How in the name of God does Phil Hansen...

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

Maybe next year we put up Jeff Wright and Glenn Parker.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

go up on the Wall before Cornelius Bennett. Phil Hansen was a nice player, but he played in 0 Pro Bowls. Bennett? Try 5 Pro Bowls, 3 FIRST TEAM NFL ALL-PROS, 1990's All-Decade team, 1988 AFC Defensive player of the year. All of this w/ the Bills. I hate to say it, but you could bring up the race card on this one and I'd be hard-pressed to argue w/ it. Not to mention, Bennett played before Hansen. It's kind of crazy. And yes I know, Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist as well.

It's not race. Ralph doesn't remember this Bennett chap. The man was in his 70's when Cornelius played--who can remember what was going on back when you were only in your 70's??

Hansen was a HUGE part of those Bills Teams and is definitely deserving...But I agree Biscuit should go up first...In fact that was the 1st thing I though of when I heard it was Hansen this year...What about Bennett? B-)

I think it is kind of crazy too...Hansen's best years came much later in his career, IMO, when the Super Bowl glory had already faded. Bennett, IMO, is really underrated. He did have some unsavory off the field issues, as I recall...that may be part of it. I think the WOF honors players who were big in the community, as well as on the field.

People in Buffalo don't seem as warm and fuzzy about Bennett, and he doesn't seem as warm and fuzzy about Buffalo. I know Hansen still does charity work in Buffalo, and is active as a Bills alumni. FWIW...

Edited by Buftex

bennett was an amazing player who did everything he was ever asked to do. i remember when bruce was out for most of the season. i think it was 91 or 92. cb moved inside and was in on bloody everything. he held that d together.

in a different defense, he would have had derrick thomas numbers of sacks. the guy was so good at covering tight ends and even receivers at times that they fell in love with dropping him into coverage. i think he is the most underrated linebacker of his era.

Hansen was a great, low-key, dependable, under-appreciated player. Great against the run, got pressure on the QB, and hustled all over the field. Congrats #90. You deserve it.

Hansen was a great, low-key, dependable, under-appreciated player. Great against the run, got pressure on the QB, and hustled all over the field. Congrats #90. You deserve it.

Quite so... and he was a lifetime Bill, which also counts in these things.

I think it is kind of crazy too...Hansen's best years came much later in his career, IMO, when the Super Bowl glory had already faded. Bennett, IMO, is really underrated. He did have some unsavory off the field issues, as I recall...that may be part of it. I think the WOF honors players who were big in the community, as well as on the field.

People in Buffalo don't seem as warm and fuzzy about Bennett, and he doesn't seem as warm and fuzzy about Buffalo. I know Hansen still does charity work in Buffalo, and is active as a Bills alumni. FWIW...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/2003-12-22-athletes-assault-side_x.htm

Cornelius Bennett

Atlanta Falcons

He was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in a Buffalo hotel room in 1997. Bennett pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge of sex abuse and was sentenced to 60 days in jail. He served 36. In addition to the jail sentence, Bennett was fined $1,000 and was ordered to pay $617.26 of the woman's hospital bills, perform 100 hours of community service and undergo anger-management and substance-abuse counseling

Edited by Kingfish

That's gotta be the reason. I still don't think Hansen is a Wall of Famer though. Again, very nice "high motor" player who was consistent over a long period of time. Although I suppose the bar had already been lowered w/ some of the guys who are already on there. I have to remind myself that it's not like getting in the Hall of Fame. If Hansen's on there then Schobel, Ruben Brown, Moulds and Moorman have to go up at some point.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

Does seem like a low bar was set for the Wall of Fame on this one. Don't get me wrong Phil Hansen was a grinder and important to the Bills but Wall of Fame?

I think the Wall of Fame should be reserved for Hall of Fame Potential players not fan favorites. Phil Hansen has about 0.0000000001% chance of making the NFL Hall of Fame.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Anyways, not meaning any disrespect to the players already on The Wall…but without Lou Saban and Cookie Gilchrist, it becomes something a lot less than a place to honor the most important people in franchise history.

Thank goodness it's a committee or else who knows who Ralph would have put up there if acting alone…Harvey Johnson? Stew Barber?

Tom Modrak?

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

That's gotta be the reason. I still don't think Hansen is a Wall of Famer though. Again, very nice "high motor" player who was consistent over a long period of time. Although I suppose the bar had already been lowered w/ some of the guys who are already on there. I have to remind myself that it's not like getting in the Hall of Fame. If Hansen's on there then Schobel, Ruben Brown, Moulds and Moorman have to go up at some point.

Yeah, but I think the Wall isn't necessarily only for playing ability...it is, in no small part, reserved for guys who were good players, but also represented the franchise well. I am in no way making the argument that Hansen was a better player than Bennett (Biscquit is one of my all-time favorites), just that the Bills (Wilson?) may not feel that he meets the same criteria that Hansen meets. Also, I think you are kind or downplaying how good Hansen was. He got better and better as his career went on, as I recall.

I suspect Ruben Brown may make the WOF at some point too...and Moorman. Ruben had his one run in with a O-line coach in his final season, but was a great (very underrated by Bills fan) player, and a good representitive for the franchise.

I would also argue that maybe your guy, Metzelaars could go up on the Wall...but they will eventually run out of wall space! :lol:

Edited by Buftex

Phil was a workhorse. He did his very job well. He like many was overlooked by the "media experts".

Phil Hansen ranks No. 3 in team history in sacks. Is that good enough to qualify?

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

It's not race. Ralph doesn't remember this Bennett chap. The man was in his 70's when Cornelius played--who can remember what was going on back when you were only in your 70's??

Yet he remembers Hansen, who joined the team after Bennett. Hmmmm.

Yeah, but I think the Wall isn't necessarily only for playing ability...it is, in no small part, reserved for guys who were good players, but also represented the franchise well. I am in no way making the argument that Hansen was a better player than Bennett (Biscquit is one of my all-time favorites), just that the Bills (Wilson?) may not feel that he meets the same criteria that Hansen meets. Also, I think you are kind or downplaying how good Hansen was. He got better and better as his career went on, as I recall.

I suspect Ruben Brown may make the WOF at some point too...and Moorman. Ruben had his one run in with a O-line coach in his final season, but was a great (very underrated by Bills fan) player, and a good representitive for the franchise.

I would also argue that maybe your guy, Metzelaars could go up on the Wall...but they will eventually run out of wall space! :lol:

I agree with your take here and the message being sent by the committee is the same message that we've been sent on the field…that there's a greater value in honoring a person who comports himself with class than there is in honoring a great player/coach who helped the team win.

No Lou, No Cookie, No Biscuit…but yes to Ryan Denney.

I guess Chris Kelsay is gonna be up there someday too.

I agree with your take here and the message being sent by the committee is the same message that we've been sent on the field…that there's a greater value in honoring a person who comports himself with class than there is in honoring a great player/coach who helped the team win.

No Lou, No Cookie, No Biscuit…but yes to Ryan Denney.

I guess Chris Kelsay is gonna be up there someday too.

Agreed, and that is a great "Bills in a nutshell" which would explain Ralph's history of "success" with the franchise. The message sent from the top is "Winning comes second", and really if you count the priority of making money, then Winning actually comes in as 3rd or 4th priority to the owner. Oh well, someday we'll have our Pegula. Someday...

Agreed. Hansen is great and all, but there are better former Bills that arent up there yet. And if Phil Hansen can make it up, who is next? Carwell Gardner?!?

Carwell Gardner goes up just for getting Bryan Cox ejected in Buffalo. A priceless memory taunting him as he was forced to leave the field. :thumbsup: