3 Days Togo; Bills rumors of 4/25...

Peter King reported today-- a team picking in the first round of the draft has a deal on the table with a team trying to come back into the first round. The team King believes is of course--the Pats.

The possible deal will reportedly have:

-the team trading to get the Pats 17th selection

-Patriots would recieve the second round pick in 2011 & first round selection in 2012

Overall, rumors recently have the Bills considering trading back into the first--along with several other teams; Bengals, Titans, Cardinals & Vikings.

***My opinion, please no!***

----------------------------------------------------

In other news, Panthers GM Marty Hurney "hinted" today (nothing new) that the Panthers will take a quarterback with the first-overall pick in the draft. This sparked Sal Paolantonio of ESPN to talk about the ongoing Panthers/Newton marriage (which we already know)...Sal, explains it gives the team a much needed "shot in the arm" (which again, we already know)...

BUT, Paolantonio points a rumor that the Redskins want to move up into the 3-5 spot to secure Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert...

If Gabbert falls to the 3rd overall and the Bills do decide to tade with the Skins..the Bills would receive the 10th pick, along with other picks to be decided on--in the 2011 or 2012 drafts!

Going along with King's rumor above, Paolantonio believes the Buffalo Bills will attempt to move back into the first round to take a quarterback, if they pass one up at 3.

***My opinion, I wish the Bills stay put--I've witnessed the JP, Loseman & McTurdo trade ups--I say, NO!***

GO BILLS!

Edited by KollegeStudnet

Actually, a really good scenario is plausible here that I like a lot.

If the Bills trade down to 10 with Washington, then they could still get a stud prospect for the D (like Fairley or Quinn) or even at WR or OT and then use the extra picks they get from Wash to package a deal to get back into the first at 17 and take Ponder or Mallet (I prefer Mallet). I think we could pick up Wash 2nd this year and first next year giving us the ammo to get back into the first and still have a 2nd round pick this year (either our own or Washington's depending which one we traded) and a first next year (again either our own or Washington's depending which we traded).

I would love this draft, at least this part of it.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Just take the best guy at 3. We need a stud with that pick. We got a whole team of guys that are pretty good and might be good someday. The only possible studs I see on our team are Lee Evans, Kyle Williams, Jarius Byrd maybe, Terrence McGee, Fred Jackson, and Brian Moorman. With the exception of Moorman, the rest are questionable. Look at the good teams, they have studs. Steelers (as much as I hate 'em) have Big Ben, Hiney, James Harrison, Hedley Lamar, Mendenhall, Randel El etc.

The great Bills teams had Kelly, Thomas, Biscuit, Bruce, Hulldozer, Reed, Lofton. You know, studs. You gotta have studs to win in the NFL. We don't have any.

We need to go for Quality over Quantity in this draft.

Just say NO to trading down.

Edited by reddogblitz

My feeling is that the Bills have Dareus #1 and Miller #2. If either one is available at 3, they take him. If both are gone, then I think the Bills will be open to trading down.

The Skins would be ideal because there will still be several really good D players available at #10, in particular, Cam Jordan, who I think (trying to parse Nixley's statements here) the Bills hold in high regard. Picking Jordan at 3 (if Dareus and Miller were gone) would bring a world of criticism, I believe (and a quite high contract). But at 10, it would be much more acceptable. Plus the Bills would pick up another slot in this draft, and perhaps another high one next year.

This fascination with drafting a QB is getting annoying. I haven't seen a single QB in this draft that is worth the hype being thrown at them. IMO, this years class is flat out mediocre. As if that wasn't enough, here's the thing I wish people would focus on: drafting a QB gets us absolutely nowhere this year. No rookie is going to come in and outperform Fitz this year or next. It's just not going to happen. For God sakes, get an impact defensive player that can help us stop the !@#$ing run. Our run defense is as porous as a freaking colander and we're drooling over QB's.

This fascination with drafting a QB is getting annoying. I haven't seen a single QB in this draft that is worth the hype being thrown at them. IMO, this years class is flat out mediocre. As if that wasn't enough, here's the thing I wish people would focus on: drafting a QB gets us absolutely nowhere this year. No rookie is going to come in and outperform Fitz this year or next. It's just not going to happen. For God sakes, get an impact defensive player that can help us stop the !@#$ing run. Our run defense is as porous as a freaking colander and we're drooling over QB's.

Exactly how I feel.

If the offense was better at scoring points and staying on the field, the opposition would not be able to simply line up and smash the ball at our defense for the entire game trying to burn clock. Our Run defense numbers are poor in part because the offense sucks.

For the Bills to trade back into the 1st round to get a 2nd tier QB is as absurd as when we did that to draft Losman, with Matt Schaub just sitting there when we would have picked 2nd. Don't trade back into round 1 to get a project-we did that in 2004, don't do it again. It's better to see who is available when we draft in the 2nd round and not pull another Losman (or McCargo).

Here's another reason to avoid a 1st round QB-Are you willing to tell Fitzpatrick that 2011 is his last season in Buffalo? That's what selecting a QB at #3 or trading back into the 1st round does. There's no way you're paying 1st round money & then re-signing Fitz unless he's willing to play & get paid as the backup.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

This notion is out there among a lot of NFL scouts as well, I gather.

Yes please - don't reach Bills - if there's not a great QB - hold off and get a stud somewhere else.

If the offense was better at scoring points and staying on the field, the opposition would not be able to simply line up and smash the ball at our defense for the entire game trying to burn clock. Our Run defense numbers are poor in part because the offense sucks.

What..! I hope your joking...Even if our offense sucked, if the defense stops the run and commits 3 and outs more often then the offense ( No matter how bad ) would be on the field longer...They smash the ball at us because they know they can..!

What..! I hope your joking...Even if our offense sucked, if the defense stops the run and commits 3 and outs more often then the offense ( No matter how bad ) would be on the field longer...They smash the ball at us because they know they can..!

Our offense DID suck. We had the second worst offense in the NFL. So many people want to make Fitz sound like he played like a superstar. He didn't. We still did not score often enough. Still too many turnovers and not enough sustained drives. Teams ran against us because they had the lead.

I am not saying the defense was great, but you cannot bury your head in the sand and think that all they need to do is draft a few defensive players and the problems are solved.

Also, we drafted Troup and Carrington last year, we have Dwan Edwards, Merriman and Andra Davis (Danny Batten too) coming back from injury and Moats ready to play more. I think some attention needs to be paid to Offense. We need a franchise QB, OT and TE.

Our offense DID suck. We had the second worst offense in the NFL. So many people want to make Fitz sound like he played like a superstar. He didn't. We still did not score often enough. Still too many turnovers and not enough sustained drives. Teams ran against us because they had the lead.

I am not saying the defense was great, but you cannot bury your head in the sand and think that all they need to do is draft a few defensive players and the problems are solved.

Also, we drafted Troup and Carrington last year, we have Dwan Edwards, Merriman and Andra Davis (Danny Batten too) coming back from injury and Moats ready to play more. I think some attention needs to be paid to Offense. We need a franchise QB, OT and TE.

The Bills braintrust has made it no secret that their top priority is bolstering the front-seven of a defense that was undone by injuries and had difficulty making the switch to a 3-4 scheme. Buffalo allowed 200 yards rushing eight times last year, and 2,714 overall—the second-highest total in team history. The 425 points allowed was also second worst.

To make matters worse, the Bills were unable to generate a consistent pass rush, failing to fill the loss of Aaron Schobel(notes), who was cut in August after Buffalo couldn’t wait any longer for the veteran player to decide on whether to retire.

Even though the Defense was this bad we were in all but two games to the end thanks to the offense...However I will agree with you and agree with myself, therefore we should make the offense and defense better..They all suck..! Why are we even arguing who sucks more..? The entire team sucks..!

Take the defensive stud at 3, and hope all the others panic and take the QB's. Then a nice defensive player or OT slides to us in the second round.

That doesn't need to happen for a great defensive player or OT to get to Buffalo at 34. There will be very good defensive linemen and at least 1 potential starting OT there.

OK first off get your facts straight, we had the 24th Ranked offense. Yes I realize that does suck but its not second to last. Second, consider this: our Defense could never get off the field.....we got gouged in the run game and teams would just kill the clock on us every second half of any game we were losing. We got killed in time of possesion because the defense couldn't get off the field which caused our Offense to sit and watch. Give me a defense that can get off the field and give the offense more opportunities. If the defense gets better....so will our offensive numbers. Fitz played great last year, it wasn't his fault. We can win with Fitz. :thumbsup:

Edited by Stl Bills