What's the best Pizza place in the city?

Bill Cowher

Bocce is the best - have it and you'll never go back. Every time I come to WNY for a game I make a point of buying 5 pizzas and bringing them back with me to freeze (even frozen and reheated it is light years better than just about anything else).

You're absolutely right. I had one and never went back. :thumbdown:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in Buffalo, and as much as they have great food, I'm not at all crazy about the standard Buffalo pizzeria pies. Buffalonians love that Bocce pizza. Yuck!

Can I see a legitimate copy of your original birth certificate? :devil:

Amen!

The only trick to wings is keeping them in long enough to crisp them up.

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

This is why I cannot get good wings. The simplest f-ing recipe in the world and every place screws it up.

Here's the "secret" - the trick to crispy wings is NOT over cooking them. That just makes them dry as a fart. They key is cooking them until they get a crispy (not for another 10 minutes AFTER they get crispy), and taking the deep fryer basket out of the deep fryer and hanging it over he hot oil for a couple of minutes before saucing them up. The cooked wings need to drain thoroughly after being bathed in hot oil.

You know why the wings you get are all rubbery? It's because the 18 year old "fry chef" has never been trained properly, and in one move, he takes the wings dripping with hot oil out of the fryer, throws 'em in the mixing bowl with sauce, and puts them on a plate or basket to go out to your table. They're not gonna be crisp.

The real Buffalo sauce - Franks hot sauce & margerine (or butter). THAT's it!!!!

No need for worstershire, cayenne pepper, BBQ sauce, vinegar, or whatever else. I mean, there's no law against it, but the real recipe is nothing more than 2 ingredients. Really!

Trust me.

Edited by DML2005

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!

This is why I cannot get good wings. The simplest f-ing recipe in the world and every place screws it up.

Here's the "secret" - the trick to crispy wings is NOT over cooking them. That just makes them dry as a fart. They key is cooking them until they get a crispy (not for another 10 minutes AFTER they get crispy), and taking the deep fryer basket out of the deep fryer and hanging it over he hot oil for a couple of minutes before saucing them up. The cooked wings need to drain thoroughly after being bathed in hot oil.

You know why the wings you get are all rubbery? It's because the 18 year old "fry chef" has never been trained properly, and in one move, he takes the wings dripping with hot oil out of the fryer, throws 'em in the mixing bowl with sauce, and puts them on a plate or basket to go out to your table. They're not gonna be crisp.

The real Buffalo sauce - Franks hot sauce & margerine (or butter). THAT's it!!!!

No need for worstershire, cayenne pepper, BBQ sauce, vinegar, or whatever else. I mean, there's no law against it, but the real recipe is nothing more than 2 ingredients. Really!

I've requested them crispy

Funny, because when we get them under-cooked and send them back, they just throw them in the fryer for another few minutes and then theyre great. So it seems like its that simple.

I believe you on the technique. But there are simpler solutions that have worked as well. I like my wing meat dry. Almost like a potato chip type snack. Im not trying to get juicy, succulent meat here.

Can I see a legitimate copy of your original birth certificate? :devil:

I didn't say I was born in Buffalo. You're fired!

You know it's funny the way these kids today are raised on this food. I never had a chicken wing until I worked in a pizza place at the age of 17 (back in the day).

Never seen such a thing. I thought, "what the hell are those things?" Now, they're a worldwide phenomenon. Don't think I tried pizza until I was around 9 or 10 years of age. We had the traditional stay at home mom making pork chops, chicken, steak, or whatever. It was a rare occasion that we ate out and had any sort of fast food, and then it was usually something like Pat's or Ted's hot dogs. Once in while Gleason's drive-in on da Boulevard dere(remember dat one!)

The kids today are raised on fast food. Disgusting!

Do you get the half-baked version? I know they offer some sort of travel set up where they prep it for you to take with you though I never see any details on their website how it works or if it costs more.

They do have a half baked and I've done that, but the assumption is that you'll ake the entire pie in the oven when you're ready for it - I don't usually do that. I buy fully baked pizza, take it home and individually wrap each slice in that freezer cling wrap and then put it into freezer bags. Then I can ration out my "gold" little by little and make it last as long as possible.

The half baked option doesn't cost any more than the normal. If you have a pie sent via FedEx (which I've also done - good but very pricy) they'll ship it half baked.

Since you will be in NT, there is a place I believe on the corner of Nash Rd and Ruie called "Good Guys" (I think thats the name). I am a big Pizza Junction fan and the guys that own "Good Guys" use to work at Junction. Had it when I was there last year and it was awesome!

Funny, because when we get them under-cooked and send them back, they just throw them in the fryer for another few minutes and then theyre great. So it seems like its that simple.

I believe you on the technique. But there are simpler solutions that have worked as well. I like my wing meat dry. Almost like a potato chip type snack. Im not trying to get juicy, succulent meat here.

Then for your taste, yeah, they need to be cooked to a crisp. My wife is like that - she likes her chicken (actually most meat) cooked until it's like shoe leather. I don't get it. The juices are what give it flavor.

I like the wings crispy on the outside, but still somewhat moist on the inside.

But anyway, my point regarding the cooking is that it doesn't take a lot of extra time to get them crisp. Drain the residual oil off of them. Enjoy your chicken wing jerky.

Santora's on Transit in West Seneca is my new favorite.

Imperial Pizza in South Buffalo (loaded pie), could be the best.

My sister works in the kitchen there! (Santora's)

Edited by Wacka

Since you will be in NT, there is a place I believe on the corner of Nash Rd and Ruie called "Good Guys" (I think thats the name). I am a big Pizza Junction fan and the guys that own "Good Guys" use to work at Junction. Had it when I was there last year and it was awesome!

Pizza Junction -NT!

Every Buffalo pizza I've had has that sweet sauce. In other words, Buffalo doesn't know how to do Pizza IMO. Then again, I prefer a "fancier" pizza anyway. But if I'm going tomato base, it ain't sweet!

Edited by dayman