Andrew Luck

Thoner7

I thought this was pretty interesting:

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/37855/football-scientist-kc-joyner

Daniel (NYC)

Are Andrew Luck, Landry Jones and Matt Barkley better than any QBs in this draft?

KC Joyner

(4:34 PM)

That's a very broad question. Yes is the answer but the more specific answer is a) Luck could be a truly great NFL QB, b) Jones is more of a system QB and c) Barkley may be just as good as Luck.

If the Bills are ever going to get good, they need to get Andrew Luck next year. The best thing that could happen to the Bills would be if they lost every game this coming season so they get the first pick in the draft. If I were the coach I would tell the players, play a good tough game, but in the end make sure we lose. We need to finish last and get the first pick in the draft. Tell your players, it might hurt to lose all the games this year, but we need to think of building a future championship team. You need blue chip players for the foundation of a playoff caliber team.

Lose now, WIN later.

I would start building the lines and defense in this years draft. The game is won in the trenches. You build your lines first. A good line makes an average skill position player look better than he is. You can't do crap without good lines. It all starts up front. This year I would trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick. I would trade down and take the DE from Clemson, DaQuan Bowers. The kid would have been in the top two drafted if he didn't hurt his knee. He could drop down to the middle of the first round because of the knee. This kid is going to be a monster pass rusher. I moved to South Carolina from Buffalo. I watched Bowers at Clemson which is just down the road and he is the real deal. What would be better than getting an extra high draft pick in a trade, and still be able to get the BEST defensive lineman in the draft.

Then with one of the 2nd round picks I would take a good offensive lineman. With the other 2nd rounder that I acquired in the trade, I'd take a defensive player, either a linebacker or an interior defensive lineman. (No skill players like quarterback or wideouts this year.) The skill players I would draft next year, after I have built the foundation (the trenches and defense). This year I draft all lineman, (both sides of the ball), AND DEFENSIVE players.

Like I said, you make sure you have the worst record in 2011 so you can draft Andrew Luck. Then after Luck, in the second round, I would draft a good wide receiver. You already have the backs, Jackson and Spiller. That would be my plan if I was the GM. I know the coach might get fired for losing every game to get the first draft pick and the fans would be peed off, but it's a chance worth taking, especially since I don't really care for Chan Gailey anyway. And who cares about winning 4 or 5 games next year, it won't get us in the playoffs.

Edited by JaKool

If the Bills are ever going to get good, they need to get Andrew Luck next year. The best thing that could happen to the Bills would be if they lost every game this coming season so they get the first pick in the draft. If I were the coach I would tell the players, play a good tough game, but in the end make sure we lose. We need to finish last and get the first pick in the draft. Tell your players, it might hurt to lose all the games this year, but we need to think of building a future championship team. You need blue chip players for the foundation of a playoff caliber team.

Lose now, WIN later.

I can't believe I just read this. Just....wow.

Lose now, WIN later.

I would start building the lines and defense in this years draft. The game is won in the trenches. You build your lines first. A good line makes an average skill position player look better than he is. You can't do crap without good lines. It all starts up front. This year I would trade down and get an extra 2nd round pick. I would trade down and take the DE from Clemson, DaQuan Bowers. The kid would have been in the top two drafted if he didn't hurt his knee. He could drop down to the middle of the first round because of the knee. This kid is going to be a monster pass rusher. I moved to South Carolina from Buffalo. I watched Bowers at Clemson which is just down the road and he is the real deal. What would be better than getting an extra high draft pick in a trade, and still be able to get the BEST defensive lineman in the draft.

Then with one of the 2nd round picks I would take a good offensive lineman. With the other 2nd rounder that I acquired in the trade, I'd take a defensive player, either a linebacker or an interior defensive lineman. (No skill players like quarterback or wideouts this year.) The skill players I would draft next year, after I have built the foundation (the trenches and defense). This year I draft all lineman, (both sides of the ball), AND DEFENSIVE players.

Like I said, you make sure you have the worst record in 2011 so you can draft Andrew Luck. Then after Luck, in the second round, I would draft a good wide receiver. You already have the backs, Jackson and Spiller. That would be my plan if I was the GM. I know the coach might get fired for losing every game to get the first draft pick and the fans would be peed off, but it's a chance worth taking, especially since I don't really care for Chan Gailey anyway. And who cares about winning 4 or 5 games next year, it won't get us in the playoffs.

dude we've been losing for too long now. No coach is going to tell their players to lose, if they do they should be fired. The draft isn't the only option, if we were smart we would use free agency and trades. We could have had Vick for QB and signed Hampton or Wilfork and got some other QUALITY FAs and actually draft well and we wouldn't be praying for Luck.

Lose now, WIN later.

I can see the benefits of having a high draft pick if we tank the season. But it's just not in my character or genes to tank anything. Are you serious? If you were the coach as you say, you would honestly tell your players to just give up the season? A lot of these men are players who do not know the meaning of giving up. That is how they came to be in the NFL in the first place. I see your point about getting a high pick but I doubt any player of worth will agree with you. You make the most of what you have and you never tank anything.

On second thought, are you a troll here to ruffle some feathers? Perhaps you are. Well you ruffled my feathers. Perhaps I shouldn't have posted. You got an extra reply more than you should have.

I hope our team does well this coming season. If we are still in the Andrew Luck sweepstakes next year then so be it and I hope we get him. But any team or group of men who have any moral fiber should not willingly lay down their arms and submit to the football gods. You go all out or you go home.

Screw whatever slotted pick we get. What really matters is making quality picks in the high rounds with what we have. We've sucked at this for years though and it needs to change. Gunning for the top pick is for fools. We got very lucky with Bruce I will admit. A quality team makes the right calls and drafts the right guys no matter what slot. We need to start making the right picks. Time will tell though. No amount of high draft picks is a guarantee of turning a team around. It's quality, it's always about quality no matter what round.

If Luck is there next year and if we have the chance to get him, then go after him. But telling a team to suck it and bend over for a season is no way of building a solid foundation.

Edited by Pilsner

Lose now, WIN later.

When I started reading this, I thought you were serious. Then I looked over saw it was your "first" post & knew this was a joke. You put just enough good info in there to throw some off the track, but the false parody of those of us who don't want to win meaningless games AFTER the season is down the drain is evident.

Edited by Albany,n.y.

Well I made this post more as a joke than anything but actually got some pretty good response.

Im fairly certain we will be getting close to that top pick regardless of how hard we try to win or lose, especially depending on how this draft goes. Call me negative but I dont expect us to add many good players early in this draft, and if we are lucky/unlucky enough have the top pick next year, I wouldnt have any confidence in our FO to even draft Luck. I think they would pass on him.

Lose now, WIN later.

Too much hogwash in there, I can't even reply to it all. "hey guys, play tough but make sure you lose. You guys obviously suck and won be good until we get Andrew Luck, deal with it scrubs.". Yeeeeeeaaaaaaah. You don't think one person would come out and blab about that? You're a joke.

Did you wath Blowers play the previous few years? HS number one rated player coming out. Does NOTHING until his Senior year, then decides it's time to get paid. No thx.

Lose now, WIN later.

I am not compareing Luck to locker but I remember Locker was talked about going #1 last years draft... then look what happened... Noone knows what will happen in next year's draft. Going 0-16 is never a good thing.

I am not compareing Luck to locker but I remember Locker was talked about going #1 last years draft... then look what happened... Noone knows what will happen in next year's draft. Going 0-16 is never a good thing.

Except Locker was terrible last year.

If you want to tell all of your players to lose next year, you have no business being in the league.

I agree that Luck would be the best thing to ever happen to this franchise and would put us in the best possible position going forward, but losing every game next year is not the way to go about it.

Now, there really is no best way to get Luck on this team, but if you have to have him, I would rather pull a "Ricky Williams" type trade in the Draft next year and give up our entire Draft to get him if the team at #1 would go for it. While this isn't great, I would definitely do it providing Ralph is willing to spend some money. What I would do is Draft Defense this season and try to get that side of the ball as solidified as possible. Then, keeping in mind I will not have a Draft next year, Ralph would have to open the pocket book BIG TIME in FA next year and buy some good players instead of drafting them.

So, perhaps the best chance of getting Luck next year would be to Trade the entire draft next year for the #1 pick (providing the team at #1 is willing) and then just sign the best possible FA's you can get at need positions, whatever they may be next year to compensate for not having a draft.

Is this the best way to go about it? I don't know. I do think Luck is that good, so if you want to get him, you will have to get to #1 somehow. Would be interesting if it did happen.

dude we've been losing for too long now. No coach is going to tell their players to lose, if they do they should be fired. The draft isn't the only option, if we were smart we would use free agency and trades. We could have had Vick for QB and signed Hampton or Wilfork and got some other QUALITY FAs and actually draft well and we wouldn't be praying for Luck.

If we do not address defense big time in this draft, the coach won't have to say anything to the team about winning or losing. We can just sit back and watch the other team pound the ball down our throats play after play. We'd have the highest rated Pass Defense because the only time someone would throw the ball is when they were bored of running it or their RBs were winded.

I agree, last year Locker and Ponder were both projected to go high if they declared for the draft they didn't...This time next year it will be interesting to see where Luck falls...asking him to repeat last years performance with a new HC, and to remain healthy for the entire season without hurting his chances of going 1st over all next year is highly unlikely. I don't understand the logic of wanting to go 0-16 this season just to guarantee we get luck next year.