What's it like being a Bills fan on the West Coast?

Grew up in West Seneca... was endlessly amused as a youngster being able to hear the crowd from Rich Stadium in my backyard. Became a fan when I was old enough to grasp the fundamentals of the game. Went to college at Brockport and became a bigger fan when thrust into social gatherings with Giants and Jets fans. Moved to Colorado after graduation, and became an even bigger fan - seems like the farther I got from WNY the bigger fan I became. There was no Bills Backers group here when I moved here ... so I helped start one. Today we boast hundreds of members.

I feel a little guilty sometimes about leaving Buffalo for greener pastures, so I do what my head and heart tell me is the best thing I can do which is to FLY THE BILLS FLAG as high as I can and make it a personal passion to teach everyone out west how awesome people are in WNY, and that we celebrate a proud culture that is completely separate from New York City. This is hard to do because out here anything associated with 'New York' is considered as NYC. But one person at a time we are helping to change that. Our reputation is being over-the-top fans; one local once pulled me aside and said 'you know you guys cheer first downs like touchdowns!' .. I told him that if there is one way to describe Buffalo fans it is that we are way too high when we win, and way too low when we lose. The very definition of passion in my book, and something I will carry with me for the rest of my life no matter how far away from HOME I ever go - and HOME in my heart will always be BUFFALO.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been to Buffalo...Born and raised in CA. I have a bit of an unusual way I became a Bills fan.

Grew up in Central CA where most were 49er fans, my dad was a hard core Niner fan. As a kid I was a big Payton fan, which made me a Bears fan by default. But I was real young and didn't really care about the Bears once Payton retired. So, I did not really have a favorite team yet, more like favorite players.

Well when I was young, my dad and that side of the family raised cattle. And one day, my grandfather for just the hell of it bought a live Buffalo at auction when buying some cattle for their ranch. I was like 10 and thought it was the greatest thing I had seen in person not in a zoo. Of course you also know Chris Berman for 20 years picked Buffalo and the Niners to go to the SB no matter how bad these teams were. Well, given my dad and I were competitive, I naturally rooted against the Niners. So between getting a real Buffalo and Berman picking Buffalo against the Niners I started paying attention to the Buffalo Bills.

During this time, I was just starting to really love the game and understand the game when Buffalo started to emerge with Thurman, Bruce, Kelly, Reed, etc. They were the most exciting team I had seen and was in love with the no huddle offense. I never looked back, I became a huge fan and loved the team ever since. I have been to several Bills games out here, but plan on going to see a home game this year for the first time.

Its a bit unusual story, but been a die hard Bills fan since about 1987, and always will.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Been a Bills fan since early in 1963 season. Go to Buffalo once/yr and watch all games on NFL package. Live in NJ in heart of Jets/Giants territory so it can be frustrating, especially after all their turnarounds so quick and ours seems like it takes forever. People always ask why I am a Bills fan and tell me how bad the Bills teams are. can't wait to get back at some of them. Go Buffalo! They all do agree Bills Fans are the best!

I was at that game in Pasadena with my brother. Loved every minute despite the fact that we got killed and were out-numbered by Cowboys' fans. One thing to point out on that game. We did score first. The cowboys' fans went quiet after that!

I was also at the game I never really understood what a redneck was until I met all those Cowboy Fans.

Also great thread I still live in Buffalo and it is great to see how people from all over the country became Bills Fans!!

Edited by wnybillsfan11

Awesome story dude, I had an encounter with a Buffalo at a zoo at a young age, and was amazed at this large powerful animal. I collect buffaloes to this day, and then grew up in Niagara Falls and was born a Buffalo Bills fan, so Buffaloes will be in my life til death. Again great story, and here we go again, hopefully getting back to the winning ways, and playoffs and winning a SUPERBOWL

Never been to Buffalo...Born and raised in CA. I have a bit of an unusual way I became a Bills fan.

Grew up in Central CA where most were 49er fans, my dad was a hard core Niner fan. As a kid I was a big Payton fan, which made me a Bears fan by default. But I was real young and didn't really care about the Bears once Payton retired. So, I did not really have a favorite team yet, more like favorite players.

Well when I was young, my dad and that side of the family raised cattle. And one day, my grandfather for just the hell of it bought a live Buffalo at auction when buying some cattle for their ranch. I was like 10 and thought it was the greatest thing I had seen in person not in a zoo. Of course you also know Chris Berman for 20 years picked Buffalo and the Niners to go to the SB no matter how bad these teams were. Well, given my dad and I were competitive, I naturally rooted against the Niners. So between getting a real Buffalo and Berman picking Buffalo against the Niners I started paying attention to the Buffalo Bills.

During this time, I was just starting to really love the game and understand the game when Buffalo started to emerge with Thurman, Bruce, Kelly, Reed, etc. They were the most exciting team I had seen and was in love with the no huddle offense. I never looked back, I became a huge fan and loved the team ever since. I have been to several Bills games out here, but plan on going to see a home game this year for the first time.

Its a bit unusual story, but been a die hard Bills fan since about 1987, and always will.

Grew up in West Seneca... was endlessly amused as a youngster being able to hear the crowd from Rich Stadium in my backyard. Became a fan when I was old enough to grasp the fundamentals of the game. Went to college at Brockport and became a bigger fan when thrust into social gatherings with Giants and Jets fans. Moved to Colorado after graduation, and became an even bigger fan - seems like the farther I got from WNY the bigger fan I became. There was no Bills Backers group here when I moved here ... so I helped start one. Today we boast hundreds of members.

I feel a little guilty sometimes about leaving Buffalo for greener pastures, so I do what my head and heart tell me is the best thing I can do which is to FLY THE BILLS FLAG as high as I can and make it a personal passion to teach everyone out west how awesome people are in WNY, and that we celebrate a proud culture that is completely separate from New York City. This is hard to do because out here anything associated with 'New York' is considered as NYC. But one person at a time we are helping to change that. Our reputation is being over-the-top fans; one local once pulled me aside and said 'you know you guys cheer first downs like touchdowns!' .. I told him that if there is one way to describe Buffalo fans it is that we are way too high when we win, and way too low when we lose. The very definition of passion in my book, and something I will carry with me for the rest of my life no matter how far away from HOME I ever go - and HOME in my heart will always be BUFFALO.

True dat. Seems like everybody west of the Mississip thinks all people from NY are knife-wielding madmen from the Bronx..

Of course, sometimes you can use that to your advantage..:blush:

Good story!

Born and raised in Williamsville, near Audabon Golf Course (if it's still there)....left after HS in '78 - father had been transferred to NC and so followed for college. Lifer as far as the Bills go....like the Braves and the NBA, if the Bills leave WNY then the NFL will be dead to me....before children (19 yrs. ago) I'd make it up to the Ralph a couple of times a year but after kids my wife (from Philadelphia and an Iggle's fan) sort of put the ki-bosh on those trips....now live in Richmond, VA and listen to all the games on Sirius radio so I can get the Bills broadcast with all the local color and commercials ("Celino and Barnes....." - catchy tune).

Great thread BTW....have really enjoyed reading through it.

Pretty soon your state will be bankrupt--good luck!

New York and the Feds are right behind!

Cant really add to this convo. Im 4th or 5th generation from Rochester. My parents lived in the shadow of Rich stadium when they first got married. One of my earliest memories of the Bills was having Bills Cowboys stickers on my lunch box. I may be leaving the area soon though. This weather is really getting to me and paying all these taxes while living next to complete scum bag welfare abusers is driving me nuts.

Edited by Thoner7

Wow, you just described me.

I am born, raised, and living in San Jose. My family are all 49'ers fans, and yet I never joined in, despite the Niners being the team of the 80's. As a kid I would cheer for certain players or whoever was winning, as do most kids, but I never had a team that I really cheered for.

I remember one year when the Bills upset the Cowboys in Buffalo, I believe the score was 14-3? I thought it was great and I started to pay attention a little more to the Bills, as much as I could, since you almost never saw Bills games on the west coast, or even get any news on the Bills.

When Jim Kelly joined the Bills is when I became a fan. Since then I live and breathe Bills football, even though I have never been to the city or a home game. One of these days I will get there, but for now I am waiting for that San Diego game in December. I've been to the last 3 Chargers games and the San Diego Backers sure know how to throw a party. I look forward to seeing many TBD'ers there this year.

Reporting from Salt Lake City, Utah: Huge Giant's fan growing up in Utica but attended college in Rochester and switch to Bills after my first game at Memorial Stadium in early '70's - I believe. It was a cold, blustery winter's day and the opponent was the hated Miami Dolphins. I sat behind one of the infamous pillars in a blizzard and did not see one play clearly but was hooked for life. Anyone else remember that game? When was it? Go Bills!

Born, raised and living in Berlin, Germany. My mom is from Wellsville, NY. My Uncle Dave got me hooked when I was eight or nine which happened to be at the end of the 1980s. Not the worst time to get hooked on the Bills... Watch the games every Sunday at six pm. Did see the Bills in person once when they lost a preseason game in Berlin in '92 or '93.

I was born outside of buffalo and now i hold it down in fairbanks alaska

I get the sunday ticket to get by.

The two hardest things, other that rarely making it to games, are food

and and the cost of shipping for my bills man cave.

The pizza and wings here are a joke, there is only one store that carries labats

and the games are on at nine in the morning so you have toast with the game.

I bought a couple bar stools and the fridge off nfl shop and paid over 300 in shipping.

Go bills and off subject i want the bills to sign matt spaeth

I was born outside of buffalo and now i hold it down in fairbanks alaska

I get the sunday ticket to get by.

The two hardest things, other that rarely making it to games, are food

and and the cost of shipping for my bills man cave.

The pizza and wings here are a joke, there is only one store that carries labats

and the games are on at nine in the morning so you have toast with the game.

I bought a couple bar stools and the fridge off nfl shop and paid over 300 in shipping.

Go bills and off subject i want the bills to sign matt spaeth

Welcome to the board.

Matt Spaeth?

Was he the Steelers backup behind Heath Miller?

Born and raised in Rochester. Left in 72 to serve 20+ years in the US Army. Been a Bills fan through think and thin since the "Juice was King". Most of my 57+ years I have lived in Europe or someplace other thank NY. I am a true NY native but live in central Virginia now. I spend lots of energy convining people who don't know that there is a bit of a difference between a chicken wing and a true Buffalo wing, or there is nothing better than a Beef on Weck with a cold Labatt's Blue or Genny Cream Ale (some old habits never die). I'm thankful to DirecTV and the Sunday Ticket. The airwaves here are overflowing with Redskins, Cowboys, Baltimore and Steelers, and a disgusting touch of the Patsies. I am as proud to display my Buffalo gear as I was with my military gear. I pray every day that the Bills stay in B-lo for all eternity. The NFL would not be the same if they move. GO Bills!!!!!!!! GO Sabres!!!!!!!!!

Born in Buffalo in 64. Moved to TX in 77, then back to Buffalo in 90. Was at the comeback game against Houston in Jan 93. Left in 95 back to TX. Been living in Vancouver, WA since 06. Been a Bills fan since 88. The Bills backers bar in Portland, OR is pretty good.

Wow, you just described me.

I am born, raised, and living in San Jose. My family are all 49'ers fans, and yet I never joined in, despite the Niners being the team of the 80's. As a kid I would cheer for certain players or whoever was winning, as do most kids, but I never had a team that I really cheered for.

I remember one year when the Bills upset the Cowboys in Buffalo, I believe the score was 14-3? I thought it was great and I started to pay attention a little more to the Bills, as much as I could, since you almost never saw Bills games on the west coast, or even get any news on the Bills.

When Jim Kelly joined the Bills is when I became a fan. Since then I live and breathe Bills football, even though I have never been to the city or a home game. One of these days I will get there, but for now I am waiting for that San Diego game in December. I've been to the last 3 Chargers games and the San Diego Backers sure know how to throw a party. I look forward to seeing many TBD'ers there this year.

Nice one, and yea it was 14-3.

That was in '84, the year the red helmets came out and we were 0-10 going into that game. Greg Bell (remember him) ran for an 85 yd TD and scored on another TD later on to seal the deal.