Starting defense?

In the 34,

DL: Williams-Troup-Dareus

LB: Merriman-Posluszny-Sheppard?-Kelsay/Moats?

CB: McKelvin-A.Williams-nickel:McGee

FS: Byrd

SS: Wilson/Scott/Searcy?

Jasper seriously could make moves.

Great depth on the dline with Edwards, Carrington and Sp. Johnson too

Don't see Williams as a DE in the 3-4. Just don't see it.

Still looks shakey at OLB. Merriman is the key. Kelsey cannot cover. Moats?

Wilson will probabaly back up Byrd at SS. There will be a lot of people rotating in the defensive backfield.

Now do people see why we drafted 3 DBs?

This is definitely how I see it. I think there will be a lot of rotation on the D-line, but our base set should be this. I'm actually surprised there's so much differing opinions on this.

I also think a line-up of Williams - Troupe - Dareus would be excellent. (big) If Jasper is able to get into the rotation I think they'll eventually go this route.

I am not surprised at all that there are so many differing opinions on what the base defense will look like. Actually I believe there will be a lot of switching up. Position swapping is something that a lot of these guys are used to and that can be a real asset used to confuse opposing offenses.

I am not writing off Florence at this point, he has the SD connection with Buddy. McGee has done nothing for 2 seasons. One common thread in the picks for the back 7 was good tacklers.

I would sign Florance and trade McGee for anything I could get next year. Even if McGee has a great season I would still trade him, it would only increase his value anyway. There is just no way that this guy has even 2 full seasons left in him. One more year and do a little Belickeckin.

we still dont know what Danny batten can do for us at LB and we got that monster in the 7rd, i also say we keep McGee for depth and resign Florence.........all we can to is hope and prey it all works out go bills!!

This... I think Batten is the reason they didnt take another LB. Batten might turn out to be a solid addition. Even if Sheppard starts over him. Batten will still be Solid as a back up and situational play.

First of all there is no "starting defense" It is all about packages. The defense will switch based on the offensive personnel and scheme. KC and Oakland are the first two games and they have fantastic running games. I would bet they play predominantly a 4-3 in those games to get Troup, Dareus, and Williams all on the field at the same time. And on third down they typically play 4 down lineman(one of which may be a OLB in a 3 point stance) in the dime and nickel packages. Dareus will move to DT for Troup and Carrington and Maybin/Kelsay will play DE. Sheppard may be the guy in the middle on the nickel and dime packages because we know Poz can't cover anyone out of the backfield or in the deep middle. I hate Kelsay as a starter but he may have a role as a pass rushing DE. I can't see Maybin making the team at this point but if a miracle happens or Merriman's no longer on roids body breaks down a gain then he and or Batten will fight for the OLB spot.

Base 4-3

DL Edwards, Williams, Troup, Dareus

LB Merriman, Poz(Sheppard), Moats

DB McKelvin, Mcgee, Byrd, Wilson

Base 3-4

DL Edwards, Williams, Dareus

LB Merriman, Poz, Sheppard, Moats

DB McKelvin, McGee, Byrd, Wilson

Nickel

DL Carrington, Williams, Dareus, Maybin/Kelsay

LB Sheppard, Moats

DB McKelvin, McGee, Williams, Byrd, Wilson

Dime

DL Carrington, Williams, Dareus, Moats

LB Sheppard

Db McGee, McKelvin, Corner, Williams, Wilson, Byrd

Wilson will probabaly back up Byrd at SS. There will be a lot of people rotating in the defensive backfield.

I have the same questions about Williams at DE. Too many people think that Williams can be moved to DE and play at the same level. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. If not, what is Plan B at the 3-4 DE position opposite Dareus?

I have the same questions about Williams at DE. Too many people think that Williams can be moved to DE and play at the same level. Maybe he can, maybe he can't. If not, what is Plan B at the 3-4 DE position opposite Dareus?

Why do people think Williams will play a 3-4 DE? He never has. He will be a rotating NT with Troup when they play a 3-4 and will play a DT with either Troup or Dareus when in a 4 down lineman set. He will never and has never played DE. Dwan Edwards or Carrington will play DE opposite Dareus and really they will all rotate those positions. I don't know if Spencer Johnson or McCargo is the other DE or if they use Kelsay as the fourth DE. I can't seen them keeping 3 NT's so that leaves maybe one more spot besides Kelsay. I hope they are able to practice squad Jasper. Then again the new CBA may allow a couple extra players to be added to the roster.

I don't see Kyle Williams moving to end in the 34. His arms are short and that's difficult when lining up over the offensive tackle as opposed to a guard or center. I think Dwan Edwards, Williams and Dareus are the starting 34 line.

We can pray that Moats and Merriman are the starters at OLB, but inevitably Kelsay will either see time over Moats, or once Merriman gets hurt.

Hope we re-sign Poz and Sheppard beats out Andra Davis.

Your secondary looks pretty good to me, but I think Aaron Williams will be the nickle guy. He played most of his college career in the slot.

If we can re-sign Drayton Florence, I would prefer we do that and cut ties with Terrence McGee at this point. Terrence has been a class act for us but I'd rather re-sign the younger Florence and let the often injured McGee go.

DFlo and McGee are the same age. And no reason to cut him. He can still play when healthy. Reduce his workload. Florence/Williams start. The one who doesn't and McGee become the nickel and dime package CB's.

Edited by purple haze

Dareus Williams Edwards (Troup comes in on running downs Williams splits out to DE Carrington rotates in as well)

Merriman Poz Sheppard Moats (would not be surprised if a couple free agents are brought in for depth or for MLB)

Florence and Mckelvin for CB with Mcgee at Nickel and Williams at dime

Byrd and Wilson at FS and SS

Not a bad group if there can be some LBs brought into the mix

Dareus Williams Edwards (Troup comes in on running downs Williams splits out to DE Carrington rotates in as well)

Merriman Poz Sheppard Moats (would not be surprised if a couple free agents are brought in for depth or for MLB)

Florence and Mckelvin for CB with Mcgee at Nickel and Williams at dime

Byrd and Wilson at FS and SS

Not a bad group if there can be some LBs brought into the mix

Not bad, I agree on most.

DL-Dareus-Williams-Edwards

LB-Merriman-Sheppard-Poz-Kelsay

CB-McGee-Florence (McKelvin at Nickle, Williams at Dime)

S-Byrd-Wilson

I agree about Williams. I truly love the guy, but putting him in a 5-technique is setting him and the defense up for failure.

DL: Edwards-Williams-Dareus

LB: Merriman-Posluszny-Davis-Kelsay/Moats

CB: McKelvin-McGee nickle: Williams

SS: Whitner (for now, maybe a FA replacement but as of right now he was tendered as an RFA and is still a Bill)

You have the DL correct, Troup and Carrington will be part of the rotation.

LB's - Kelsay is not a OLB so I question him starting although we have no proven depth here. Merriman not sure what we are going to get out of him but I think he will be solid. Poz should be part of the rotation coming off the bench, his instincts, tackling and cover ability are poor. I think you will see Sheppard and White become fixtures at MLB.

CB's - McKelvin is nickel back not sure if he is ready to be starter. Florence should be resigned he is badly needed.

S - It seems like Whitner may be gone (if so take Poz with you )I like Wilson. Byrd and maybe one of the rookies in the rotation.

Edited by VADC Bills

In the 34,

DL: Williams-Troup-Dareus

LB: Merriman-Posluszny-Sheppard?-Kelsay/Moats?

CB: McKelvin-A.Williams-nickel:McGee

SS: Wilson/Scott/Searcy?

Jasper seriously could make moves.

Great depth on the dline with Edwards, Carrington and Sp. Johnson too

I like the OP's front-3, but don't disagree with those who suggest Williams isn't a good choice at DE - BUT if Williams can't play DE, I don't see how we don't need to go back to 4-3... Troup is no DE.

I think there is no way Sheppard sees the field other than special teams for the first half of the year at the earliest, and I don't think Merriman will ever be healthy enough to crack the starting lineup assuming he even gets through camp and preseason healthy (sure hope i'm wrong there).

Opening day LB's will be Andra Davis, Poz, Kelsay and Moats.

I really like Dwan Edwards and think he will surprise this year with two pro bowl caliber big bodies on the the line next to him, and with Moats being the primary edge rusher we may be able to get consistent pressure with just four (the key to a great defense). All four dudes can get upfield and three DL's are all lane cloggers that have the size and power to control their gap.

If you can bring heat with the front four, your LB's and D backs get a whole lot better from day 1.