WGR Afternoon Show

I'm not up there anymore so I Stream WGR as much as I can...No matter what Sport is more popular in WNY I get the feeling most Folks are frustrated by the personalities, especially the afternoon personalities, being outwardly indifferent about The NFL and The Draft...To me it would be unacceptable as well...I'm in a bigger sports Market down here in Charlotte where College Basketball is pretty big, and the Local Sports Talk has been all about the NFL draft for over a Month now...I know the Panthers had the #1 Pick and Newton is quite the topic for conversation, but still...The fact that these guys are not REAL excited about any Draft for the NFL Team in their Town, when it's their job to discuss it...That's kind of sad...I'd kill for that job...And I'd find plenty of excitement within for both NHL and NFL talk...

'BTW I do have to say I still don't mind Howard Simon at all...Maybe it's the fact that I've been listening to the guy forever...I don't know...At least he comes across like he cares about The Bills...But the fact that WGR is SO married to the Sabres does make it a little tough to listen to at times if The Bills are your #1 Buffalo Sports priority... B-)

Yeah, I agree with all that. I wish they were better too. GR55 has not had a good relationship with the Bills since the Tom Donohoe era. And, they are the Sabres flagship station.

Howard Simom is okay, but I used to like him more. I really can't stand Jeremy. He is incessantly arguing about everything, even when there is nothing to argue about. He is tiresome to listen to, like Schoop. What I do, mostly, is just listen to the audio vault stuff on GR55. I like to hear what Paul Hamilton has to say (though he is much better at covering hockey than he is football), and some of the other people. I am in the minority, I realize, but I used to actually like Chuck Dickersons' show on Mondays. He was real negative, but the guy knew football better than anyone on WNY radio. GR55 is just lacking in that area. As I said before, Joe Buscalia (sp?) does a decent job, and is obviously a college and pro football fanatic.

As for WECK, I guess I just don't get the love for Brad. He actually reminds me a lot of Schoop. He isn't as negative, but I don't think he is any more knowledgeable...I can't stand his "free form" rants...he sees himself as some sort of "artist" or something...it is not good radio, for me.

Maybe I am just getting old, but I used to live and breath all this stuff 24/7. Now, it just seems, analyzing the draft is fun, for about an hour, but until games are played, and we can see results, it is all just talk...most of it means nothing. None of the local guys are any brighter than some of the better posters here.

BTW, if you guys hate S&B's talk on the day of the draft, you should have heard them when they actually did the draft coverage!.........Nothing better than being all excited about the draft and having Schoop repeatedly say how stupid it is.

I gave up on local radio stations a long time ago, especially since I bought my Sirius and can get Sirius NFL radio, but I tuned in today just to get a feel for what Bills fans wanted in the draft..and what do I hear? Hockey offseason talk?

I was listening earlier, and they were making light of the fact that neither one of them knew much about the draft.

"That texas A& M LB seems good, I that D-Lineman from Alabama seems good"

These two clowns work in Buffalo, not New York. they have 2 professional sports teams to be responsible for, not 8. Tonight, in the NFL draft ( an event that will gain more viewership than the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals) the hometown Bills have the 3rd pick.

And these guys are making light of the fact that they haven't really been paying attention to the draft.

Bills are bad, I get that.

The Draft is a crapshoot, I get that.

The Sabres just lost a heartbreaking series 2 nights ago, I get that.

But not following the draft when you host a show in Buffalo and you only have 2 teams to worry about is unacceptable, and acting like it's a chore to even talk football is so typical of these clowns.

What do you want them to do - parrot what Kiper & Mayock say about specific players and pass it off as their own opinions? Because that's pretty much what everyone else does. I am more annoyed with guys who pay no attention to college football and then pretend to have a clue on the BC offensive tackle. It's a joke.

We all know what the Bills need (pretty much everything save a few positions). Hopefully they pick players who are going to be good at those positions. And hopefully they don't pick a RB/WR over a lineman unless they're the next Thurman Thomas or Andre Reed. And that's really all that needs to be said. There's no point in pretending like you know whether Clemson LB or USC LB is going to be a better pro.

BTW, if you guys hate S&B's talk on the day of the draft, you should have heard them when they actually did the draft coverage!.........Nothing better than being all excited about the draft and having Schoop repeatedly say how stupid it is.

Wow! That's REALLY sad...I bet Schoop would be more excited if it was an Actors Draft or maybe some kind of Food Draft...Or whatever it is they do...ON AIR sometimes...They always seem to get up for that stuff...If I was their Boss and I heard them get negative about the NFL Draft I would fire them in a half-a-heartbeat...For no reason other than it's a freaking SPORTS TALK Station in an NFL Market? How does ANY On-Air personality get away with saying the NFL Draft is stupid? That is insane... B-)

Guest three3

What do you want them to do - parrot what Kiper & Mayock say about specific players and pass it off as their own opinions? Because that's pretty much what everyone else does. I am more annoyed with guys who pay no attention to college football and then pretend to have a clue on the BC offensive tackle. It's a joke.

We all know what the Bills need (pretty much everything save a few positions). Hopefully they pick players who are going to be good at those positions. And hopefully they don't pick a RB/WR over a lineman unless they're the next Thurman Thomas or Andre Reed. And that's really all that needs to be said. There's no point in pretending like you know whether Clemson LB or USC LB is going to be a better pro.

how about they do what most of us have done and youtube some of the top prospects at need positions and attempt to develop their own opinions on some of those players? i gave up on that station a couple years back.

Use one of your buttons for AM 590 out of Toronto - their topics may not always be relevant - but often they are - they have real guests and real topics and they talk like adults....its almost like - sort of - sports talk for say ....smart people....

Wow! That's REALLY sad...I bet Schoop would be more excited if it was an Actors Draft or maybe some kind of Food Draft...Or whatever it is they do...ON AIR sometimes...They always seem to get up for that stuff...If I was their Boss and I heard them get negative about the NFL Draft I would fire them in a half-a-heartbeat...For no reason other than it's a freaking SPORTS TALK Station in an NFL Market? How does ANY On-Air personality get away with saying the NFL Draft is stupid? That is insane... B-)

I actually usually defend those guys here. And, don't mind that they weren't talking all draft all the time (although I was listening to Brad anyway)....But, to assign them those couple of years to BE THE draft coverage. That was horrible!

Well, they preempted Rome right now, and Bulldog went straight into the NFL Draft and Dareus. At least to begin with. Reasonably, there was a press conference with Ruff, Regier, Black and Pegula only an hour ago.

But Bulldog has been emphatic in his stating his intention to talk about the Draft today. :D

Feel the power of The Stadium Wall. :D Bask in the glory.

Given the history of our fights with WGR over the years, and the fact that we always win...all I have to say to the posters in this thread is: nice work!

how about they do what most of us have done and youtube some of the top prospects at need positions and attempt to develop their own opinions on some of those players? i gave up on that station a couple years back.

Yah, a youtube highlight reel put together by either the school or some frat guy is a solid scouting resource. Though I suppose the results couldn't have been worse than what the Bills have done post John Butler.

Still, it is the case that the Bills are HUGE in Buffalo. Bigger than the Sabres, even if it isn't by 50 times. It's kinda incumbent upon the leading sports radio station in the era to evince some enthusiasm for the nation's most popular sport and the area's most popular team.

…on the day of the draft in which the local team has the 3rd overall pick and a high pick in every round.

Just had to add that…

Glad I don't listen to GR…certain activities actually drain intelligence. There's about a million better things one could do with their time.

Guest three3

Yah, a youtube highlight reel put together by either the school or some frat guy is a solid scouting resource. Though I suppose the results couldn't have been worse than what the Bills have done post John Butler.

OK, then do the other thing that most of us have done: watch college football live

I can't stand Schopp, he's an angry person who is over-emotional when it comes to things, and also too calculated and cautious with his words, making sure always to correct himself for making any statement that someone might call him out on. But I rarely listen, mainly because of him. But I was subjected to his act today when in a waiting room and he was totally going out of his way to act clueless as a means to show his distain for the team and the sport. This is a guy who NEVER gets on the air about something he's passionate about without an opinion (and he's always right, everyone is wrong) and stand by it. So his design feigned ignorance today is intentional as means to distance himself from something he hates.

I listen to that station at other time but I refuse to turn it on between 3-6.

He can have his SJF degree (I guess he didn't realize Syracuse has one of the best journalism schools) in communications and his bully pulpit, he's still a working in a dying media town and still the most disliked personality on that channel. Ask everyone who listens, they agree!

Stop listening!

It's like we were twin sons of different mothers.....I wouldn't change one word of this post! +1

WGR broadcasts the Sabres so they love them as they are sort of in bed with the Sabres.

The Bills they have no connection to, so they bash them as there is nothing to lose

Now I'm back to my defending mode. You probably stopped listening 4 or more years ago. Since then, they are very critical of the Sabres (just go lower on the boards to the SabresSpace - they accuse GR and Paul Hamilton of always hating on the Sabres - it's funny, up here, they hate the Bills, down there, they hate the Sabres).

They have been very fair to both teams over the last few years.

That's what you get when you put a microphone in front of a dimwit with a lateral lisp.

Speaking of which, when's your next podcast?

Sorry. I don't mean it, but you floated that thing right in my wheelhouse.

Now I'm back to my defending mode. You probably stopped listening 4 or more years ago. Since then, they are very critical of the Sabres (just go lower on the boards to the SabresSpace - they accuse GR and Paul Hamilton of always hating on the Sabres - it's funny, up here, they hate the Bills, down there, they hate the Sabres).

They have been very fair to both teams over the last few years.

Agreed...And My feeling is bash away...That's what Local Sports Talk does some time...But TALK about The Bills and be pasionate about your Home Town Sports...Especially when one of the Sports is The NFL! And especially during the NFL peak times, the Draft being one of them...I figure if I can get my brain bashed in by Buffalo Bills Football year after year, and yet keep coming back every year for more, the least someone can do who is getting PAID to talk about it is ACT like they care... B-)

WECK/Brad has Tim Graham in studio right now. I think for the whole hour. Last hour, every time I got back in the car, he was talking draft, including a segment with a former 49er scout who still actively scouts. Very good stuff.

I gave up on local radio stations a long time ago, especially since I bought my Sirius and can get Sirius NFL radio, but I tuned in today just to get a feel for what Bills fans wanted in the draft..and what do I hear? Hockey offseason talk?

I was listening earlier, and they were making light of the fact that neither one of them knew much about the draft.

"That texas A& M LB seems good, I that D-Lineman from Alabama seems good"

These two clowns work in Buffalo, not New York. they have 2 professional sports teams to be responsible for, not 8. Tonight, in the NFL draft ( an event that will gain more viewership than the World Series or Stanley Cup Finals) the hometown Bills have the 3rd pick.

And these guys are making light of the fact that they haven't really been paying attention to the draft.

Bills are bad, I get that.

The Draft is a crapshoot, I get that.

The Sabres just lost a heartbreaking series 2 nights ago, I get that.

But not following the draft when you host a show in Buffalo and you only have 2 teams to worry about is unacceptable, and acting like it's a chore to even talk football is so typical of these clowns.

That's what happens when the Bills haven't competed for a championship in more than a decade... Just sayin...

Edited by mattsox