PFW looks at the Bills

Nice to see someone actually know what they are talking about, unlike at NFL Network.

PTR

Jamie Dukes is an argumentative a hole. Did you hear him baiting Stevie Johnson at the end of the interview when he was mocking Fitz?

Who is this guy Scott Chandler, what's his story? I see the name thrown about now and then

He's a guy who entered the league in 2007, who goes 6'7" and 272#, runs a 4.78 40-yard, and is an excellent blocker, but who hasn't seen many passes thrown his way. He did finish 17th in receiving yards at Iowa (2nd for TE's), so he has some receiving ability.

Who is this guy Scott Chandler, what's his story? I see the name thrown about now and then

He is one of five TE's listed on the Bills Roster along with:

Shawn Nelson, David Martin, Jonathan Stupar, and Mike Caussin. He is 6'7" and 272 lbs, 25 yrs old. The reason we haven't heard much of him or the others is because, IMO, they haven't used them very much in the offensive passing schemes and have used them more as blocking TE's. Gailey NEEDS to change this in 2011-2012 to be more competitive. If the O-Line improves and gives Fitzy a little more time and the defense gets us on the field more, then I hope to see and hear more from these guys catching passes.

I like Stupar and think between him, Nelson, and Chandler we could actually have a pretty darn good bunch of TE's if we just used them properly. There is also UDFA Charlie Gantt who we could consider when the lockout is resolved.

Hopefully the play calling will get even better this next season and these guy will make an impact on offense.

Stupar was 2nd in the NFL in Percentage Caught (92.3% of passes thrown to were caught).

Martin was 4th in the NFL (87.5%).

It shows me that the Bills will be using TE's more and more in Gailey's offense.

Astro

He is one of five TE's listed on the Bills Roster along with:

Shawn Nelson, David Martin, Jonathan Stupar, and Mike Caussin. He is 6'7" and 272 lbs, 25 yrs old. The reason we haven't heard much of him or the others is because, IMO, they haven't used them very much in the offensive passing schemes and have used them more as blocking TE's. Gailey NEEDS to change this in 2011-2012 to be more competitive. If the O-Line improves and gives Fitzy a little more time and the defense gets us on the field more, then I hope to see and hear more from these guys catching passes.

I like Stupar and think between him, Nelson, and Chandler we could actually have a pretty darn good bunch of TE's if we just used them properly. There is also UDFA Charlie Gantt who we could consider when the lockout is resolved.

Hopefully the play calling will get even better this next season and these guy will make an impact on offense.

Yep. And Chandler joined the team mid-season.

Stupar was 2nd in the NFL in Percentage Caught (92.3% of passes thrown to were caught).

Martin was 4th in the NFL (87.5%).

It shows me that the Bills will be using TE's more and more in Gailey's offense.

Tony Gonzalez had one of his best seasons when Gailey was the OC in KC.

Actual analysis not a series of jokes followed up by a bunch of common analysis that people jam in there.

Its actually well written with legit criticisms and solid analysis. I disagree that Fitz won't be the long term answer. Granted its unlikely but not a forgone conclusion either. I think this year will show just how solid Fitz can be if the support gets better.

The Bills have struggled for years to find a productive tight end, and some believe it could be Chandler, who should be on next year's roster.

Thought this was interesting, remember reading that Chandler was a big TE and great blocker when they signed him: http://www.buffalorumblings.com/2010/12/2/1851794/report-bills-claim-te-scott-chandler-on-waivers

Who supposedly was an "above average receiver with large, natural hands, good hand-eye coordination and good body control throughout his route progression" when coming into the league. http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/historical/408163

Wonder if he has a chance at being the Bills starting TE. Even if he is only a somewhat reliable receiver who can contribute in a big way in the run game he'd be an upgrade over last season. Especially with the number of 4 WRs sets they used last year.

Edited by Ghost of Rob Johnson

He's a guy who entered the league in 2007, who goes 6'7" and 272#, runs a 4.78 40-yard, and is an excellent blocker, but who hasn't seen many passes thrown his way. He did finish 17th in receiving yards at Iowa (2nd for TE's), so he has some receiving ability.

I'm not seeing this hype of Scott Chandler. He's on his 5th team (2 stints with Dallas) in 4 seasons, has caught one pass in those years, and was on a practice squad all of 2009. I'm not sure there are many good TE's who spent their first 4 seasons in the NFL this way.

I'm not seeing this hype of Scott Chandler. He's on his 5th team (2 stints with Dallas) in 4 seasons, has caught one pass in those years, and was on a practice squad all of 2009. I'm not sure there are many good TE's who spent their first 4 seasons in the NFL this way.

He's got great size and is an excellent blocker, so at least he's valuable in those respects. That he was a good receiver in college and is said to have good hands gives me some hope that at least he can be an outlet receiver. And if you look at the teams he's been with (SD, NYG, Dallas), they all had great #1 TE's, likely relegating him to just the role of a blocker. Still, I'd also like the Bills to pickup one of the top TE's available in FA.

He's got great size and is an excellent blocker, so at least he's valuable in those respects. That he was a good receiver in college and is said to have good hands gives me some hope that at least he can be an outlet receiver. And if you look at the teams he's been with (SD, NYG, Dallas), they all had great #1 TE's, likely relegating him to just the role of a blocker. Still, I'd also like the Bills to pickup one of the top TE's available in FA.

I'm not pinning my hopes for a decent TE on him regardless. Even teams with fine #1 TE's have need for blocking TE's, and Chandler didn't play in a regular season during 2008 or 2009. We're not talking about a guy who could be a #2, but rather a fringe NFL player.

I too would like to see Buffalo pursue a Kevin Boss or Zach Miller, but don't believe Gailey will use his TE's as anything more than blockers. Still not sure, because he's supposedly an offensive genius and he's relegating a position most of the league has decent talent at. NE drafted two outstanding ones thus far last year. No amount of WR's makes up for this either.