WGR Afternoon Show

I gave up on local radio stations a long time ago, especially since I bought my Sirius and can get Sirius NFL radio, but I tuned in today just to get a feel for what Bills fans wanted in the draft..and what do I hear? Hockey offseason talk?

I was listening earlier, and they were making light of the fact that neither one of them knew much about the draft.

"That texas A& M LB seems good, I that D-Lineman from Alabama seems good"

These two clowns work in Buffalo, not New York. they have 2 professional sports teams to be responsible for, not 8. Tonight, in the NFL draft ( an event that will gain more viewership than the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals) the hometown Bills have the 3rd pick.

And these guys are making light of the fact that they haven't really been paying attention to the draft.

Bills are bad, I get that.

The Draft is a crapshoot, I get that.

The Sabres just lost a heartbreaking series 2 nights ago, I get that.

But not following the draft when you host a show in Buffalo and you only have 2 teams to worry about is unacceptable, and acting like it's a chore to even talk football is so typical of these clowns.

There's a lot more optimism about the Sabres' organ-eye-zation and prospects for building a championship team than there is across the city in Orchard Park.

Gotta call a spade a spade.

I gave up on local radio stations a long time ago, especially since I bought my Sirius and can get Sirius NFL radio, but I tuned in today just to get a feel for what Bills fans wanted in the draft..and what do I hear? Hockey offseason talk?

I was listening earlier, and they were making light of the fact that neither one of them knew much about the draft.

"That texas A& M LB seems good, I that D-Lineman from Alabama seems good"

These two clowns work in Buffalo, not New York. they have 2 professional sports teams to be responsible for, not 8. Tonight, in the NFL draft ( an event that will gain more viewership than the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals) the hometown Bills have the 3rd pick.

And these guys are making light of the fact that they haven't really been paying attention to the draft.

Bills are bad, I get that.

The Draft is a crapshoot, I get that.

The Sabres just lost a heartbreaking series 2 nights ago, I get that.

But not following the draft when you host a show in Buffalo and you only have 2 teams to worry about is unacceptable, and acting like it's a chore to even talk football is so typical of these clowns.

That's what you get when you put a microphone in front of a dimwit with a lateral lisp.

The amount of effort(sports knowledge) put into the morning and afternoon show is embarrassing. I'm not even sure they could have an in-depth discussion about the Bills and Sabres, which is why they resort to devoting hours of a show to Miller vs. Enroth and other nonsense like that.

...and then they wonder why they get the moronic phone calls. :doh:

I got up around 8 this morning & put WGR on -they had Hamilton talking hockey-off it went. Then Schopp gets on the air today & says he hasn't talked much about the draft until today. Today is the 1st time I put WGR on in months. Since I don't give a rat's @ss about hockey, it looks like I would have wasted my time if I had tuned in before today.

I was listening to Sirius earlier today & wanted more of a local flavor to the draft & switched at 3, only to get hockey talk in the middle of the program. Right now I've got WGR on the computer & ESPN on the tv in the same room. I'll be listening to Sirius tomorrow until 3 & then hope for the best when I turn on WGR.

There's a lot more optimism about the Sabres' organ-eye-zation and prospects for building a championship team than there is across the city in Orchard Park.

Gotta call a spade a spade.

Yes, but since the NFL is about 50 times more popular than hockey, one would expect that radio show hosts would bone up on the Bills.

I can't stand Schopp, he's an angry person who is over-emotional when it comes to things, and also too calculated and cautious with his words, making sure always to correct himself for making any statement that someone might call him out on. But I rarely listen, mainly because of him. But I was subjected to his act today when in a waiting room and he was totally going out of his way to act clueless as a means to show his distain for the team and the sport. This is a guy who NEVER gets on the air about something he's passionate about without an opinion (and he's always right, everyone is wrong) and stand by it. So his design feigned ignorance today is intentional as means to distance himself from something he hates.

I listen to that station at other time but I refuse to turn it on between 3-6.

He can have his SJF degree (I guess he didn't realize Syracuse has one of the best journalism schools) in communications and his bully pulpit, he's still a working in a dying media town and still the most disliked personality on that channel. Ask everyone who listens, they agree!

Stop listening!

I can't stand Schopp, he's an angry person who is over-emotional when it comes to things, and also too calculated and cautious with his words, making sure always to correct himself for making any statement that someone might call him out on. But I rarely listen, mainly because of him. But I was subjected to his act today when in a waiting room and he was totally going out of his way to act clueless as a means to show his distain for the team and the sport. This is a guy who NEVER gets on the air about something he's passionate about without an opinion (and he's always right, everyone is wrong) and stand by it. So his design feigned ignorance today is intentional as means to distance himself from something he hates.

I listen to that station at other time but I refuse to turn it on between 3-6.

He can have his SJF degree (I guess he didn't realize Syracuse has one of the best journalism schools) in communications and his bully pulpit, he's still a working in a dying media town and still the most disliked personality on that channel. Ask everyone who listens, they agree!

Stop listening!

i listen everyday, seriously, and its wearing on my soul

Yes, but since the NFL is about 50 times more popular than hockey, one would expect that radio show hosts would bone up on the Bills.

Exactly, these guys are an embarassment to their industry. I know the NCAA Tourney is not that big of deal around WNY but the day of the tourney I remember that moron bulldog openly bragged that he has not watched one game this year. Yeah I would be proud of that you dipshit. Schopp is the guy who was not good enough to play sports when he was a kid & probably got picked on daily. That is why he comes off as a prick 90% of the time.

& like the above poster mentioned, get it the Sabres are a better run organization. But since the NFL is the NFL & the NHL is well to put it bluntly probably a 5th rated sport(behind the NFL, NBA, MLB, NASCAR) & that Buffalo actually has the 3rd freaking pick in the draft & the draft is a few short hours away, you would think these 2 dickheads could maybe spend the afternoon talking about the draft & continue their nonstop sabres talk tomorrow.

I'm usually one of the first to criticize this show. Schopp I swear to god is more concerned with his dog, or his actor drafts, or other random useless shite, than he is about Buffalo sports.

That said.

Sabre fans are coming off one of the more enjoyable, interesting seasons in awhile, and it's gonna be hard to just kind of "drop it" 2 days after the season ended. The sabres are terribly more interesting then the Bills are right now, and the lockout/picking 3rd knowing we're gonna get someone elite(knock on wood) has really kind of dulled the interest.

But I agree, Bulldog is passionate about Buffalo sports but comes off as a bumbling dope, and schopp doesn't like the Bills or really football and has admitted that, and is far more interested in other things unrelated to a sports talk show. It definitely can be difficult to listen to.

I'm usually one of the first to criticize this show. Schopp I swear to god is more concerned with his dog, or his actor drafts, or other random useless shite, than he is about Buffalo sports.

That said.

Sabre fans are coming off one of the more enjoyable, interesting seasons in awhile, and it's gonna be hard to just kind of "drop it" 2 days after the season ended. The sabres are terribly more interesting then the Bills are right now, and the lockout/picking 3rd knowing we're gonna get someone elite(knock on wood) has really kind of dulled the interest.

But I agree, Bulldog is passionate about Buffalo sports but comes off as a bumbling dope, and schopp doesn't like the Bills or really football and has admitted that, and is far more interested in other things unrelated to a sports talk show. It definitely can be difficult to listen to.

Sorry but the Sabres are not more interesting then the Bills this particular day. The Sabres season is over, they overachieved, if Phillie had a decent goalie the series would been over in 5 games. The Bills are in prime draft position. Save the Sabres talk for next week.

Exactly, these guys are an embarassment to their industry. I know the NCAA Tourney is not that big of deal around WNY but the day of the tourney I remember that moron bulldog openly bragged that he has not watched one game this year. Yeah I would be proud of that you dipshit. Schopp is the guy who was not good enough to play sports when he was a kid & probably got picked on daily. That is why he comes off as a prick 90% of the time.

I know it is all about the ratings and when you have no competition, it's kind of hard not to win the ratings battle, but the guy who should be fired is their boss. When your on-air personalities openly admit to not preparing for their job, isn't he the one that is ultimately responsible?

I bet there are hundreds of guys in the area who would kill for a chance to have their full-time job be to talk sports for a living, with the only prerequisite being that you need to KNOW YOUR SPORTS!

Edited by LabattBlue

I haven't listened to the afternoon show in about two years. Schopp is on record as saying he doesn't like football, the NFL, or the Buffalo Bills. He doesn't like the sport of football period -- he is very critical of it, thinks it's inferior to phenomena like hockey, tennis, popular culture, America Idol, reality shows,. etc. I would encourage football fans not to listen to the show.. unless you want to hear a third-rate intellectual talk about hockey & pop culture...

I haven't listened to the afternoon show in about two years. Schopp is on record as saying he doesn't like football, the NFL, or the Buffalo Bills. He doesn't like the sport of football period -- he is very critical of it, thinks it's inferior to phenomena like hockey, tennis, popular culture, America Idol, reality shows,. etc. I would encourage football fans not to listen to the show.. unless you want to hear a third-rate intellectual talk about hockey & pop culture...

He likes hockey only if it pertains to the Sabres and even then he is still not that informed. I would bet if you asked him to name 5 players on each NHL team, he'd screw up more than you would think for a guy who is a sports talk host in an NHL market.

The again, Mr. Mensa probably has them memorized from studying his hockey card collection. :lol:

Edited by LabattBlue

WECK had a hell of a predraft show.....turn the dial.

I don't think WGR55 is great, and as much as I want to like WECK, it isn't a lot better, IMO. Too much schtick...I didn't hear their pre-draft show...what was so good about it? I actually think Joe Buscalia, GR's draft guy, did a decent job too. He does pre-pare.

BTW- Yes, the NFL is a billion times more popular than the NHL, but not necessarily in WNY. And those of you unhappy about the lack of Bills talk on draft day will be thrilled to know, they are going to a Sabres PC today...state of the Sabres, and the announcement of a contract extension for Lindy Ruff...

Edited by Buftex

I listened to WECK a litle during the day (and all they were talking about was the draft) and then I listened to them all night through the draft. In addition to Brad, they had Bob Gaughan and Scott Wilson, who both know a lot about college football. I highly recommend their coverage tonight........Or even listening today to Nick or Brad. I'm sure they'll talk alot about the draft.

I don't think WGR55 is great, and as much as I want to like WECK, it isn't a lot better, IMO. Too much schtick...I didn't hear their pre-draft show...what was so good about it? I actually think Joe Buscalia, GR's draft guy, did a decent job too. He does pre-pare.

BTW- Yes, the NFL is a billion times more popular than the NHL, but not necessarily in WNY. And those of you unhappy about the lack of Bills talk on draft day will be thrilled to know, they are going to a Sabres PC today...state of the Sabres, and the announcement of a contract extension for Lindy Ruff...

I'm not up there anymore so I Stream WGR as much as I can...No matter what Sport is more popular in WNY I get the feeling most Folks are frustrated by the personalities, especially the afternoon personalities, being outwardly indifferent about The NFL and The Draft...To me it would be unacceptable as well...I'm in a bigger sports Market down here in Charlotte where College Basketball is pretty big, and the Local Sports Talk has been all about the NFL draft for over a Month now...I know the Panthers had the #1 Pick and Newton is quite the topic for conversation, but still...The fact that these guys are not REAL excited about any Draft for the NFL Team in their Town, when it's their job to discuss it...That's kind of sad...I'd kill for that job...And I'd find plenty of excitement within for both NHL and NFL talk...

'BTW I do have to say I still don't mind Howard Simon at all...Maybe it's the fact that I've been listening to the guy forever...I don't know...At least he comes across like he cares about The Bills...But the fact that WGR is SO married to the Sabres does make it a little tough to listen to at times if The Bills are your #1 Buffalo Sports priority... B-)

Still, it is the case that the Bills are HUGE in Buffalo. Bigger than the Sabres, even if it isn't by 50 times. It's kinda incumbent upon the leading sports radio station in the era to evince some enthusiasm for the nation's most popular sport and the area's most popular team.