[please fix subject]

watch this youtube.com/watch?v=1mq86lYjgQ0&feature=related

Hopefully the new uni's will show better. The helmets look high school.

Keep the red helmets. The uni's could use more red around the shin pads like the 90's Bills uni's

Forgot how good the early 80's Bills teams were. Cribbs was a beast.

[This is an automated response]

As a courtesy to the other board members, please use more descriptive subject lines. The topic starter can edit the subject line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

I remember that game because it gave the BILLS a 4-0 start ...

The following week I was at the game down in SD and the BILLS came from 24-12 down and win 26-24 to go 5-0

The Murph was loaded with BILLS fans

Edited by ARTnSocal

Two things that standout... Think the kids nowadays could play on that rock hard turf? And... Fergy had some pretty nice mechanics... Nicely throwing off his front foot...

3 standouts for me: Bittersweet seeing ma-Boy Chandler#81 (85?) playing on that turf AGAINST us; Snappin' Dante's tib/fib brought 'Bust' Jim Plunkett off the bench, starting the Raider Super Bowl Championship run that year; Van's clear, crisp voice in it's prime!

Thanks for posting!:thumbsup:

This was before my day when I became a Bills fan. But seeing vids like this helps me to appreciate what I missed. Never saw Conrad Dobler play but paying attention to him and Fergie and others in this vid. Thanks for posting! :thumbsup:

Edited by Pilsner

3 standouts for me: Bittersweet seeing ma-Boy Chandler#81 (85?) playing on that turf AGAINST us; Snappin' Dante's tib/fib brought 'Bust' Jim Plunkett off the bench, starting the Raider Super Bowl Championship run that year; Van's clear, crisp voice in it's prime!

OAK was a Wild Card Team, first one to win the Super Bowl... They did catch "lightning in a bottle"... But the run would come two weeks AFTER the Bills loss, the Raiders were 2-3 with a loss to KC the week after the loss to BFLO... They would finish 11-5, same as the Bills. The Raiders should have lost to CLEV in the playoffs, but CLEV choked MORE than the Raiders did:

"...It appeared that the Raiders had the game sewn up shortly after the score when they recovered a Sipe fumble at the Cleveland 25 yard line. However, with fourth-and-inches at the 15 they chose to pass up a field goal attempt; van Eeghen was stopped short, and the Browns had the ball back with 2:22 left on the clock. The Browns fans came alive as the "Kardiac Kids" began to drive down the field. Sipe hit Newsome for a 29-yard gain. The Raiders were flagged for pass interference, and then Mike Pruitt ran for 14 yards. With less than a minute now remaining in the game, Cleveland had a second down at the Oakland 13 yard line. The choice for the Browns was, play it safe and set up for a potential game-winning field goal, or go for the touchdown. While the steady veteran Cockroft had kicked two field goals, he had also missed two, as well as having had his only extra point attempt blocked. Coach Rutigliano elected to try for a pass into the end zone and instructed Sipe to throw it away if no one was open. As the play developed, Sipe's primary receiver was Logan, but for a moment he saw Newsome appear to break free across the middle of the end zone. The pass was held up by the wind, long enough for strong safety Mike Davis to recover and intercept it in front of the tight end (pictured above). With 41 seconds left, the Browns had run out of come-from-behind dramatics, and Oakland was the winner by a 14-12 score. "I should have thrown it into Lake Erie," said a disappointed Sipe afterward. ..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

I remember that game because it gave the BILLS a 4-0 start ...

The following week I was at the game down in SD and the BILLS came from 24-12 down and win 26-24 to go 5-0

The Murph was loaded with BILLS fans

Yep. And we later lost to the Chargers in the Divisional Round of the playoffs…the infamous Joe Ferguson gimp Game. That was one of the most talented Bills teams ever…they had a legitimate shot at winning the Super Bowl that season, if not for Fergy's ankle injury. The offensive and defensive lines were incredible. Ben Williams and Sherman White are two of the best DEs the Bills have ever had… too bad sacks were not a statistic back in those days. Even the reserves on that team were incredible.

http://en.wikipedia....s_season#Roster

Only starters are listed in the link but the reserves on that team included receivers Ron Jessie and Lou Piccone, running backs Roland Hooks and Terry Miller, fullback Roosevelt Leaks (unstoppable in short yardage), O-lineman Tim Vogler, D-linemen Ken "Baby" Johnson, linebackers Phil Villapiano and Ervin "Blue" Parker, and D-backs Jeff Nixon and Rod Kush. Again these guys were reserves on that team and yet some of the most recognizable names in Bills history.

The Raiders team we beat that day had 4 future Hall of Famers and 6 Pro Bowlers as well as legendary players like John Matuszak and Ray Guy who is considered by many to be the best punter ever.

That was two great football teams on the field that day.

Yeah it was nice that whoever posted that to Youtube overlaid Van's radio broadcast over NBC's video. The TV announcers for that game were actually Dick Enberg and Merlin Olsen.

As an aside, there are AT LEAST two periods in Bills football where Ralph DID go cheap on the team/fans… which has contributed to the long-held belief by many fans that "Ralph is cheap." The dismissal of Chuck Knox and the dismantling of this team was one of those times.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan