spearheading the Toronto movement....

That has gone horribly for Toronto

and makes everyone in Buffalo nervous-The thing is a failure.

I dont think anyone should be excited about this woman and any allegiance to Buffalo.

I seriously doubt she has any say in matters anyways.

She is definetely NOT hot.

Is she Ralph's niece by blood-Like his brother or sister's daughter

or is she Ralph's second/younger wifes brother or sister's kid?

I suspect the later because if Ralph had a brother or sister, the "niece" would be in their late 60's or 70's...

So- She is then not family by blood.

She is not from Buffalo-She is from Michigan.

She is spearheading the Toronto movement....

That has gone horribly for Toronto

and makes everyone in Buffalo nervous-The thing is a failure.

I dont think anyone should be excited about this woman and any allegiance to Buffalo.

I seriously doubt she has any say in matters anyways.

Look at the picture again. See those eyes and nose; She is definitely related by blood. I don't know where the "hot" comes from. She likes like Ralph Wilson -50 years with a wig on.

It can be a Great Uncle, Grand Niece type of deal. It appears she graduated from UVA in 1997 which would make her around 36.

But you're correct I don't know why anyone would assume she has an allegiance to Buffalo.