Rank the Bills SECOND round picks

The thread ranking Modrak's first round picks was fun but I was suprised how many defenders Modrak had. It always seemed to be someone else's fault - meddling owner, coach (Maybin was Jauron's pick!), GM (Losman was Donahue's brainchild!), etc. I thought it would be interesting to look at Modrak's second round picks. Presumably there would be less interference from owner, coach or GM. Also, if Modrak's job was to rank the best at a particular position while the GM made the call on a particular player, you could judge how well Modrak did his job. Finally, second and third round picks are the heart and soul of most championship teams so it should be telling to see how Modrak did with his second round picks. Here goes (read 'em & weep):

1) Levitre '09 G - dependable starter, promising start to career; traded up to get him;

2) Byrd '09 S - great rookie season, jury still out to large extent;

3) Kelsey - '03 DE - OK defensive end, nothing special; durable; passed over DE Osi Uminyora who was selected a few picks later;

4) Posluszny - '07 LB - OK MLB, nothing special; traded up to get him; passed over LB David Harris

5) J. Reed - '02 WR - OK third down receiver, nothing special, lasted a long time as a Bill;

6) Parrish - '05 WR/PR - great punt returner, mediocre receiver, lasted long time as a Bill, passed over Vincent Jackson;

7) Denney - '02 DE - serviceable backup; traded up to get him to screw the Steelers out of the pick; they selected Antwan Randle-El who won a Super Bowl for them;

8) Hardy - '08 WR - total bust; passed on Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson because we "needed" a big receiver.

Bottom-line is kind of interesting - only one true bust (unlike the first round picks). A ton of serviceable guys who might have fit in better if overall team talent was better. On the other hand, if Modrak's job was to rank players, that's a lot of mistakes in just a few years. A "C" sounds fair.

The thread ranking Modrak's first round picks was fun but I was suprised how many defenders Modrak had. It always seemed to be someone else's fault - meddling owner, coach (Maybin was Jauron's pick!), GM (Losman was Donahue's brainchild!), etc. I thought it would be interesting to look at Modrak's second round picks. Presumably there would be less interference from owner, coach or GM. Also, if Modrak's job was to rank the best at a particular position while the GM made the call on a particular player, you could judge how well Modrak did his job. Finally, second and third round picks are the heart and soul of most championship teams so it should be telling to see how Modrak did with his second round picks. Here goes (read 'em & weep):

1) Levitre '09 G - dependable starter, promising start to career; traded up to get him;

2) Byrd '09 S - great rookie season, jury still out to large extent;

3) Kelsey - '03 DE - OK defensive end, nothing special; durable; passed over DE Osi Uminyora who was selected a few picks later;

4) Posluszny - '07 LB - OK MLB, nothing special; traded up to get him; passed over LB David Harris

5) J. Reed - '02 WR - OK third down receiver, nothing special, lasted a long time as a Bill;

6) Parrish - '05 WR/PR - great punt returner, mediocre receiver, lasted long time as a Bill, passed over Vincent Jackson;

7) Denney - '02 DE - serviceable backup; traded up to get him to screw the Steelers out of the pick; they selected Antwan Randle-El who won a Super Bowl for them;

8) Hardy - '08 WR - total bust; passed on Eddie Royal and Desean Jackson because we "needed" a big receiver.

Bottom-line is kind of interesting - only one true bust (unlike the first round picks). A ton of serviceable guys who might have fit in better if overall team talent was better. On the other hand, if Modrak's job was to rank players, that's a lot of mistakes in just a few years. A "C" sounds fair.

levitre was a good pick.

Last season Troup is a big boy but the jury is still out on him,

Byrd was a nice find and I remember reading he was in demand early in round 2.

Kelsey has been an adequate player for a long time

Poz is a good player and the guy the fans wanted

Reed was a much better player than people give him credit for. One of the best blocking receiver in the NFL in his day and great after the catch

Parrish has been a dynamic player in special teams and when a coach finally gave him a shot last year he was a good receiver too

Denny was a good player and nice depth on our D line

Hardy was bad, One TD...just bad

levitre was a good pick.

Reed was a much better player than people give him credit for. One of the best blocking receiver in the NFL in his day and great after the catchParrish has been a dynamic player in special teams and when a coach finally gave him a shot last year he was a good receiver too

Huh???

http://www.nfl.com/players/joshreed/profile?id=REE314559

levitre was a good pick.

Reed was a much better player than people give him credit for. One of the best blocking receiver in the NFL in his day and great after the catch

Parrish has been a dynamic player in special teams and when a coach finally gave him a shot last year he was a good receiver too

Troup jury is still out, could be a defining year.

Levitre has stabilized the position but he needs to get better if we are to have a run game.

Byrd is talented, the change in scheme hurt him but toward the end of the season he became very rounded in his position.

Kelsey a dime a dozen player not worth the contract. A liability to the defense.

Poz another dime a dozen player not worth what we gave up to get him. To soft, can't handle his position,another defensive liabilty.

Reed never could escape mediocrity. Battled the dropsies early in career. Not having a good QB didn't help him.

Parrish excellent special teamer deserves a chance to get his hands on the ball more.

Denny see Poz and Kelsey.

Hardy was his own worst enemy, trendy choice looking for a Plaxico type receiver. Wasted pick.

Byrd seems to be the best pick of the bunch. The only one to truly earn a pro bowl spot. The others will not come close maybe with the exception of Troup. Troup, Levitre and Byrd still have upside.

Edited by VADC Bills

I'd be more in jive with this thread if it didn't have the 'passed over' stuff.

Good thing you speak jive.

I'd be more in jibe with this thread if that was a list of 4th round guys.

Didnt see any Yards after Catch stat on that link. As I recall, I remember Josh being pretty good after the catch as well.

He was originally recruited as a RB at LSU so he was a natural at it. I recall one play against the dolphins in 2007? When he ran thru three defenders on his way to a TD. Another play against the ravens that year when he broke a tackle and gained an extra ten yards. He was underrated in the department IMO

Didnt see any Yards after Catch stat on that link. As I recall, I remember Josh being pretty good after the catch as well.

Can't find. He was supposed/hoped to be good after the cacth, but I didn't think it ever

materialized.

His yards/catch is 11, which doesn't indicate high YAC, and for his career he had only 11 TDs.

:unsure:

Can't find. He was supposed/hoped to be good after the cacth, but I didn't think it ever

materialized.

His yards/catch is 11, which doesn't indicate high YAC, and for his career he had only 11 TDs.

:unsure:

http://www.nfl.com/players/brandonmarshall/profile?id=MAR370922

Brandon Marshall by comparison...supposedly very good after the catch

The early picks including twos were so ridiculously need based under jauron, it's gross. It clearly wasn't rankings based, just whatever we sucked at the year before, or the biggest FA loss. It makes it very hard to evaluate modrak.

1) Levitre '09 G - *B-* Has potential to become better

2) Byrd '09 S - *A-* Has seen one great year and then disappeared.

3) Kelsey - '03 DE - *D* - No comment

4) Posluszny - '07 LB - *B-* Would be good if he didn't get injured every year

5) J. Reed - '02 WR - *C+* - Struggled his first few years but developed into a good 3rd WR. I was sad when he left

6) Parrish - '05 WR/PR - *C* - Keep him at PR only

7) Denney - '02 DE - *C-* - Highlight of his career was a TD on Special Teams

8) Hardy - '08 WR - *D* - Never did anything except catch a game winning TD

Edited by Bills!Win!

5) J. Reed - '02 WR - *C+* - Struggled his first few years but developed into a good 3rd WR. I was sad when he left

You seriously want to keep Roscoe at PR only after the kind of year he started to have last season?

First I disagree with Kelsey's grade. I know we wish he could do better, but there is no way he is a D as a second round pick.

It is pretty interesting (or insert whatever word you want here) that we are so much better at drafting a player who will play for us for years in the second round than we are in the first round.

First I disagree with Kelsey's grade. I know we wish he could do better, but there is no way he is a D as a second round pick.

It is pretty interesting (or insert whatever word you want here) that we are so much better at drafting a player who will play for us for years in the second round than we are in the first round.

I think O'le Whitey gave up an additional pick to move up and get Denney, which makes that pick even worse.

Why the Bills keep handing Kelsay contacts and money is beyond me. That happened this past season, and was not a scouting / drafting move either.

Exactly - people get wrapped up in what they think Parrish could be - not what he has been. He was a very solid punt returner. I know he started to have a better season as a WR last year but his career numbers are far from noteworthy.

It's amazing how many people here want to ignore five years of non-production and instead extrapolate a few average games into some kind of star performance.

Exactly - people get wrapped up in what they think Parrish could be - not what he has been. He was a very solid punt returner. I know he started to have a better season as a WR last year but his career numbers are far from noteworthy.

"Very solid" punt returner!?! He was a freaking ridiculous punt returner for a few years. In fact, wasn't he at one point the leader in yards per punt return in the history of the NFL? Come on guys, I was very interested to open this thread and I am shocked at some of the responses. First of all, the list is not an indictment on Bills second round picks at all. In fact, it's actually a pretty decent list. I would've put Kelsay third last right before Denney, who wasn't even that bad himself. I think you have to put Roscoe second or third (I agree 100% w/ Levitre being #1) based on just HOW good he was as a punt returner.

"Very solid" punt returner!?! He was a freaking ridiculous punt returner for a few years. In fact, wasn't he at one point the leader in yards per punt return in the history of the NFL? Come on guys, I was very interested to open this thread and I am shocked at some of the responses. First of all, the list is not an indictment on Bills second round picks at all. In fact, it's actually a pretty decent list. I would've put Kelsay third last right before Denney, who wasn't even that bad himself. I think you have to put Roscoe second or third (I agree 100% w/ Levitre being #1) based on just HOW good he was as a punt returner.

Sure Parrish has a very high punt return average, but what's that really worth? An average of 2 per game, an extra 5-6 yards vs. an average return man gives you about 10-12 yards advantage per game. That's something, but it's not going to change many games. Getting some decent tackles could probably save one holding penalty a game and that's about the same yardage.

Othewise, my problem with the list is that it's a bunch of average guys. Several starters yes, but averages ones on a below average team. Compared to the list of first round disasters it looks ok, but there's not an outstanding performer in a bunch (w/ the jury still out on Levitre).