9 minute interview with Mike Mayock...........A LOT to think about

I'll sum it up for you if you don't feel like listening.

Early in the interview he said "It's my gut feeling, but i don't know how great Cam Newton wants to be. He has the ability, but something tells me that he will be content to be a millionaire who is just pretty good."

The last question asked of him was....

"Who will be the first player in this draft to make the All-Pro team"

First two names out of his mouth.......Von Miller or Marcel Dareus.

Nothing some of us haven't heard before, but definitely more fuel to the fire for those against taking the Newton risk.

Listen here http://www.danpatrick.com/2011/04/25/nfl-networks-mike-mayock-raises-questions-about-newton-mallett/

Mayock's opinion carries the most weight of all the draft "experts" in my opinion. I suspect Newton's stock is going to drop. I bet he doesn't get drafted until the middle to late 1st round.

Sold on Newton - I hope not!! Decide for yourself . . . go to espn.com; search Gruden on Newton. Gruden does this with all the major QBs - do it for Gabbert, Ponder etc.

When Gruden asked Newton to give an example of "the verbiage at Auburn", to give his favorite play call, all Newton could do/say was sigh/exhale and say "Boy, you really put me on the spot", umm "36". That's it!!! 36!!! SERIOUSLY. It took him over a minute to come up with that. Talk about uncomfortable pauses!!! Taking him as our QB would be like you or me taking over as QB and saying this in the huddle, "Stevie, run a slant towards our bench: Lee, run a post; Roscoe do a 10-yard out and Stuppar, stay in and block" There are calls for all these routes - abbreviations for the jobs to be carried out on every play - He either lacks the intellect to do the QB job, or he doesn't care enough to get proficient at it - this should be enough to disqualify him for any of our picks - I'd accept him as an undrafted FA - but that's it!!.

Gruden gave great examples of some of his offense's play calls and was talking about how confusing and complicated they have become - that's when he asked for a sample of the Auburn verbiage. "36"!!! Yikes!!

Maybe the guy is a great athlete, but unless we're taking Fitz's brain and putting it into Newtons head - we need to SAY we're gonna draft him and promptly draft someone/anyone else when our pick comes up at 3. The future will tell us for sure - but we need a LOCK at 3. Mayock also wondered how much he yearns to be great - Can you say "Offensive Tackle Mike Williams". Maybe one of the nicest guys the Bills ever drafted - but he's no Football Player!! We need to be sure the guy we draft says "Football is my life" - Miller or Dareus will be fine - One of them should be available.

Final word - Stay away from Newton, very far away!!

Sold on Newton - I hope not!! Decide for yourself . . . go to espn.com; search Gruden on Newton. Gruden does this with all the major QBs - do it for Gabbert, Ponder etc.

When Gruden asked Newton to give an example of "the verbiage at Auburn", to give his favorite play call, all Newton could do/say was sigh/exhale and say "Boy, you really put me on the spot", umm "36". That's it!!! 36!!! SERIOUSLY. It took him over a minute to come up with that. Talk about uncomfortable pauses!!! Taking him as our QB would be like you or me taking over as QB and saying this in the huddle, "Stevie, run a slant towards our bench: Lee, run a post; Roscoe do a 10-yard out and Stuppar, stay in and block" There are calls for all these routes - abbreviations for the jobs to be carried out on every play - He either lacks the intellect to do the QB job, or he doesn't care enough to get proficient at it - this should be enough to disqualify him for any of our picks - I'd accept him as an undrafted FA - but that's it!!.

Gruden gave great examples of some of his offense's play calls and was talking about how confusing and complicated they have become - that's when he asked for a sample of the Auburn verbiage. "36"!!! Yikes!!

Maybe the guy is a great athlete, but unless we're taking Fitz's brain and putting it into Newtons head - we need to SAY we're gonna draft him and promptly draft someone/anyone else when our pick comes up at 3. The future will tell us for sure - but we need a LOCK at 3. Mayock also wondered how much he yearns to be great - Can you say "Offensive Tackle Mike Williams". Maybe one of the nicest guys the Bills ever drafted - but he's no Football Player!! We need to be sure the guy we draft says "Football is my life" - Miller or Dareus will be fine - One of them should be available.

Final word - Stay away from Newton, very far away!!

Or, that's the offense auburn ran.

I agree that he's got a chance to bust, but I also think there's a chance he's great. Hes a big risk for sure, and could hurt our team if drafted. The problem I have with a lot of his bashers, is that they say he can't run a pro style offense. He may not be able too, but saying he can't is off base in my book. If we draft him, he'll sit for a year, hopefully soaking up some of fitzs brain and learning the offense and terminology from chan. He may pick it up, he may not. But don't say he can't, because that something you have no clue about. Maybe a hunch. If we do draft him, I think it's because chan and nix think he's intelligent enough to pick things up and is coachable. If he's available and we pass, it's because they have the same hunch as you. Just my opinion.

Anyone remember how Von Miller played in the Senior Bowl? He looked like he was on fast-forward while everyone else was in slo-mo.

PTR

Yeah it was pretty insane how above their league he appeared to be. You bringing this up makes me even more excited/nervous to see what happens thursday.

Mayock's opinion carries the most weight of all the draft "experts" in my opinion. I suspect Newton's stock is going to drop. I bet he doesn't get drafted until the middle to late 1st round.

9 minutes? Mayock has bee yammering on about Newton for like 9 weeks. We get it.

Mayock is still smarting over his blown Jamarcus Russell pick. Every black QB he sees for the next ten years is going to get the Cam Newton treatment.

Well I am not a big Newton Fan. If I was in the draft room I would vote againest taking at all no matter what round. But I'm not in the room and they Never call me and ask me who they should draft. So right now I am just waiting for Thursday night and I will just have too trust the front office too pick the right guy for our beloved team. I am sort of thinking Von or a DT. Go Bills. Hope there is football to watch this year.

for the bills? Dareus or Von Miller for sure. Either one will start at a much needed position on day one and vastly improve our defense. Not a Spiller or a Maybin.

Totally agree. Von MIller first, then Dareus. If we can't get either, then we are screwed.

9 minutes? Mayock has bee yammering on about Newton for like 9 weeks. We get it.

Mayock is still smarting over his blown Jamarcus Russell pick. Every black QB he sees for the next ten years is going to get the Cam Newton treatment.

Why does race always have to come into play? Then again, I wouldn't expect much more from you.

The guy has never played anything remotely like NFL QB, he breaks down on "swag," and he's generally a guy that has done things in the past that while not terrible show he is not fully committed to football. The question about if he will work as hard as he needs to, in order to make up for his short comings is valid. Might he? Maybe. But I agree w/ Mayock. He's got the tools, more than say a Tebow...but Tebow literally (I can produce the link if someone MUST have it won't look for it now) has been working 6-7 hours a day (7 days a week) taking nothing but snaps from under center and throwing from the pocket this offseason. He says himself he's gotten WAY better just during this offseason.

The guy has never played anything remotely like NFL QB, he breaks down on "swag," and he's generally a guy that has done things in the past that while not terrible show he is not fully committed to football. The question about if he will work as hard as he needs to, in order to make up for his short comings is valid. Might he? Maybe. But I agree w/ Mayock. He's got the tools, more than say a Tebow...but Tebow literally (I can produce the link if someone MUST have it won't look for it now) has been working 6-7 hours a day (7 days a week) taking nothing but snaps from under center and throwing from the pocket this offseason. He says himself he's gotten WAY better just during this offseason.

This has to be the most petty reason as to why we shouldn't get Cam. I don't care if he breaks the huddle saying "Lima Bean Cassorle" if he wins games. I can't take your argument seriously after your first reason.

This has to be the most petty reason as to why we shouldn't get Cam. I don't care if he breaks the huddle saying "Lima Bean Cassorle" if he wins games. I can't take your argument seriously after your first reason.

Blah blah. As if I present that as some dispositive factor. Point is his mindset seems to be more swag and improve and less work and humble. Mayock seems to agree. I agree w/ Mayock's "gut" feeling. If you don't fine. Get over it. Whine about Cam some more why don't you. I've seen more Cam than anyone here. I've watched him at practice from 10 ft. away for an entire fall of college football. Nobody has any idea how he'll work in the NFL, but IMO there are guys who will outwork him and it will make all the difference.