Poll on whether Fitz is the right guy or not

Can We Win a Championship with Fitz at QB?  

194 members have voted

1. 1. Can We Win a Championship with Fitz at QB?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, but only if the Defense is Dominating

I think we can. I don't think the defense has to be dominating. I think they have to be much better, but they do not have to be the 2000 Ravens (or was it 2001?). I think that Fitzpatrick will be everything we could get out of any other QB with a FULL Training Camp and Preseason as the Number 1 guy. I've watched all the tape from this past season, and I think that he just has "it." I understand that he does't have the physical tools that Peyton and Brady have, but thats alright. He has plenty of tools that will lead him to success in this league. He has a more than adequate arm, his footwork is excellent, his leadership skills are tremendous, and he makes players around him better. David Nelson had an excellent season, so did Stevie Johnson because of Fitz. The team just seemed to play harder when he came in from week 3 forward. There is so much to be said for having a full season and then a full TC under your belt before taking the field in the opening weekend. The timing and chemistry between yourself and every player, not just the WRs, is so much better and more fluid. The guys will begin to see the same things that Fitz sees and will anticipate his checks at the LOS, they'll be able to be one additional step ahead because they'll have seen it and thought about it before he makes the call, instead of reacting to the call when its made. I like Fitz. I think he is more than capable of taking this team places. I am excited to him lead the Bills, I hope for the next 5-7 years.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we need to have a once in a dacade type defense, and get lucky, to win with Fitz. That means we need 8-10 new defensive starters, and retaining some OK starters as backups. We also need new defensive coaches and a better running game.

that said I think Fitz is a better option than drafting one this year.

Considering the coaching staff doesn't think he is tells me no. Teams who have QB's that are the right guy to lead them to a championship don't go out looking for his replacement when he is only 28 years old. The staff, FO, Nix, etc have consistently said they want to find that guy who can be the man for 10 years. Considering Fitz is only 28, he could easily be the man for 10 years in todays NFL, if they thought he was good enough to do so.

He may be good enough to be a game manager with a great defense, but that is a much much harder way to win in todays NFL which is a QB driven league. Your D needs to be special to be able to have a shot at that, and even then it is quite difficult to do and has rarely been done in the modern era. We would need way more players to make that happen.

Also, accuracy and a low turnover ratio are important to being a game manager, two areas Fitz has struggled with.

I agree with the OP, I think he's the right guy for now. I don't know about long-term but I would like him for the next 2-4 years. And no I don't think we need a dominant defense, just an improved one. Our defense was abysmal last year and yet look at some of the games we almost won with him. I really think we need to give him a chance after a full off-season of working with Chan (not entirely sure how the lockout will effect this though). And the question I would pose is if he's not then who is? I personally like Gabbert but I could be dead wrong and he could turn out to be a bust. We probably won't be drafting him anyway.

I would say not only if the defense is dominant, but also they have a dominant offensive line, running game, and game breaking receivers.

This post is short and sweet and exactly what I was thinking prior to reading it! Last year even with the same defense and a upgraded O-Line, and WR's they probably would've won another 4 games! If the Bills select Marcell Dareus in the 1st and couple of linebackers, DE, that are all impact players we could do some damage!

Fitz has never been "the guy". He has always been a backup. I want to see what he does when someone gives him the keys to the offense. The players respect him and play their hearts out for him. I feel as though if given the chance he will do good. And that means going an entire offseason with him as the man.

With the version of Fitz we have now, my answer is no, we cannot win a super bowl with him at QB. He is too inaccurate and he turns the ball over too many times.

But I am a fan of his. He is still young, and he is tough, fearless, and doesn't get rattled by mistakes. I also think that right now he is better than anyone in the draft. Most importantly, I am very optimistic that there is great room for improvement, especially with Chan as HC. I think in two or three years he could improve to pro-bowl level, or maybe near pro-bowl level, which is absolutely good enough to lead a team to a super bowl.

I think he can absolutely. But he will need the supporting cast. and that might take awhile to develop. But sure, he could keep us from losing if it came to that. This coming year, depending on whether we go first round qb, is the first year he "has the keys" and all of Chan's focus. Could be a defining year for him i bet.

hes definitely the guy for now. can you win a championship with him? i dont know, maybe? stranger things have happened. if we get a better Oline and the transition to the 3-4 happens sooner than later, he can. if you think a guy like Cassel can lead the Cheifs to the SB, you would have to believe that Fitz could as well. i think he may need some bigger, more physical receivers than what he has. hes not the most accurate guy.

He has a noodle arm?? I can still see the pass in the end zone to Johnson against Pittsburg. On the money in a pressure situation. He has earned an opportunity and can be our starter for many years. He is tough and super smart. May the ---- be with him. [can't remember how that goes]

Fitz has heart, but he's not going to lead the Bills or any other team into contention.

That said, I'd keep Fitz as starter instead of taking a QB in the 1st. If Dalton is still on the board in the 2nd, he's worth a shot. Ricky Stanzi in the 4th or 5th is another possibility.

here we go. No one here can really say what his potential is. He came in as a backup. His offensive line SUcKED and he was constantly under pressure with blown assignments. And the receivers, all kids who may or may not run the right patterns. He did not know who his RT was going to be half the time. And his passing attempts were alot of high risk stuff that depended on the receiver. He threw some poop balls no doubt.

I want a franchise qb too. But the question is could he take us on a strong run at the Big one.

How the heck can we know? everyone sucked last year and it was a get to know each other thing with players and coaches.

The qb cannot carry the team although he tried. It really is going to be a defining season for the players and coaches.

I might be delusional but i am not stupid. lol!

Edited by 3rdand12

I can't believe the results of the poll.

I like Fitz. I like him a lot. But the polls topic is about him winning a super bowl, am I not correct? There's more people (so far) that think he can win a SB without a dominating defense, then there are that think he needs a dominant defense to win one. I just can't fathom how thats the case. If he had a good defense, I think we have a slight chance to make the playoffs. If we have a dominating defense I think there's a slight chance we can make a run at a super bowl. I voted no. I don't think, even with a dominating defense, that he can lead us to a super bowl. And I'm a big fan of his. I just don't see him getting it done in a tough afc. Getting to the playoffs is his super bowl IMO.

Beating a dead horse here, but wow, the results are staggering IMO.

I can't believe the results of the poll.

I like Fitz. I like him a lot. But the polls topic is about him winning a super bowl, am I not correct? There's more people (so far) that think he can win a SB without a dominating defense, then there are that think he needs a dominant defense to win one. I just can't fathom how thats the case. If he had a good defense, I think we have a slight chance to make the playoffs. If we have a dominating defense I think there's a slight chance we can make a run at a super bowl. I voted no. I don't think, even with a dominating defense, that he can lead us to a super bowl. And I'm a big fan of his. I just don't see him getting it done in a tough afc. Getting to the playoffs is his super bowl IMO.

Beating a dead horse here, but wow, the results are staggering IMO.

Totally 100% agree...I just don't know what some Bills Fans are seeing out there anymore...Personally I think it's simply the fact that Fitz was so much better last year than JP or Trent had been, Bills Fans forgot what it was like to see decent QB play...But if they think this Team can be a Championship Team with Fitz at QB they've completely lost their minds...Being better than Trent and JP still means next to nothing in the grand scheme of things...Championship QB's have to be SO much better than what Fitz showed last Season...And if Gailey and Nix think Fitz is the answer even with a decent Defense, mark my words, it will cost them their jobs long term...

As much as I would like to believe differently, no way is Ryan Fitzpatrick a Championship caliber QB...Just no way in hell...And like you I'm shocked so many Bills Fans think it's a real possibility...Just shocked to be honest...B-)

I would say not only if the defense is dominant, but also they have a dominant offensive line, running game, and game breaking receivers.

Fitz can be the right guy, but I highly doubt he will succeed with a lame coaching staff, lame team surrounding him.

The guy stepped on the field and took charge of the offense, he called protections and found the open receiver very quickly. With that quick release and almost instant recognition of the open receiver he negated the pass rush most of the time. It wasn't until he faced really good teams like the Jets, that suddenly that O line looked very below average. If you listen to both Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey they both say the O line is fine as is....while clearly that O line isn't fine against good teams. That O line still needs a RT-LT-G and a decent blocking / receiving TE. The only position that really changed all last year was RT, and yet the team regressed badly in the run

The Bills were in a bunch of blowout losses last season, and one could argue that Fitz had good stats from garbage time play. But then don't forget that the Bills almost beat 3 playoff teams in the Ravens-Steelers-Chiefs in OT, with one of the worst Buffalo Bills defenses ever, and no running game.

Go back and watch that Jets game from last year, Fitz was the leading rusher because he was running for his life every snap. If the Bills fail to upgrade that O line, I don't see Fitz surviving the season. If he gets hit like Edwards got hit in Arizona, the Bills could be drafting Andrew Luck next year.

Anyway, after watching Fitz work some magic last year I have complete faith he could take a team to a championship, but he can't do it without the proper support.... If he never gets that proper support we will never know if he can further develop into a top QB

Edited by Harvey lives