Raleigh, NC area members

Wacka

Looks like there was some very bad tornados that went through the Research Triangle area of NC. I know a lot of people from Buffalo moved down there. Are you guys OK? How close did the twisters come to you?

We're ok here in Fayetteville. 10 minutes away looks like Baghdad though. My wife's school is the elementary school that they've been talking about on the news. She actually just transferred there on Friday, effective in August. It will be closed for the remainder of the school year with the students to possibly be displaced throughout the rest of the district. Hopefully it opens back up in August (which it should). It's a miracle that there's only 1 reported death in Cumberland County right now, although that number is unfortunately going to change.

I've never seen the sky that color before and hope to never again. The twister moved through town (Holly Springs) about a mile away from my house yesterday, but I just ended up with a few tree limbs down in my yard. I drove through the other side of town this morning and it's like a bomb went off in some neighborhoods.

Glad you're ok. Here in Hope Mills, we didn't even sustain damage to some freshly planted trees... But as you said, down the road, its as if you're in a war zone, and I mean that literally.

I just saw all this on the news -- they were talking about local flooding up here yesterday but I didn't realize the storm had been so bad down South. They showed that one Lowes (several thousand sf building) that was basically completely trashed. Wild.

Glad y'all are ok.

The storms were overhyped for much of central NC...

I live about an hour east of Raleigh, we actually got it a little worse according to the news; Greensboro and the Piedmont Triad area. There were some minor tornados reported (none are ever that worrysome) but the straight line winds were rough. There were no injuries in this area according to the news.

I live about an hour east of Raleigh, we actually got it a little worse according to the news; Greensboro and the Piedmont Triad area. There were some minor tornados reported (none are ever that worrysome) but the straight line winds were rough. There were no injuries in this area according to the news.

We have had winds here too but not straight line. I will keep everyone in my prayers as they deal with

their clean up.

Are you near Wilson, and if so what have you seen or heard about the area?

Are you near Wilson, and if so what have you seen or heard about the area?

Wilson is not the Raleigh area... it is more near Greenville and Rocky Mount. The Eastern portion of NC is much flatter and will get these types of storms.

Here in the Piedmont Triad we often don't face the same weather issues, and Raleigh didn't get blasted as much as what you'd think. The news here is funny. When we did get a tornado in our area here where I live the news covered the same 1/2 block from 5 angles. The trailer homes destroyed made it look epic and when they showed the old run down steel building structure having a piece of metal ripped off - well, you thought it was bad, too. Our severe storms here are not like they were in Ohio. Our ice storms and lightning, though, watch out!

Eastern NC has had some of the heaviest rans I have ever experienced, with some of the most bizzare weather patterns, too.

Wilson is not the Raleigh area... it is more near Greenville and Rocky Mount. The Eastern portion of NC is much flatter and will get these types of storms.

Here in the Piedmont Triad we often don't face the same weather issues, and Raleigh didn't get blasted as much as what you'd think. The news here is funny. When we did get a tornado in our area here where I live the news covered the same 1/2 block from 5 angles. The trailer homes destroyed made it look epic and when they showed the old run down steel building structure having a piece of metal ripped off - well, you thought it was bad, too. Our severe storms here are not like they were in Ohio. Our ice storms and lightning, though, watch out!

Eastern NC has had some of the heaviest rans I have ever experienced, with some of the most bizzare weather patterns, too.

Wilson has tough luck with weather. Back in '99 we got hit with a hurricane that put half the town under water. My back yard was 4 ft deep and in some areas the buildings were completely under water. Where Bills BBQ is, it looked like a giant lake with the Bills sign sticking up out of the middle.

In the link I posted above, the damage is spread out all over the city. I'm guessing they got it as bad as anywhere.

It may seem to others as if you are minimizing the storm's damage. Trust me, the storm was as bad as it gets. Not the lives lost as was the case with Katrina in New Orleans, but it was bad for folks in Fayetteville, Sanford, Holly Springs, and those places in Bertie County. Specifically in the Fayetteville area, there are hundreds who are homeless and hundreds more who will have their houses condemned by the time it's all said and done. My wife's new school was literally destroyed. I have some good friends in that building too. Us teachers stick out for each other. From the areal shots of the school, my friend's kindergarten room is one of the two rooms without a top. The counterpart to my job at that school lost her room too. This one hit home and it has not been "overblown" in the least bit. We will need every bit of disaster assistance possible, on a volunteer level, local level, state level, and federal level.

Since I've never been through an F3 tornado before I don't know what kind of damage people might think, but trust me it's very bad in some parts of Wake county and across the rest of central NC.

I live in NW part of raleigh, had lots of pea size hail and winds. I found debris in the yard that clearly came from homes and buildings however on my side of town do not see any home damage so clearly came from likely the sanford area were a lowes hardware store was ripped apart. Amazing no one was seriously hurt in that one. 22 dead is pretty bad. The sky was weird all day but for those that were here in 1988 the sky and air was much queerer that day than saturday. Folks in Southeast Raleigh , Holly Springs, Rolesville took alot of the damage around raleigh and as corp mention lots of damage in cumberland county. I think i saw 4 schools closed indefinitely due to the storms and many are still without power and homes. Thank god the weather yesterday and today is lovely however more rain and storms expected later this week so alot of work for people to secure belongings and try to batten down what is left.

Thanks for all the concerns. ok here in far west Cary. Line of storms split into super cells right where we lived & went just north & south of us. The devistation around the area is amazing. All those years in Kansas and never saw a storm like this one.

I live in Holly Springs and luckily we didn't have any damage at our home, but if you drive through to the backside of our subdivision, there were many downed trees, lots of damaged homes, cars, etc. I haven't heard of any deaths in Holly Springs, but that was the craziest weather that I've seen. It's amazing how quickly the area went from okay to destroyed.

Bertie County is in north eastern NC and is pretty rural.

It also had 1/2 the reported deaths 11 of 22 and is one of the poorest counties in the state. Do not let anyone tell ya this wasnt a bad ass storm it was and the news coverage is NOT overplaying the destruction. Some tornadoes were f3 and others f4, the one that went thru downtown area was very wide.

I have to take offense to your attitude about the Raleigh area. Here in Holly Springs, it just missed our neighborhood and headed up Holly Springs Road. Along that road the next day people were cutting 3 foot wide if not larger oak trees off of their homes, which are now flattened. On a road right across from my son's neighborhood, three brick houses are no longer there. Very large trees are just snapped in half along its path. In North Raleigh, an entire neighborhood is gone, with several dead including three children, don't tell me things weren't as bad here.

Its easy to see it on TV and say it wasn't too bad, but when you are out and about your own home town and see the damage first hand, its horrible.